Question regading PEB process

Again a HUGE THANK YOU for your words of wisdom and advice. This is a true roller coaster ride. The fact that my son is 18 years old and having to make decisions that most adults do not have to make in a lifetime only makes it harder. I am sure that once we get him home things will be much better! That is a Mom speaking. LOL:)

Hi all.... a forum N00B here.

Case management is what I do for a 9 to 5...but I just can't seem to leave my work in the office, so here I am. The more I delve in, the more I learn, and the more I can assist my Soldiers.

I currently have over 100 open cases at my level. So hopefully I can be of some help.

SGT P,

Welcome! I like your attitude, it speaks to your professionalism as an NCO. I wish there were more like you.

Anyway, good to have you here and we look forward to your contributions.

Again a HUGE THANK YOU for your words of wisdom and advice. This is a true roller coaster ride. The fact that my son is 18 years old and having to make decisions that most adults do not have to make in a lifetime only makes it harder. I am sure that once we get him home things will be much better! That is a Mom speaking. LOL:)

I wish your son the best. It seems clear based on the facts given that your son will be retired. He is very young and this is likely to be a huge adjustment, not only as to what it means financially, but also what it means for him in terms of what he will do after he is retired. I hope he can keep up his spirits and that all goes well for him.

Keep in mind what others have said, the VA is the next stop.

SGT P,

Welcome! I like your attitude, it speaks to your professionalism as an NCO. I wish there were more like you.

Anyway, good to have you here and we look forward to your contributions.

Jason,

Thank you very much for your warm welcome! I truly appreciate it.

It is disappointing to see so many Soldiers misled due to barracks lawyering and outright BS. There are so many urban myths out there about the board process...I just want to see Soldiers are given the correct information.

Look forward to posting more!

SGT P

My son went yesterday for his dictation and recommendation for PEB and was told that the neurologist has said he has a hereditary nerve condition linked to mine and that is causing the loss of mobility and sensation of his right foot. They wanted to administrative release him. I think he said ELS - early release separation I think. He told them that this in NO WAY related to me and that my disease was not hereditary. They have scheduled him another appointment with the neurologist for the 24th to discuss with him his report. They are also requesting a letter from my physician regarding my disease and all past school physicals on my son. I am concerned that they are going to be able to change the rules here and my son be sent home with nothing and not able to walk. Any advise on how to proceed would be welcomed!

My son went yesterday for his dictation and recommendation for PEB and was told that the neurologist has said he has a hereditary nerve condition linked to mine and that is causing the loss of mobility and sensation of his right foot. They wanted to administrative release him. I think he said ELS - early release separation I think.
Blatantly illegal, in my opinion. The presumption remains that even if it were hereditary, that military service aggravated the condition.

He told them that this in NO WAY related to me and that my disease was not hereditary. They have scheduled him another appointment with the neurologist for the 24th to discuss with him his report.
As always, it will be important to see what they say.

They are also requesting a letter from my physician regarding my disease and all past school physicals on my son.
You are certainly under no obligation to provide confidential medical information about yourself. It is a bit more complicated regarding his school physicals, but I have a hard time seeing what action they could take against him if his school physicals were not provided. However, I see little harm if there is no mention in the physicals of any such condition or symptoms and it may help his position that this was neither pre-existing nor natural progression.

I am concerned that they are going to be able to change the rules here and my son be sent home with nothing and not able to walk. Any advise on how to proceed would be welcomed!

Be prepared to fight. Don't let them deny him benefits without a fight. Let us know any questions and how it all goes.

I just received a call from the liaison that is working with my son for his PEB. She said that the physician agreed to recommend my son for PEB. She also said that the PEB process is taking anywhere from 220+ days. My question is that from the time the PEB prosess starts from now or is the time he has been sitting in medical hold count towards the time. Also I though I undertstood the MEB/PEB process but I am still confused. Why would they recommend him for PEB and we have not yet recieved his disability percentage? I though PEB was if you disagreed with the MEB findings - am I correct?

Susan

The PEB is where the rating will come from. This is where they will list everything, and assign whatever percentage to it. The time your son was in med hold will not count. The 220+ time frame is probably inflated a little, just in case it is kicked back for what ever reason.

The timeframe you received is not indicative of how long it will actually take from such and such a date. That is to say, it is not like time in service where his service may have started 1 June 2009 and 220 days 'x' will occur. 220 days is just a rough estimate you were given. Could be longer, could be shorter - all contingent on the complexity of your son's case, the caseload at the PEB, the caseload for the docs needed to make his case, and so on and so forth. Most likely however, it will be shorter than 220 days.

Thank you for your information. Also I was confused about how the PEB comes up with the percentage. Is it subjective or is there a scale that they rate everyone by and everyone gets the same rating if you fall into a category outlined for that percentage? See I told you I was confused!!! LOL Also, there was something about if the rating is below 30% then he receives a lump sum - if this is the case will he still receive the GI benefits and medical benefits? I know that I sound like a broken record, I am just concerned that my son is only 18 years old and after 41 days in boot camp he walked in to the marines an is not able to walk out.

While I was writing this my son called and said that he is being sent to RSP tomorrow and that he is being PEB with due to a Demyelinating Polyneuropathy of unknown origin. Has anyone ever heard of this and what does it mean?

Thank you all for your support and prayers.

The PEB uses the VA Schedule for Rating Disabilities (VASRD) as guidance in their rating determinations, a link to which is here:

VBA 38 CFR Book C (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs)

Servicemembers are rated on the degree of their disability, as you will no doubt gather from taking a look at the VASRD. I would not say the PEB findings are subjective in an overall sense but they are forced to consider some individual factors in each case (rank, time in service, military specialty).

If he is rated under 30% he is separated with severance pay, which for him would be base pay x 2 x 3, this equates to 6 months' pay. He will still maintain his Post 9/11 Servicemember's Relief Act benefits. He will not be eligible for medical benefits but his injuries will be cared for by the VA.

If rated over 30% he is retired with medical benefits, a monthly pension (based on his disability percentage), and all the priveleges that go with having a military ID. Since he has been in boot camp he has not had the chance to enjoy the PX, commissary, and so on and so forth.

Never heard of that condition, I would take a look in the VASRD and also do some research to see if the condition is synonomous with any others (in case that particular terminology does not show in the VASRD).

Good luck and keep us updated!

Hi Guys........thought I would post an update on our son. He has been moved to RSP and told us yesterday that his package will be sent out on Monday 8/11/09 to Washington. They have finally determined that his injury was related to his service time and that he will be PEB. There has been no change in his leg and he is still unable to walk or stand for more than 10 to 15 minutes. His PEBLO told him that he should be looking at a 40 to 50 percent disability. I have learned over the past seven months that you never believe anything anyone says unless it is posted here on this board. LOL!!!!!!!

Our son was told that he can not be on base longer than 12 months. He will be pushing 10 months plus if all goes as planned. What happens if we need to appeal? I had someone ask me if they (the Marines) have been dragging their feet getting his paperwork to Washington so we will not have time to appeal. I said that would of taken to much time and planning for them to think of that but I just want to make sure. Anyone have any thoughts????

Hope all is well and that you have had a safe and enjoyable summer.

I spoke with our son yesterday and confirmed that he was told that he can not be on base MCRD pass his 1 year mark. His paperwork package has not been sent to Washington yet. They said it still needs a signature and should be out by the first part of next week. If we follow the schedule that his PEBLO stated it will take approx 3 months for it to be returned and then another 30 to 45 days for his discharge date. That will be another 4 months which will only leave about 30 days before he will be at his 1 year mark. Will that be enough time if we need to appeal or if there are any other delays. You know that that we are dealing with the military and anything can happen! What happens if he goes over the 1 year mark? Please share your thoughts.

Question regarding PEB process

He can be administratively assigned in the local area without much difficulty- do not let anyone tell you otherwise. Anyone focusing on the one-year mark is simply trying to ensure that his case winds down soon enough so that he is not their administrative problem.

I have often had clients who have been "ad assigned" to local commands because their units deployed or there was some other reason why they could not remain in that particular post.

Right now, your focus should be on the case itself and ensuring that your son receives up to date copies of any new medical record entries and nonmedical assessments.

Otherwise, just keep doing what you are doing- being a proud and supportive parent. That is what he needs most right now and it appears to me from your posts that you are doing a great job!

v/r

Jack Gately

Thanks Jack.......having this forum and so much support and prayers has been such a blessing. I will let our son know not to worry about the 1 year mark. I must say that the marines have taken an eighteen year old boy and made him into a man in a little over six months. We are all so very proud. Be safe in your travels and remember to always keep the faith.

Susan :)

Thanks Jack.......having this forum and so much support and prayers has been such a blessing. I will let our son know not to worry about the 1 year mark. I must say that the marines have taken an eighteen year old boy and made him into a man in a little over six months. We are all so very proud. Be safe in your travels and remember to always keep the faith.

Susan :)

I agree with jack...the one year issue is not your problem, it is the marines problem to figure out. Take the case nice and slow so it is done right. Don't let the time crunch get to you because the focus should be making sure your son gets a favorable outcome for his condition.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Nate

Has your son spoken with a rep at the JAG office yet?
It sounds like they're trying to get him pushed out the door as quickly as possible. It's his right to appeal the PEB findings if he's not pleased with them. No one will tell him no just because he's at that 1 year mark.
If he hasn't already, have him contact the JAG office. He should have some sort of legal representation for this process.

Yes he has spoken with the JAG office and has been assigned a PEBLO. I am not sure who told him about the 1 year mark if it was the PEBLO or the DI's. He said that his paperwork should be sent out hopefully by the end of the month. He has not seen his package yet so hopefully there will not be any further delays and he will on step closer to discharge. I will keep all posted as news merits. Again thank you for the support and prayers.:)

Spoke with my son and his paperwork went out on Friday 9/4/09 from MCRD to Washington. He did not get to see it prior to it being sent though he did say that he got a copy the other day and that there was NO mention of genetic or hereditary or pre-existing condition anywhere in the paperwork. I was really upset when he said that he did not see it prior to going out. He also said that it should be anywhere from 40 to 60 day before it is returned with his findings. Does anyone know how long it is taking now for the finding to be returned to the base? Also is anyone familiar with Home Awaiting Orders? I spoke with someone who said that we could request for our son to receive HAO (home awaiting orders), and that he would be a good candidate due to the fact his brother is a marine and that he would not be a flight risk. Anyone know any more about HAO? Our son is at MCRD in San Diego and I have heard that the two marine training bases MCRD and PI are not the same regarding HOA. Can anyone confirm this for me. Once again thank you in advance for your time and support. Always in our prayers.