Transition Question for anybody already Med Retired

katy2160

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Anybody out there who has already medically retired, I have some questions and request for advice.
I was medically retired at 80% Army and 100% VA. I Started IDES in Jan 2012. Went on terminal leave 01NOV, and it ended on 24DEC. I mailed my CRSC claim and they got the packet the other day. How long did it take to process you claim and receive payment? How long did it take to get your VA official letter and payment? I had planned on getting all my stuff going buy 01FEB based off of what all the agencies told me. I assumed my VA was done and should be automatic, CRSC folks told me a 19 day average, and since I got out before the first Army retirement should hit on the 1FEB as well. I plan on blowing up phones tomorrow, what are some of the questions I should ask to make sure it's not laying in a pile, 4 kids to feed, I can't live with delays.

First, CRSC will not be able to complete your claim until your VA ratings are final. One relies on the other. I retired and my terminal leave ended on 26 June. I got my first Army paycheck 1 August. My VA claim was finalized on 20 October. I filed my CRSC on 20 Nov. They adjudicated and made a decision om=n my case on 10 Dec. I got notification of my approved claim on 21 Dec.

Your biggest hurdle is going to be waiting for your final VA ratings. They take one to a few months. Remember, what you left service with was proposed ratings, not approved ratings. Don't count on this going fast, it will not. Just hang in there and do what you can until it all hits. What is your job prospects looking like?

Anybody out there who has already medically retired, I have some questions and request for advice.
I was medically retired at 80% Army and 100% VA. I Started IDES in Jan 2012. Went on terminal leave 01NOV, and it ended on 24DEC. I mailed my CRSC claim and they got the packet the other day. How long did it take to process you claim and receive payment? How long did it take to get your VA official letter and payment? I had planned on getting all my stuff going buy 01FEB based off of what all the agencies told me. I assumed my VA was done and should be automatic, CRSC folks told me a 19 day average, and since I got out before the first Army retirement should hit on the 1FEB as well. I plan on blowing up phones tomorrow, what are some of the questions I should ask to make sure it's not laying in a pile, 4 kids to feed, I can't live with delays.

Congrats, on getting your ratings. I have a question, if you could help me for I too am just awaiting my ratings.
How did you get the 80% DoD. I thought you can only get max 75% unless you got over 30 years. Do you have 20 years AFS or are you Chapter 61? This was from
The multiplier percentage is at the option of the member who may chose either the percentage of disability assigned or the years of creditable service times 2½%.

75% is correct, not sure how the 80% will go, but we will see. Thanks for the heads up on the timeline, didn't know that about the ratings, watching it on ebenifits, it restarted on 13DEC and is in the reviewing evidence phases. It is kind of lame to wait 8 months for a proposed rating, get it. Then wait another 4 months to get the same one lol, but I can't complain, people wait years. Luckily I started school and got certified to be a VA caregiver for my wife in the mean time, guess ill be getting a few sizable deposits in a few months, assuming I get back pay for csrc and va and they don't count the army retirement against me.

Congrats, on getting your ratings. I have a question, if you could help me for I too am just awaiting my ratings.
How did you get the 80% DoD. I thought you can only get max 75% unless you got over 30 years. Do you have 20 years AFS or are you Chapter 61? This was from
The multiplier percentage is at the option of the member who may chose either the percentage of disability assigned or the years of creditable service times 2½%.
I just got 90% DoD and 100% VA, but the forms show the max you get paid is 75%.... so the rating is higher but not the payment..

I just got 90% DoD and 100% VA, but the forms show the max you get paid is 75%.... so the rating is higher but not the payment..

Indeed, disability retired pay is calculated on the basis of your actual disability rating (e.g., 30% disability rating) or length of service rating (2.5% x years of service), whichever is higher.

To that extent, the military disability rating percentage is capped at 75%. Albeit, the length of service rating no longer has the 75% cap.

Enjoy; you earned and deserve your military disability compensation benefit! ;)

Thus, I quite often comment that "possessing well-informed knowledge is truly a powerful equalizer."

Best Wishes!

Is there any restrictions on what kind of job one gets after a medical retirement? An example if someone became a police officer or something really physical would VA look into it or does anyone have expierience with a situation like this?
VA doesn't care if you work or not. I know many that receive VA benefits that are firemen and policemen. When injured in the line of duty the VA will ONLY cover the rated condition if it was affected, otherwise it is all on your insurance. The VA will not cover anything else, unless you are that 100%.

Can anyone help me fill out the CRSC and steps in how to fill and requirement, just got my final letter in EBENEFIT DOD-20% Combat related 90% VA

Vince what exactly are you looking for? I basically cut and pasted each condition from the DA 199 into the DD 2860, then attached all of the VA paperwork, the DA 199 and Med Board paperwork and sent it in. They sent me an email when HRC got it and I got my determination in about 30 days at 100% CRSC.

Shane, I would like to know how to apply and supporting documents for the DD2860 before sending it. Since i just got my Final Letter and nothing to do except job search. lol

ok Vince. started with the DD 2860 I gave a short event summary who, what, when, and where then cut and pasted the disability from the DA 199 for the 8 disabilities I was claiming. For the records I sent;
retirement order
DD214
orders showing in country and out of country
orders for combat awards
IPEB proceedings DA 199
DA 3947
DA 3349
Line of Duty Determination
in country MedEvac card
in country medical records
305th Hospital records
Kenner Army Health Clinic records
Physical Disability Evaluation System
MEB Narrative Summary (NARSUM)
IDES NARRATIVE SUMMARY
DVA DES summary
Department of Veterans Affairs Rating Decision

about 80 pages total and sent it all to;

Department of the Army
Army Human Resources Command
ATTN: AHRC-PDP-V
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Dept. 480
Fort Knox, KY 40122
eFAX 1-502-613-9550

Not all just the records summaries... Doctors notes that I had been given by the CBWTU, 80 pages is not that much my file is about 7 inches thick.. and only about the final treatments and dispositions none of the surgery or rehab notes. Basically the final stuff that went to the MEB/PEB.

Just making sure :D, and also i have a quick question since they mailed out the final letter last march 7 at seattle VA regional when will i receive it if i am in CA?

not sure on that one...