Sailor with (possible) PTSD/Depession/Anxiety

wowimonfire12

Registered Member
Good Morning all,

For those past and present: thank you for your service. I am a civilian supervisor here on a mostly Navy base, but we do have some Army and Coast Guard. I have a young sailor who was victim to a great of amount of domestic abuse growing up. This kid saw things that many of us only see in movies. When he first arrived I was struck by his professionalism and performance: he is a great troop to have.

Recently he went through alot of sexual harrassment at work (everything was reported) and it seems as ever since then he has been different. I had a brief talk with him saying that alot of what is going on is bringing up old memories: memories that were gone until just last year. He told me he goes through sprouts of time where he will have no interest in anything or anyone, feels very down and worried. He said during these times he will always check his house to make sure noone is inside, his sex drive is low and some days he feels downright depressed.

I am no expert on dealing with stuff; so I was able to talk him into meeting with a off-base therapist using OneSource. As a civilian supervisor, I am worried about him getting screwed over by the horrible military chain of command that is present in this unit; is there anything more I can do for this young man? He really is a sharp troop to have; I just want to make sure he is being taken care of. Thanks.

Wowimonfire12
OK, So what is the update? Going thru OneSource sounds like the right decision if the chain of command is in flux. However, the chain of command cannot place themselves between a service member and the local medical command. If this Sailor goes to the behavior health department and seeks help, the chain of command cannot interfeer or prevent them from making and keeping their appointments. If they do, all the Sailor has to do is inform their counselor, and the medical commander will be having a one sided conversation with them.
Let me know how their doing!

Hey I have thes same issues I have not had my MEB yet how have you made out?

any advise or pointers?

Thanks

Scott

Hey everyone,

Well he is not doing better, I can say that. The good news is the doctor wants to write an MEB and send it up. The chain, in my opinion, is horrible here. They don't care how he is doing, they just yell at him for seeing a doctor about it without going through the chain. I think his diagnosis was PTSD and Bi Polar Disorder. I know nothing about PTSD; but I have a daughter with bi-polar and I know it is very hard to live with; especially with all the stress. The kid hasn't been in trouble in his career, his PT tests are good, evals great, violunteers, etc etc.. I just hope he gets to keep his GI Bill and not be run over by the machine and adminstativly seperated.