Perspective

Ed Mercanti

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I believe in keeping things in perspective. We just had the anniversary of the D-Day landing. Did you know all the soldiers, sailors and airmen who were disabled during WWII were not retired or discharged with severance pay? Prior to 1 October 1949, on which date the Career Compensation Act of 1949, Public Law 351, 81st Congress, became effective, there was no provision of law whereby an enlisted man with less than 20 years of service could be discharged with severance pay or be retired by reason of physical disability. Under then existing law, compensation for service-connected disabilities was entirely under the jurisdiction of the VA. When an enlisted soldier was separated for physical disability, he was given a CDD (Certificate of Disability Discharge) to enable him or her to apply for benefits from the VA. So while the military's Disability Evaluation System is far from perfect, at least today disabled military members can be retired with pay and benefits.

I believe in keeping things in perspective. We just had the anniversary of the D-Day landing. Did you know all the soldiers, sailors and airmen who were disabled during WWII were not retired or discharged with severance pay? Prior to 1 October 1949, on which date the Career Compensation Act of 1949, Public Law 351, 81st Congress, became effective, there was no provision of law whereby an enlisted man with less than 20 years of service could be discharged with severance pay or be retired by reason of physical disability. Under then existing law, compensation for service-connected disabilities was entirely under the jurisdiction of the VA. When an enlisted soldier was separated for physical disability, he was given a CDD (Certificate of Disability Discharge) to enable him or her to apply for benefits from the VA. So while the military's Disability Evaluation System is far from perfect, at least today disabled military members can be retired with pay and benefits.

I will be the first to admit!!! I am grateful for the IDES!! Where else, even in the federal civilian sector, can you get injured while on duty, and possibly get retired or long-term benefits? I look for the good in things. I recall being in the unemployment office over a decade ago and hearing people complain about the long lines and having to wait at least 2 weeks to get their first payment for unemployment benefits :confused:! I'm like Wow-it's money you have paid into unemployment insurance and sometimes not, that will give you a check. Why complain if you have to stand in a long line for a check or benefits?? But complaining is some people way of venting and it's free too!!!

c47sreadytodropusparatroopers.jpg