Vocational rehabilitation help

NolanK

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I need some serious help and don't know how to make a thread, but I am currently waiting my intial Voc rehab appointment and I'm a little terrified. I have no idea what to expect.

I am a 50% DV with most of my percentage in my right hip due to a training excerise. I was going to school for criminal justice and was also in the Air Force being trained to do Security Forces. It's a long story, but I want to try and have Voc extend my education to become a chiropractor.

I want to become a chiropractor because I want to educate people about bone issues, and also there's a huge push for this profession when it comes to veterans and that's who I want to help the most. I want to be the new way that stop oppiad dependency. Anyway I'm just what should I have to knock out the first interview? I know what school I want to go to and I have an agreement with my employer about getting his business after I get my degree. Any advice would be helpful.

Well, go into the appt. with an open mind. There are a few steps that the VR&E counselor must take before they can approve any educational plan. The first thing is that they will assess your background and identify what are the limitations that are the nexus of your vocational challenge. They will then have your take some surveys (known scales and instruments) which will assess what your current strengths are and how they intersect with a career path.

VR&E is not likley to put you through Chiropractic school, however please do not let this discourage you. Swing for the fences and see what they are wiling to offer.

In my own circumstance, I felt I had to drag my willy through glass to get what I wanted. I persisted and it paid off.

I have been told other wise, as there is a new push for chiropractor positions involving veterans. I can't do what my career field trained me to do because of my injury so this is the only thing I can do.

Also I have three screws in my right femoral neck. I've always wanted to be in the law enforcement field it's what I was training to do. Now I have to rethink my education path if anyone else had help with job outlooks for the medical or LE field with that type of injury please let me know. I'm just trying to have as much background ammunition I can ahinat the vocational rehabilitation interview

It is really hard to convince the VR&E counselor to approve a Doctorate program. There are a rare few circumstances in which they have, however it is definitely the exception to the rule.

Their goal is not to grant your educational wish, but rather to make you employable in field that suits you; based upon the tools that they use.

Here is a real good guide to make your pitch. https://www.disabledveterans.org/2010/06/25/1-unofficial-guide-to-chapter-31-voc-rehab/

I was successful in getting VR&E to cover a Masters in Social Work, from the University of Southern California, the total cost of tuition was in excess of $125k not including my BAH of approximately $75k

Last edited:
So what being told is the goal I want is unrealistic and I should come up with a back up plan just in case they say we won't do a doctoral program but we will do this? (Insert other field) and try and have them pay for that education?

I live right across the river from Palmer School of Chiropractic, and if you have those types of injuries, you are NOT going to be able to do Chiropractic on people. It is VERY physically demanding and you have to take into account extremely overweight patients and those who are extremely difficult to adjust in addition to your "ideal" patients.

There are other adjusting techniques that would allow me to not have to put stress on my hip. I've started to look into other careers as back up but they all require doctoral degrees so this program isn't going to get away with letting me do anything less then a degree with some type of doctoral degree

I completed a PhD, using my VA benefits, while on AD. The cold hard facts are most people who begin a doctorate, never complete the process. It can be grueling and in some cases there is no return on investment. You said, "so this program isn't going to get away with letting me do anything less then a degree with some type of doctoral degree." What does having a doctorate mean to you?

It means employment, I already have an agreement with my boss, who is a chiropractor, if and when I get my degree I will shadow him for a while and then buy out his practice as he did with his prior boss. I know this path gives me employment at the end of it. I already am going to a Junior College to get my pre reqs to join Palmer college in 2019.

Bureau of Labor Statistics lists a median salary of $67,520 a year for Chiropractors.

I can tell you this much, with VR&E you can do a six month internship with the Social Security Administration and walk away with a GS-11 position, 8 hour workday, job security and they will completely work around any injuries that you have.

Bureau of Labor Statistics lists a median salary of $67,520 a year for Chiropractors.

I can tell you this much, with VR&E you can do a six month internship with the Social Security Administration and walk away with a GS-11 position, 8 hour workday, job security and they will completely work around any injuries that you have.

GSFowler, could you point me in the right direction for this SSA job internship/placement? Does it have a name?

GSFowler, could you point me in the right direction for this SSA job internship/placement? Does it have a name?

If you are in Vocational Rehab, talk to your counselor. If you are not in Voc Rehab, then you need to talk to a counselor. If you do a search on USA Jobs, you will see that there is almost NEVER any positions listed for the SSA, and when there is, the announcement is only when they want to do an internal hire. The majority of the new hires come direct from VR&E.

That makes a lot of sense and I'm going to look into it and keep my eyes open. You bring up a very valid opportunity and a solid one at that.

Nolan, I too found myself in your same position a couple years ago. Most of my VA rating coming from DDD and radicuplothy. I, however, wanted to follow the physical therapy route. I went the the appointment fully prepared with all the requirements needed to apply to grad school. Be ready to explain to your counselor that as a chiropractor there are plenty of manipulations that aren't physically demanding on your hip (if he/she questions it). Ensure you have your unofficial transcript and that your grades are well above the 3.0 standard in order to gain entry to DC school. Have statistics on hand that show you are GUARANTEED a job after graduation. The entire point of this program is to facilitate employment upon finishing the program. The more information you bring to the appointment the more likely they are to approve your extension. This is anecdotal and my .02. Hope it helps.