Ton of questions...very few answers...

wbh

Registered Member
First of all, thank you all for providing such a valuable resource for people going through this process. I have learned more here in the last few weeks than I have in the last few months from the manuals. Secondly, I want to apologize in advance if this post is long, drawn out and rambling.

For a little background, I injured my back in Kuwait in 2010 and was diagnosed with degenerative disc disease once I got back to the states. Fast forward to January 2015 and I hurt my back again. A follow up MRI showed a herniated disc at L5-S1 with spinal cord impingement. I finally had surgery in June 2015. Due to the fact that my surgeon wrote that I will never be able to be on a boat again because my spine lost the ability for shock absorption, I was referred for MEB in September 2015. I was told that the package would be sent to PPC for the PEB within 90 days. As of today, my package is still at our local medical clinic.

I did just receive an email from the doc at medical with my diagnoses that are included in the MEB. They (along with codes) are: M51.27 (722.10) L5-S1 Disc Herniation without Myelopathy Status Post Hemilaminectomy and L5-S1 Discectomy, M51.36 (722.52) Lumbar Disc Degeneration, M54.5 (724.2) Low Back Pain.

Is there anything I can do to expedite this process at all? Does anyone have an estimate as to how much longer I am going to be waiting. I hate to ask such broad questions, I just do not want to get surprised and get my walking papers and have no house or job to go to. I am 33 so the quicker I can get started on a new job, the better.

With the conditions listed above, what percentage can I expect? I sincerely appreciate the help, and any tips or advice will be graciously accepted. Thanks again!

In terms of the ratings, I suggest you Google the Board of Veterans Appeals website. There you can search for similar cases and get a bead on how the VA rated them.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the response, and I will definitely do that. With regards to the Coast Guard, is the 90 day time frame to submit the MEB package to PPC a mandate or just a general guideline?

The USGC does not use the integrated process like DoD AD. Expect a longer process than DoD personnel. There are several "time lines" post by coasties on this site for a guess as to overall timing.

Best wishes
Mike

Hey Mike I am a BM3 going through the MEB process in the coast guard for depression and anxiety. It is a very lengthy process. The ipeb will take up to 3 months to render findings. And now I've been waiting a little over a month to find out my out date. Talk to Mrs. Brown, Joey at PSC-de. She's the ombudsman who will walk you through the process.