Reserve MEB Advice Needed

DCasper

PEB Forum Regular Member
I am a Reserve Soldier with 29 years or combined active duty and reserve time. I recently requested to retire and was told that I am required to go through an MEB/PEB prior to retiring. This is due to a P3 rating for hearing and mental health regarding my 3 deployments to Iraq. I was informed about the MEB/PEB three months ago and have not heard anything since then.

I am hoping to someone can give me some advice or information regarding a few questions.

1. Can I request to be placed on active duty during the MEB/PEB process? I understand the Warrior Transition Unit for active duty, but what is there for a Reservist?

2. How long will I have to wait to begin the MEB?

3. How long will the process take?

I would appreciate any information and advice anyone can give. I have no idea how this process works for a Reserve Soldier and hope someone can at least let me know what to expect.

Thank you in advance,
Dave

There is a relatively new program out there from the JAG. You need to find the Medical Evaluation Board Outreach Counsel, located in the Warrior Transition Unit near you (google it). Speak to an Attorney that specializes in helping Soldiers navigate the MEB/PEB process. Answers to your questions.... 1. As a reservist you can either do 1380's and get paid for your time or RST for the appointments that you have for the MEB/PEB or counsel meetings. 2. If you speak with the Attorney from the office mentioned above they can start the process pretty quickly for you. In the meantime you should be getting all of your medical paperwork in order. 3. The process is different for all people...and can be painfully slow on the Reserve side....
Frank