CRSC affect on VA compensation

RonK1971

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I’m new to this and am awaiting my CRSC decision letter.

I’m currently receiving 100% disability ($3517) from the VA and my monthly Air Force retirement pay($2709) as a 22 year active duty member. Will CRSC affect my monthly va payment at all?

I’m new to this and am awaiting my CRSC decision letter.

I’m currently receiving 100% disability ($3517) from the VA and my monthly Air Force retirement pay($2709) as a 22 year active duty member. Will CRSC affect my monthly va payment at all?
No, but it affects your retired pay.

Your retired pay will be reduced dollar for dollar in the amount of VA comp received.
CRSC will replace that loss of pay by the amount associated with the CRSC percentage approved by your service (amount found in VA comp tables). It cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay (and can be less depending on percentage approved), which I assume you are receiving as CRDP now since you have 20+ AD years,

My thoughts on CRDP and CRSC:
--If CRSC is the same percentage as the VA comp rate, select CRSC
--If CRSC percentage is less than the VA comp rate, stay with CRDP

Ron

Can you help me calculate my CRSC payment? Don’t know if CRSC or CRDP is better for me.

VA rating 100% ($3946)
CRSC rating 70%
Retired military 22 years
High three $3025
One dependent spouse
Currently receiving CRDP

Awaiting on DFAS letter with calculations.

Can you help me calculate my CRSC payment? Don’t know if CRSC or CRDP is better for me.

VA rating 100% ($3946)
CRSC rating 70%
Retired military 22 years
High three $3025
One dependent spouse
Currently receiving CRDP

Awaiting on DFAS letter with calculations.
Hello,

Concurrent Receipt of retired pay and VA compensation (used to be CRDP) is best for you in terms of amount. You get all your retired pay plus VA comp.

Your CRSC = you would get only the 70% with spouse rate in VA tables as CRSC plus VA comp.

Ron

My thoughts on CRDP and CRSC:
--If CRSC is the same percentage as the VA comp rate, select CRSC
--If CRSC percentage is less than the VA comp rate, stay with CRDP

The big difference between these two types program is taxation. CRSC is not taxed, CRDP is taxed. Ron’s rule of thumb is a good one. If someone is in a high income tax bracket it may be beneficial in some cases to except CRSC even if the CRSC percentage is slightly lower.

Table- Married Filing Jointly
Low High %
$0.00 $23,200.00 10%
23,200.01 94,300.00 12
94,300.01 201,050.00 22
201,051.00 383,900.00 24
383,901.00 487,450.00 32
487,450.01. 693,750.00 35

Tax free money is worth more than taxable money.

CRDP is now:

Concurrent Military Retired Pay and VA Disability Compensation

The term “CRDP” is now obsolete in accordance recent DoD interpretation of the intent of the concurrent receipt laws.

This does not change the outcomes outlined by @chaplaincharlie

Ron