What would you do?

dkokoszka

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Quick question on CRDP offset, here are the facts:

23 Year's Active Servce = 57.5 %

If I get a 60% medical retirement vs 57.5% lenght of service retirement how does the affect future CRDP payments? (Assuming I will get over 50% from the VA).

I don't want to go through the MEB/PEB process if this will hurt future CRDP payments.

I can retire now or go through the MEB/PEB process.

What would you do?

My personal opinion... Retire and don't get involved with an MEB. Save yourself the hassle.

You have 23 Years of service. Retire. If you accept a Medical Retirement here is what happens. Your Retirement falls under a different category...disability. The VA compensation falls under the same category...disability. Federal law prohibits an individual from drawing two disability checks at the same time, so you will lose out on money that you are entitled. If you Retire normally and then file for VA compensation, you will get CDRP only in you are awarded over 50% compensation from the VA. This will allow you to receive both check at the same time. I do not recommend that you take the MED Retirement. The only way that it would work out in your favor is if you were 100% VA compensation rated and of that 100% was combat related allowing you to receive CRSC, then I would recommend the Medical retirement. Hope this helps.