Degenerative Disc Disease and Sanctuary Question

JohnR2110

Registered Member
I have 17 years of active duty Naval service and served the last 7 after being diagnosed with degenerative disc disease. I had a microdiscectomy to repair a herniated disc in Jan of 2004.
I now have two other herniated discs which may require surgery in the next year or so.
I have participated and passed the last 5 PFAs (both BCA and PA) and do not currently have any PFA failures in the last 4 year period.
I reach 18 years of service in December of 2011 and 20 years in December 2013.
I am concerned that with or without surgery I may not be able to complete and pass another PFA. Is this a moot point since I will reach "sanctuary" at the 18 year mark in December or should I be concerned that I can still be medically involuntary separated from service prior to my 20 year mark in December of 2013 if I were to fail 3 PFAs in a 4 year period resulting in less than full retirement.
I am currently on regular duty (no light duty or LIMDU yet) and long with the retirement question I am wondering if there is a "better" time to proceed with back surgery - now or at the 19 year mark? I am also concerned that possible going before a med board coudl hurt instead of help my chances to receive a full or "normal" 20 year retirement benefits.
Thank you for your comments and I can provide more info if necessary.

Sanctuary does not keep you from being retired or separated due to disability.

If you have conditions that fail retention standards (see Manual of the Medical Department, Chapter 18), then you should go to MEB/PEB and this supersedes any non-disability/non-misconduct separation action.

Sounds to me like you should put off as long as possible (and medically advisable) any surgery. Since they have you on regular duty, I would think that prolonging bringing your condition to the Navy's attention would be advisable. Of course, this is only from a point of view of trying to extend your service as long as possible. Medically, it may be that you should get treatment earlier.

Good luck!

Hi. I hope all is going well with you. The new PFA instruction, OPNAVINST 6110.1J gets rid of the "sanctuary" period for those over 18 years. I know how frustrating this makes things. Unfortunately, it seems that downsizing is more important than keeping the experienced Sailors and the Navy is looking to get people out in any way possible. Good luck with everything shipmate.

First the change to the MIPERS manual in June states if you are to seperated (meaning not retired) medically and you are over 18, they will find you fit to facilitate retirement. This applies only to >18 years and not rated for a medical retirement. Now if you are rated >30% they can medically retire you. Now as far as the PFA goes, if you have accepted retirement papers and are withing one year of execution, the command has the option to allow you to retire. Again this is in the recent MILPERS change. I've tried to post the link, but the site seems to be very slow right now.