USMC Timeline - Camp Pendleton

03Failed

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hey there,

Figured I would do a write up for my current situation. Shoulder injury, with weakness, numbness, pain, limited ROM. Referred for weakness, numbness, upper extremity pain. LDES selection made by command.

Jan 04 2023 - Injured
Oct 20 2023 - Referred to MEB
Jan 30 2024 - Sent to PEB

Currently waiting.

Can you explain the LDES choice by your command? I haven't heard of this election being made for you.

Can you explain the LDES choice by your command? I haven't heard of this election being made for you.
Its a super dirty thing to do. Command can state that you must be on LDES due to the situation and or mission. Its very rare and not in most Soldier's best interest. I would make sure I had voiced my opinion that I wanted IDES and have it in a email. That way if the outcome isn't as desired you could apply for things to be fixed via the Service Board for Correction of Military/Naval Records (BCM/NR). It would take years to fix but I would go that route if you don't have a good outcome from LDES. Super dirty thing for your command to do. They probably just want the Soldier out ASAP and don't want to wait for them to go through IDES because they want their replacement to come in sooner.

Its a super dirty thing to do. Command can state that you must be on LDES due to the situation and or mission. Its very rare and not in most Soldier's best interest. I would make sure I had voiced my opinion that I wanted IDES and have it in a email. That way if the outcome isn't as desired you could apply for things to be fixed via the Service Board for Correction of Military/Naval Records (BCM/NR). It would take years to fix but I would go that route if you don't have a good outcome from LDES. Super dirty thing for your command to do. They probably just want the Soldier out ASAP and don't want to wait for them to go through IDES because they want their replacement to come in sooner.
That's foul. I didn't know they could do that.

That's pretty bizarre. I guess I should be thanking my unit's lack of understanding about this situation.

Apparently they made the selection because I was in a training program and they wanted me out asap. I tried to rebuttle but they didn't allow me to use IDES even though that was my preference. On my packet they highlighted this and showed how the selection could be selected by command. I’m pretty heated about the entire situation. Once I get my rating I will definitely write and email stating clearly that I wanted IDES. On my PEB package it shows that I selected IDES but then they ran it as LDES.

They are apparently trying to give me 20% for my ortho shoulder but I don’t think they are taking into account that I have suspected severe ulnar neuropathy which is in the NARSUM by my neurologist and my palm is always numb is burning and tingling with pain that occurs very often. Hoping to they retire me by adding the additional 10% I deserve for that condition but seems to be a fight coming. I really appreciate the advice about the board of corrections because I’m facing a long road to recovery and honestly very down about this entire process is basically turned my life upside down lol.

I was in injured during a log drill that was done in camies and boots where we were building teamwork and leadership. They dropped the telephone pole directly on my shoulder. Since I got injured in this training it may fall under “leadership reaction course” then I may try and link CRSC but overall I feel like I’m getting the short end of the stick for my entire process but that’s nothing new.

Apparently they made the selection because I was in a training program and they wanted me out asap. I tried to rebuttle but they didn't allow me to use IDES even though that was my preference. On my packet they highlighted this and showed how the selection could be selected by command. I’m pretty heated about the entire situation. Once I get my rating I will definitely write and email stating clearly that I wanted IDES. On my PEB package it shows that I selected IDES but then they ran it as LDES.

They are apparently trying to give me 20% for my ortho shoulder but I don’t think they are taking into account that I have suspected severe ulnar neuropathy which is in the NARSUM by my neurologist and my palm is always numb is burning and tingling with pain that occurs very often. Hoping to they retire me by adding the additional 10% I deserve for that condition but seems to be a fight coming. I really appreciate the advice about the board of corrections because I’m facing a long road to recovery and honestly very down about this entire process is basically turned my life upside down lol.

I was in injured during a log drill that was done in camies and boots where we were building teamwork and leadership. They dropped the telephone pole directly on my shoulder. Since I got injured in this training it may fall under “leadership reaction course” then I may try and link CRSC but overall I feel like I’m getting the short end of the stick for my entire process but that’s nothing new.
I would also talk to your local congressman about it. They are choosing expediency over your general welfare.

Genuinely surprised by all this. My command would kill to get me out quickly to get a replacement, but didn't do anything like this.

I hope you can get some kind of justice for this.

Thank you again for the support. I feel like I was thrown in the blender with the requirements of filling my VA claims after service. My Peblo does not keep me up to date and the attorney doesn’t have a way to check the status of my case. The one and only update I have received after months of pleading was that the package recently went to the presiding officer for review. Will I have to go through the QA process as LDES? They made it seem like I wasn’t giving

What I now know is that my attorney says he is amazed that the command would do this. I am going to search for legal counsel on the civilian side because the appointed military one is not great. I have no negative paperwork through my time in active and was a high achieving marine with my cft and pft maxed prior to injury. I will contact my local state reps once I receive findings back and request assistance. My wife has been put through a ton awaiting results so we can move forward but it’s so difficult when you don’t know if we are going to have to do the appeal process. Thank god for this forum!

Thank you again for the support. I feel like I was thrown in the blender with the requirements of filling my VA claims after service. My Peblo does not keep me up to date and the attorney doesn’t have a way to check the status of my case. The one and only update I have received after months of pleading was that the package recently went to the presiding officer for review. Will I have to go through the QA process as LDES? They made it seem like I wasn’t giving

What I now know is that my attorney says he is amazed that the command would do this. I am going to search for legal counsel on the civilian side because the appointed military one is not great. I have no negative paperwork through my time in active and was a high achieving marine with my cft and pft maxed prior to injury. I will contact my local state reps once I receive findings back and request assistance. My wife has been put through a ton awaiting results so we can move forward but it’s so difficult when you don’t know if we are going to have to do the appeal process. Thank god for this forum!
Sending you some options via private message.

I think you are thinking about it the right way. I would contact the options I sent you ASAP. My wife hired a private attorney at the very beginning and I am confident she got better results than if she would have used the free legal counsel.

Update - 4/29/24 Got the call. Actually got retired, 30% Pain w/ Range of Motion Limitations. None of my other conditions were rated and this was only for shoulder. Unbelievable, I was holding a grudge because I was thrown into LDES but it did work out. This forum is real deal gold. Thanks for the support! Ill update if I get PTAD etc and post retirement date when I receive it.

Jan 04 2023 - Injured
Apr 29 2024 - Retired 30% Single Condition

Glad to hear you got the best out of the circumstance you were given. Do you have any plans to deal with the VA? Not sure if you're eligible for BDD or FDC with them through this process but worth a thought.

I started a BDD Claim when I went on leave a month or so ago but I just gave a rough estimate of time for discharge date. Hopefully it works out when I add my PTAD and leave balance!

I started a BDD Claim when I went on leave a month or so ago but I just gave a rough estimate of time for discharge date. Hopefully it works out when I add my PTAD and leave balance!
IIRC they need 6 months to handle it. Hopefully they can hook you up, or at the very least create a fully developed claim for you.

Yes! I’m hoping that I can get the process rolling. It’s a total relief to not have another 6-12 months of the Corps dictating my recovery etc. Now I’m going to fight the VA and deal with that mess to get all my other conditions addressed. Then push forward with my life lol. I’m going to have everything signed when I get back from PTAD and try to push some of this along at the IPAC. I’ll keep you guys updated

Update - Just had EAS update for 20240629. Going to sell back a stack of leave. Overall happy with the outcome, for everyone going through the process it’s hell but only temporary. Thank you all again. I’ll keep it updated as the outbound processes!

Jan 04 2023 - Injured
Apr 29 2024 - Retired 30% Single Condition
May 9 2024 - EAS Updated to -20240630-