Recent Bipolar Type II Diagnosis

Final_Out

Registered Member
BLUF: Command directed BH eval gave diagnosis of Bipolar Type II couple days ago, looking for some assistance on way ahead and what to expect. I have browsed the forums which have helped answer some questions but am anxious about what the future is going to be like.

I had been having a lot of mental health issues since I joined in 2005. For context I am a SSG in the Army, and been both reserve and active duty throughout the last 19 years. I am currently active duty and since roughly the end of 2022, I have been in the lowest of lows I have had in a long time and my behavior when getting pushed over the line has either been acting out violently by trying to break items, or a full breakdown of crying which has happened in front of the Junior enlisted, of course the response was "you can't do that in front of joes" which would make me more upset since I really felt I couldn't control it. I started therapy through an off post referral and after a few sessions and descriptions of past BH issues, she said that she suspected BPII, but knew that a diagnosis could cause issues with the Army. A couple weeks later we attended JRTC, where I had made a comment in frustration caused them to pull me out of the box, and was told to attend a mandated BH appointment. So after a roughly 4 hour session, the doc said he was going to diagnose BPII, and that he would send the information to my commander and I will have my medication intake on the 1st. I skipped a lot of my BH past, but it is something that makes sense however, I had really planned on trying to stay in to pay off more debt and try to go to retirement. Unfortunately my time in the Reserve means I only have roughly 9 years of Federal Active time. Of course my leadership are all like they are wrong you were just having a hard time adjusting, and saying that its not a big deal. With all the research I've done in the past week I have assessed that it is 100% a MED board to be found fit for duty, with the outcome being almost 95% an unfit for duty due to the condition, I say that because I have read about those with 18> 20< years of active service, which I do not fit into. Honestly I'm anxious, and scared. I came back on active to get my finances back in order get promoted finally despite completing SLC 3 years ago, and then either get experience for a good career outside the Army or go to retirement. Feels like that dream is going to get pulled away. I know its something I can't really plan for know but I'm afraid of how much this will impact me financially, and how much it feels like I am letting down my team mates. Asking around with my leadership for what to expect is coming up empty too so any help on planning on what I have to do and what my expected timeline may be would be very helpful. Thank you.

Staying in is an unlikely outcome. Have a plan that involves medical retirement. If you minimize your symptoms in the BH exam you will be out with a small payment. Be honest about your struggles with the VA examiner.

Do your best to stay out of trouble. The manic half of bipolar often leads to legal issues. Avoid that complication.

You didn’t mention much about your treatment plan. Hope you are working the plan. Pills alone will not work. It will take maximum effort.

Staying in is an unlikely outcome. Have a plan that involves medical retirement. If you minimize your symptoms in the BH exam you will be out with a small payment. Be honest about your struggles with the VA examiner.

Do your best to stay out of trouble. The manic half of bipolar often leads to legal issues. Avoid that complication.

You didn’t mention much about your treatment plan. Hope you are working the plan. Pills alone will not work. It will take maximum effort.
Thank you that does help. My appointment for my treatment plan is on the 1st of May but was informed that it would likely be a mood stabilizer of some type and maybe and anti depressant. I’ll keep updating my process so it can be helpful to others

Glad you’re getting some help. It sounds like it’s been a struggle for a while. I’m diagnosed with bipolar 2 and just finished my BH DBQ yesterday. I read through the DBQ beforehand and I tried to be honest with the assessor but I ended up minimizing some of my symptoms. I just couldn’t help it! So my DBQ came back looking pretty low. It’s hard because I’m doing so much better on medications, but I was in a terrible place before medications. Should I have described how I was before medicated!? I don’t know the answer, the system incentivizes being sick.

I wish I would have had notes with me during the encounter to help me remember to talk about suicidal ideation and paranoia.

I hope it all works out for you!

Glad you’re getting some help. It sounds like it’s been a struggle for a while. I’m diagnosed with bipolar 2 and just finished my BH DBQ yesterday. I read through the DBQ beforehand and I tried to be honest with the assessor but I ended up minimizing some of my symptoms. I just couldn’t help it! So my DBQ came back looking pretty low. It’s hard because I’m doing so much better on medications, but I was in a terrible place before medications. Should I have described how I was before medicated!? I don’t know the answer, the system incentivizes being sick.

I wish I would have had notes with me during the encounter to help me remember to talk about suicidal ideation and paranoia.

I hope it all works out for you!
You can file a VARR if your MH condition is found unfitting.

Thank you that does help. My appointment for my treatment plan is on the 1st of May but was informed that it would likely be a mood stabilizer of some type and maybe and anti depressant. I’ll keep updating my process so it can be helpful to others
In the meantime, do your best to stay the middle road. Also, don’t expect the pills to help immediately. It often takes 2 months to fully kick in. These meds often have a long half life, so it takes a while to get to a therapeutic serum level. Talk to your provider about medication expectations.

So was told last Thursday by the psychologist who did the evaluation that he would have the information to my commander in one or two days. My understanding is that a BPII diagnosis at minimum would be a temporary profile. However checking MEDPROs I’m seeing nothing. Went to ask in person for an update but they closed at 1530. Like I should have received a profile by now right? Hard to start planning for things without a good starting point.

Get use to waiting. Nothing in this process goes fast.