Spine Fusion and possible MEB

ben41

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey everyone! This website has been a great resource for information but I had a few lingering questions that maybe someone can help me with.

For background info, I am in the Air Force, in my late 20's and have 7.5 years TIS. This all started when I was exercising 4 years ago and herniated a disc. Fast forward to January of this year and I just had a single level lumbar fusion after the first disectomy failed with another disc above it already bulging. I am still recovering from surgery but have questions about a possible MEB.

Both my PCM and Neurosurgeon said they always hope for a full recovery but to keep my expectations realistic. I will always have some limitations but hopefully not have pain constantly. To me this seems to be a problem for deployments and limits work/pt.

My PCM hasn't said anything about a MEB throughout this process but after going through this surgery it has really opened my eyes that I want to do everything possible to take care of my back and a military lifestyle is definitely not ideal for that.

My questions are if my PCM knows that I will have some limitations after this surgery such as lifting, sit-ups, running etc is he waiting to start a MEB after I have a full recovery? A fusion could take up to a year which is when my DOS is. Could I ask him to start it earlier?

I have seen people get caught as they medically outprocess for separation and be told they are going up for a MEB and have to extend. This is something I do not want to happen so if a MEB is going to happen I would prefer it to be in a time that does not happen at the end of my enlistment and to be able to plan for my future in some way so that I know if this will happen or not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Unfortunately you'll probably be waiting awhile. I had L5-S1 fused last May and it took awhile for my PCM to even consider MEB. She wanted me to wait a bit longer to let me heal more but I had to explain to her that my 1 year mark from surgery and my EOS date were the same month...this May. I'm not waiting on AFPC to change my reenlistment code to 4K so I can officially extend. I know that's not what you want to hear but better to be prepared for it.

Wow, same fusion and your advice is exactly what I am looking for, thanks for the info and replying! What is happening to you is exactly what I don't want to happen to me. I am fine waiting till I heal but was worried about your exact situation if I don't heal well enough and they start the MEB too close to my DOS.

I will definitely start pushing for a MEB if I don't come back a 100% so I can avoid extending.

Did you just keep bugging your PCM, switch PCMs, talk to the Pueblo or patient advocate when you requested a MEB be performed?

Again thanks for your help!

I had my L5/S1 fusion in March 2014, and I still have a delayed fusion is what the Dr calls it. I call it a failure on the operation. My back stays hurt, many times I wear my back brace, and when it really hurts I use the cane. it has been more than 2 years since the procedure and all they want to do is give me epidoral shots (which don't work). I have only two options now, live with the pain for the rest of my life or install a stimulator in my back. I am so in the middle in all this that I seldom go outside with my garndboys and watch them ride their motorbikes or just play. This really sucks.

My PCM kept putting me for Temp profile before and after fusion. It was when I asked about how long until I am placed in the MEB. He said you should've been MEB one year after being on temp profile. I said to him well I'll be darned. You have all this knowledge and you have been just stringing me along. PCM is a retired AF PA. Once I get into his office and he sees it is me, it's like that's his cue to click on the computer and send me out, not even in office for 5 minutes. I told him he is worthless and should find another profession that has nothing to do with health care. HE REALLY SUCKS...

But ya that's my story. Long road ahead. Hope you have better results with your PCM and the MEB.

I had my L5/S1 fusion in March 2014, and I still have a delayed fusion is what the Dr calls it. I call it a failure on the operation. My back stays hurt, many times I wear my back brace, and when it really hurts I use the cane. it has been more than 2 years since the procedure and all they want to do is give me epidoral shots (which don't work). I have only two options now, live with the pain for the rest of my life or install a stimulator in my back. I am so in the middle in all this that I seldom go outside with my garndboys and watch them ride their motorbikes or just play. This really sucks.

My PCM kept putting me for Temp profile before and after fusion. It was when I asked about how long until I am placed in the MEB. He said you should've been MEB one year after being on temp profile. I said to him well I'll be darned. You have all this knowledge and you have been just stringing me along. PCM is a retired AF PA. Once I get into his office and he sees it is me, it's like that's his cue to click on the computer and send me out, not even in office for 5 minutes. I told him he is worthless and should find another profession that has nothing to do with health care. HE REALLY SUCKS...

But ya that's my story. Long road ahead. Hope you have better results with your PCM and the MEB.
You can swap providers or get ahold of a patient advocate. You definitely do not have to keep seeing the same garbage pcm. I had the same thing when I initially hurt my back, I had to beg to get seen in flight med that day and I saw a real MD and actually got somewhere rather than motrin and a 30 day profile.

I just bugged the PCM and really had to break it down to her that I was separating in 4 months and that we might want to start the process. I literally had to write it down on paper showing that my 1 yr on profile, my 1 yr from surgery, and my separation date were all in the same month. Then a light came on and she agreed we should start the process and she took me down to talk w/ the PEBLO and get her up to speed as to what was going on. Of course March comes around and no word of anything, so I had to get ahold of my PEBLO and remind her of the same thing....I'm due to separate in May. She acted like it was news to her. They finally did a MRILO (modified RILO) and sent it off to AFPC and w/in a week they replied back w/ the option to separate on my original DOS or go through w/ the MED board and be extended out until completion. Now I'm just waiting on AFPC to change my reenlistment code so that I can actually extend.

I requested to change my PCM 4 times. Tricare changed it then next thing you know, I get a letter in mail saying my PCM has changed and low and behold, it's that worthless dude again. Im not sure if it's the location im in that this particular PCM sees only Active Guard & Reserve (AGR) Soldiers. Everyone that has done a PHA there always sees this particular Dr. Well he's really not a Dr but a PA. I'll try again to change it but it might go back to this original pa. Ill let you know

VA question:
- My neck has a service connected rating of 10% (Its called a cervical strain and i believe the rating was based on a slight lack of ROM and some pain) however, it has progressively gotten worse over time (also I made the mistake of being on pain medication during exam so it temporarily reduced my symptoms during exam: I realise that was a poor decision)
- Anyways, my question is that since this condition has worsened (meaning, I believe the ROM is worse) can I file for an increase even though I haven’t sought treatment and have no additional medical records and just expect that I will be granted a C&P exam since it is service connected? Also, assuming I am granted an exam, if the ROM is worse, can it be assumed it would result in a rating increase?