AGR - Medically Retiring, but NLT date is set at 15 year mark

lew2118

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I'm wondering if there are any benefits to reaching 15 years of national guard service with Ch. 61 retirement (12 AD). Will be receiving military retirement and likely qualify for CRSC, but wasn't sure if CRDP was applicable because of reaching 15 years somehow. My understanding is TERA is over. Is there any benefit to keeping the NLT date to reach 15 YOS with the medical retirement rather than moving it closer? Don't want to screw myself in the long run if I'd get concurrent receipt at 60 for a few more days in.

A retirement at 15 years does not qualify one for CRDP unless it is a TERA retirement.

Ron

Reserve retirement:
20 Good Years
and
Meet age requirement

Ron

To get CDRP you need 20 years active, 15 with TERA, or a 20 year letter and age 60

See that's what I'm trying to figure out.. 15 with TERA, but from my understanding TERA is not longer in effect for the Army. To add to the confusion, the NC NG bureau had a page on their website about 15 year non-standard retirements for guardsmen who are separated for physical disability and hit the 15 year mark...

"15 Year Non-Regular Retirement
Additionally, Service Members who complete at least 15 but less than 20 years of creditable service and are discharged due to the proceedings of a medical board may be eligible for non-regular retirement at age 60 if they are in receipt of a 15 year letter, NGB Form 23-E."

Pages - Retirement Services-Age 60 Retirement

See that's what I'm trying to figure out.. 15 with TERA, but from my understanding TERA is not longer in effect for the Army. To add to the confusion, the NC NG bureau had a page on their website about 15 year non-standard retirements for guardsmen who are separated for physical disability and hit the 15 year mark...

"15 Year Non-Regular Retirement
Additionally, Service Members who complete at least 15 but less than 20 years of creditable service and are discharged due to the proceedings of a medical board may be eligible for non-regular retirement at age 60 if they are in receipt of a 15 year letter, NGB Form 23-E."

Pages - Retirement Services-Age 60 Retirement
Yep. Been there done that. Tera for the Army is gone and 15 year letter when medically retiring doesn't add any value. Only time 15 year letter comes into play is when rated for DOD conditions less than 30%. If that happened you would decline severance and get 15 year letter to retire at age 60. Then when you are out apply for VA benefits.

Yep. Been there done that. Tera for the Army is gone and 15 year letter when medically retiring doesn't add any value. Only time 15 year letter comes into play is when rated for DOD conditions less than 30%. If that happened you would decline severance and get 15 year letter to retire at age 60. Then when you are out apply for VA benefits.
Okay, that makes sense. That is what I thought the intent of the 15 year was- to prevent someone who has spent 15 years in from going away with just severance pay. I just sent an email to HRO in Fort Knox because they have a detailed run down of all of this and how it is applicable. I'll update if they clarify or add anything new.

Okay, that makes sense. That is what I thought the intent of the 15 year was- to prevent someone who has spent 15 years in from going away with just severance pay. I just sent an email to HRO in Fort Knox because they have a detailed run down of all of this and how it is applicable. I'll update if they clarify or add anything new.
Re: 15 year letter and retired pay at age 60

The retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation and with just a 15 year letter, one is NOT eligible for CRDP (i.e., concurrent receipt).

Reference: DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 64
------>LINK
640203. Physical Disability Retirement Members retired for physical disability who have less than 20 years of service creditable for the purposes of computing retired pay are not eligible for CRDP

Ron

Last edited:
Re: 15 year letter and retired pay at age 60

The retired pay will be reduced by the amount of VA compensation and with just a 15 year letter, one is NOT eligible for CRDP (i.e., concurrent receipt).

Reference: DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 64
------>LINK
640203. Physical Disability Retirement Members retired for physical disability who have less than 20 years of service creditable for the purposes of computing retired pay are not eligible for CRDP

Ron
I have talked with multiple people on base. Emailed and called DFAS and though mypers help desk. I've been told since I'm being medically found not fit for duty it's not a medical retirement cause NGB denied the LOD. therefore I'm getting a 15 year retirement. May have to hire an attorney though because I can't seem to find evidence that I can collect my retirement at 60 and VA. cause VA found my conditions service connected. So dam confused. Maybe I will know for sure before I am out.

I was told the intent for a 15 year DSG retirement was to give the guardsman a retirement if he medically can't do his job anymore but it's not linked to military status.

I have talked with multiple people on base. Emailed and called DFAS and though mypers help desk. I've been told since I'm being medically found not fit for duty it's not a medical retirement cause NGB denied the LOD. therefore I'm getting a 15 year retirement. May have to hire an attorney though because I can't seem to find evidence that I can collect my retirement at 60 and VA. cause VA found my conditions service connected. So dam confused. Maybe I will know for sure before I am out.
Do me a favor and take a look...and read the form on the link below. Just because NGB denies an LOD doesn't mean they were correct in doing so. Pay particular attention to the parts that speak to injuries and aggravations while on orders over 30 days as well as the 8 year rule (if you have 8 years of TAFMS).

LOD cheat sheet

Best of luck because the first fight is dealing with...rebutting the LOD.