Unit is saying I need to extend.

Sick0fwaitinv

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hey guys my unit is telling me I need to extend in order to finish my medboard. My ets date is 1st October, I already hit transproc and my NCO is waiting for my packet, they said after that i can clear and all that stuff. My question is I dont want to extend, my nco is saying 6 month extension.. what would happen if I refuse?

Hey guys my unit is telling me I need to extend in order to finish my medboard. My ets date is 1st October, I already hit transproc and my NCO is waiting for my packet, they said after that i can clear and all that stuff. My question is I dont want to extend, my nco is saying 6 month extension.. what would happen if I refuse?
Just extend. You don't have to go the full 6 months. As soon as your get found unfit you will be on your way out.

Go to legal assistance. If you want to take terminal you’ll have to extend a little bit, but if you wanna sell everything, tactfully tell your NCO to pound sand.

Go to legal assistance. If you want to take terminal you’ll have to extend a little bit, but if you wanna sell everything, tactfully tell your NCO to pound sand.
Im not taking terminal I want to hit my retirement date asap, i dony care about my leave, I will sell what i can and lose the rest, what do you mean by legal, like jag?? they cant extend me without me signing anything right??

Consult with legal. Most of the time you get medically extended for the duration of the PEB.

Sorry if I sound paranoid, it is just my unit hates me and im sure they do not have my best interest in mind

Sorry if I sound paranoid, it is just my unit hates me and im sure they do not have my best interest in mind
They are required by law to keep you inactive duty until you finish IDES. It's standard to extend you 6 months at a time but understand that you won't stay the complete 6 months if you get done with IDES before then. So like I said previously this is not a big deal and you should extend.

They are required by law to keep you inactive duty until you finish IDES. It's standard to extend you 6 months at a time but understand that you won't stay the complete 6 months if you get done with IDES before then. So like I said previously this is not a big deal and you should extend.
Well what Im worried about is that my unit is going to pull some bs on me after my IDES finishes to screw me over because of the extension

Remember that when you're going through IDES you have a lot more going in your favor. It also looks really bad if they try to retaliate when you're going through that process. If I were you I would just do my best to stay out of trouble and continue the process.

Thanks for the advice guys, my 1SG called me asking why I have to talk to legal and just to extend, obvs the first thing I did was call legal and they told me I dont have to extend, Im far enough into the process where they can fast track my retirement date if I choose to throw leave away, which I said I would. Hopefully it all works out, thanks guys this board has been invaluable. You guys rock.

Perhaps that don't know about or have not considered a med extension or perhaps they are talking about a medical extension and were unclear.

Perhaps that don't know about or have not considered a med extension or perhaps they are talking about a medical extension and were unclear.
Nope it was pretty clear ets extension, i expect foul play but cant prove it, legal made it clear they cant force an extension though so hopefully it doesnt get ugly

Nope it was pretty clear ets extension, i expect foul play but cant prove it, legal made it clear they cant force an extension though so hopefully it doesnt get ugly
Also I would have to be told of a medical extension as well right? Like they cant do it behind my back right?

Personnel told me I needed to extend a year back in February to go though the med process. They told me once found unfit my contract goes out the window you get medical retirement separated new orders. It doesn't matter the same way it wouldn't matter if you had 4 years left.

I'm indef so if that doesn't matter, I wouldn't be too concerned man. What is left on the contract just like everyone has been saying is thrown away.

Well, my msc emphasized hard that nothing is final till you hit 12 am on your retirement date, im prone to screwing up so my only goal right now is to hit that date as soon as possible.

I had rather the opposite--I was supposed to get a medical hold/extension for 6 months and medical standards refused to put it in, so I had to submit a normal extension request myself in order to get my MEB worked. My PEBLO said 6 months would work, but I threw in a year just to be safe and make sure I wouldn't have to do it again.

Once it's done it's done--It doesn't matter how much time I have left in the extension, they'll cut the retirement order and send me on my way. My unit has nothing left to do with my staying or going. That's up tot he process now. Take a breath and try to not worry. Put in the extension if it'll shut them up. At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you put in a whole 6 year reenlistment, when you get a DOS/DOR, that's the day you're out.

Hmm will this happen automatically?? So why would my unit be making me extend for 6 months if it is done automatically?
Extensions are usually a formality while going through the MedBoard. The extensions are set at 1 year, but can be cut early once your MedBoard is complete. I was extended until December 2021 and I was able to retire this past April.