Morganh26

Registered Member
I’ve been in the Army for a little over 3 years and I’m currently in Korea. The past 2 years I’ve been getting treatment for my knees and throat issues. They finally did an MRI and found my right knee has grade 3-4 chondromalacia patella as well as possible meniscus degeneration. I’ve also been seen for chronic low back pain with nothing showing up on imaging. I have thyroid cancer as well and had my thyroid removed but still need to undergo radiation treatment to kill the remaining cells (which they can’t do in Korea). I’ve been dealing with residual symptoms since my thyroidectomy such as chronic fatigue, cold intolerance and anxiety/depression. My provider had led me to believe he was referring me to medboard, but it looks like he is pushing for a chapter 5-17 now. Does this sound right? I am concerned about the remaining treatment I need and don’t know how that would work if I got chaptered. Is this not enough for a medboard?

Also - forgot to add. He put in the notes from my appointment that he is writing up a NARSUM to recommend a chapter 5-17. But I’ve only seen a NARSUM referred to when discussing MEB.

If I were you I would consult JAG and possibly an outside attorney. A chapter 5-17 is Separation for the Convenience of the Government. If your conditions are the reason for your separation then it should be a MED Board. I would fight for one especially since that way you would have your VA rating when you get out. Also, if found unfit you could receive disability severance pay or medical retirement. That's not an option with a chapter 5-17. I am no Dr. but I would think that if the anxiety/depression issues are caused by a legit medical diagnosis such as cancer treatment then I would no way want to be separated this way.