Fort Lewis Timeline Questions

Thanks, my condition is unprovoked chronic DVTs with indefinite anticoagulation. I am going through the process in California at Balboa Hospital in San Diego. I cant even imagine havin to go through this for 14 months, I really hope your case gets resolved soon. This process DOD wide is no doubt broken and not organized the way it should be. From what I can see the military side doesnt work in the expeditious manner they should, and the VA either has underqualified employees, not enough employees, or a mixture of both and most definitely doesnt work with a sense of urgency in these mattters... I have empathy for everyone on this board and hope your guys stay in there and keep on top of everything. I cant really speak to people who have been going through this for longer than i have, i think if I were doing this for 14 months I would lose my mind. Its just really unfortunate that this process is so ambiguous. My wife and I have bought a house and taken job offers in the area we are going to be moving to already, so time is most assuredly of the essense.

I know I said 6 months, but its more around 7 months from the time i got diagnosed...

I am pretty sure you would be a better PEBLO than some of the ones we have now. If I am reading your post correctly you have already gotten an unfit rating from the PEB which puts you ahead of me I havent even gotten that yet. I am now on week 12 waiting for an update about the PEB findings. No one seems to know why it hasent been sent to the VA yet but my AKO tracker says it was returned to the MTF 1 April. Bottem line they have there heads up the third point of contact as usual. Likewise with the updates if you havent please do a time line so that other people going through can have some idea of whats to come.
Sure, I will work out a timeline....it might take me a day or so to get that because I had a lot of hick-ups along the way. l guess I can start a new thread and place a copy of it here and link to the other thread if that helps anyone.

I too am going through the PEB at Lewis. I was found unfit on April 11th and I have no idea when this will all be finished. PEBLO has no updates and eBenefits website still states collecting evidence. All my PEBLO was able to tell me is it's in the VA hands now. I am a month behind Shel81 from when the initial MEB began and it looks like a month behind the unfit findings, so, with that said, I will be carefully following your timeline! Continue to keep us updated. This process is ridiculous. I understand that going to the new system was to prevent soldiers getting out, then waiting for a year to get their VA benefit checks, but I would have preferred to get out with my findings and start my new career....whatever that may be, considering I have no idea when I will be a civilian. At least I know I was found unfit and I WILL be a civilian soon though. No complaints from me with that knowledge. Thinking about becoming a PEBLO!

Looks like we have about the same timeline Hawkdrivermtp and the same VA office processing our packets. My packet was forwarded to the VA on 23 Mar 2012 for ratings following an UNFIT determination from the PEB. I called and requested an IRIS inquiry (status request) on my packet a month ago and that was never followed up on from the VA so I re-called and submitted an inquiry via the website yesterday. I believe the guy on the phone last time just never submitted my request for information.

My eBenefits portal still says "gathering evidence" with a date of Aug 2011 (my QTC evaluation date) and no updates so far.

Keep us posted on any developments - i know myself, Shel81, and you at least are going through the same office and are somewhat close in timelines to each other.

*******Update****
I spoke to my UMBUDSMAN last week on the 17th or 18th. I was told that my case was still at the PEB and it was over dure to be at the VA but she wanted to give thim until the 25th or so to see if they would send it up because its more than 45 days now. I check my online MEB/PEB on AKO today and low and behold on my PEB side it says that the PEB is returned to MTF as of 1 April 2012. Is my packet in a time lapse or are they cooking the dates again. Not to mention I have no clue what it means to have my packed returned to the MTF because my PEBLO knows nothing and tells me nothing. Can any one make heads or tails of this?
The issue with the dates is they don't generally match up. The day they do things and the day they "remember" to actually update the system are different. I've run across this as well.

The issue with the dates is they don't generally match up. The day they do things and the day they "remember" to actually update the system are different. I've run across this as well.

You think thats bad the PEBLO calld and left a message my packet was returned on the 26th because the cover signature was wrong. She let me know today cause they were out of office so it took them four months to send it back for a signature on the cover. When I have to go down and send messages to a supervisor just for you to call me about something I was calling weekly about thats a problem. And they still havent fixed the damn dates!

I am pretty sure you would be a better PEBLO than some of the ones we have now. If I am reading your post correctly you have already gotten an unfit rating from the PEB which puts you ahead of me I havent even gotten that yet. I am now on week 12 waiting for an update about the PEB findings. No one seems to know why it hasent been sent to the VA yet but my AKO tracker says it was returned to the MTF 1 April. Bottem line they have there heads up the third point of contact as usual. Likewise with the updates if you havent please do a time line so that other people going through can have some idea of whats to come.

mine looks like this:

PEB Actions

PEB Location: FT LEWIS, WA
Date Case Received from the MTF: 02/15/2012
Date Returned to MTF: 04/01/2012
Date Board Completed:
Case Sent to HQ PDA:

I asked my PEBLO today and she said that when Madigan called to offer me a chance to be reevaluated for Forensic Psych, it was reset when I declined. I don't know if this is right but I have to admit, the more I hear the less I know. I was supposed to start school in June and now I'm not overly confident that I will be out.

mine looks like this:

PEB Actions

Date Returned to MTF: 04/01/2012
Date Board Completed:
Case Sent to HQ PDA:

I asked my PEBLO today and she said that when Madigan called to offer me a chance to be reevaluated for Forensic Psych, it was reset when I declined. I don't know if this is right but I have to admit, the more I hear the less I know. I was supposed to start school in June and now I'm not overly confident that I will be out.

Why the hell did they restart you if you didn’t do the extra evaluations? I swear Madigan stinks to high heaven. Coincidently my AKO tracker says mine was returned 01 April as well although the PEBLO says she just got it back on the 26th either way it just doesn’t seem right. I have been missing out on starting school as well. That’s that part that gets me I know we are still getting paid and all but I could be in class right now working on securing my family’s future instead I am sitting on my hands waiting for calls that never come and updates that leave us with more questions than answers. Hang in there I am right there with you and it sucks! Good Luck!

I am now in week 14 of waiting for my PEB raiting. Seems like I am not the only person with this long waiting time. After my packet was sent back for a signature on the 26th of April I spoke to my PEBLO on the 30th of April she said I should get some information last week. I called her last Friday and she said she had not heard any thing and couldnt even be bothered to look and see if it was even sent to the VA. I asked her if they were just now starting my case or if it was done because they have had it since April all she said was she didnt think so :mad:. So not only does she not know where my packet is but she dosent even know if they have started it. Exactly what are they there for again?

I am now in week 14 of waiting for my PEB raiting. Seems like I am not the only person with this long waiting time. After my packet was sent back for a signature on the 26th of April I spoke to my PEBLO on the 30th of April she said I should get some information last week. I called her last Friday and she said she had not heard any thing and couldnt even be bothered to look and see if it was even sent to the VA. I asked her if they were just now starting my case or if it was done because they have had it since April all she said was she didnt think so :mad:. So not only does she not know where my packet is but she dosent even know if they have started it. Exactly what are they there for again?
I know once the PEB received my packet, it took 30 days before I was found unfit. My PEBLO called me once she received that info. I would expect for you to hear back approx 30 days from when the error was corrected and sent back to the PEB. Hope so anyways.

I got some good news today my pre-199 is on the way to the VA :) . My UMBUDSMAN came through she let me know this morning. Still no word from my PEBLO big surprise there. I will give her until Friday to update me and then I’m going to her supervisor (once again) and let them know how at every turn in this process if I was not calling or coming every day I got nothing from her. There were NO updates no phone call or e-mail only her standard statement " I havent heard anything". I can see a light at the end and it looks wonderful. Now the VA wait starts:D .

I too am going through the PEB at Lewis. I was found unfit on April 11th and I have no idea when this will all be finished. PEBLO has no updates and eBenefits website still states collecting evidence. All my PEBLO was able to tell me is it's in the VA hands now. I am a month behind Shel81 from when the initial MEB began and it looks like a month behind the unfit findings, so, with that said, I will be carefully following your timeline! Continue to keep us updated. This process is ridiculous. I understand that going to the new system was to prevent soldiers getting out, then waiting for a year to get their VA benefit checks, but I would have preferred to get out with my findings and start my new career....whatever that may be, considering I have no idea when I will be a civilian. At least I know I was found unfit and I WILL be a civilian soon though. No complaints from me with that knowledge. Thinking about becoming a PEBLO!
My question for you is, when you signed the narsum were you notified by the PEB that you are unfit and how long did that take. I singed my Narsum April 17 and still do not know if i am fit or unfit. The PEBLO supervisor said its a 15 day window so if you did not hear anything you are unfit but i see in some of the time lines people are being notified.

***UPDATED***
This is my timeline so far.
*28 January 2011 Surgery to fix right ankle
*January-February recovery from surgery
*7 March 2011 My Podiatry doctor refers my case to the MEB permanent profile signed by him and sent up.
*10 March 2011 MEB Doctor agrees with need for MEB and signs Permanent profile.
*14 March 2011 went to the MEB office my paper work was already there.
*March 22nd 2011 MEB Brief Limbo.
*April 26th 2011MEB Medical Records Review

**Here is where it gets sketchy. My AKO online and MEB paperwork all state I started my MEB 26 July 2011. This is the date stated as the Physicians Notification date. My physician is the one that started the MEB process on 7 March 2011. So I am confused about that. I had already started my process and seen my PEBLO *hints* the reason she didn’t add an initial counseling date. My tech was transitioning to becoming a PEBLO so my case was “in transition” for a while. It is my belief that they dropped the ball and misplaced my paperwork which is why there is a gap between 10 March and 26 July. Even if they started the tracking on the initial brief or medical review it would put me as starting in March or April. I am of a mind to think that they are pushing the dates forward to make it look like the system is not taking as long as it really is. So when it comes time for them to turn in their yearly information it looks like the boards are going along as planned 11-12 months.
*28 July 2011 Commander Notified. I think it should say supposedly because I found out later my commanders packet was "Missing" when I tried to sign my NARSUM appeal in December 2011. I had my commander’s packet turned in right after my brief in around March, April. The excuse from my PEBLO was that I never turned it in. I believe it was “lost” because it had the actual date the commander signed it way before July so any one would see that as strange.

*22 August 2011 Physicals exams Completed
(No consultation dates on my AKO tracker although I did have them) Limbo.
*07 October 2011 MEB Physician Appointment
*17 November 2011 physician Dictated MEB/NARSUM
*07 December 2011 MEB with approving authority returned to PEBLO. Limbo. (Excuse for 7-21 December gap was my PEBLO was on leave but “someone” was suppose to be covering for her.)
*21 December 2011 PEBLO counseling on MEB/NARSUM
*11 January 2012 filed Appealed
*09 February 2012 MEB/NARSUM Appeal returned two additions to packed added under meets retention no other changes
*10 February 2012 PEB receives case
*1 April 2012 AKO tracker says PEB sent packet back to MTF. Called PEBLO ever other day to see what the reason was or an update blanket statement “I haven’t heard anything”.
*26 April 2012 MEB receives Packet from PEB for verification of cover sheet signature. This is the date that the PEBLO said it was received but for all I know it could have been in her office since the 1st or 2nd week in April when the Tracker said it was sent back.
*30 April 2012 PEBLO sends corrected signature and packet back to the PEB. PEBLO tells me she will call the next week to update me. I call the Friday of the following week and she “hasn’t heard anything”.
*16 May 2012 PEB sends Pre-199 to VA for rating. My UMBUDSMAN gave me this update no word from my PEBLO.

My question for you is, when you signed the narsum were you notified by the PEB that you are unfit and how long did that take. I singed my Narsum April 17 and still do not know if i am fit or unfit. The PEBLO supervisor said its a 15 day window so if you did not hear anything you are unfit but i see in some of the time lines people are being notified.

Once the PEB sends your Pre-199 to VA you are found unfit from the PEB that is the only thing I am sure of. The PEB sends it to the VA to make the rating for your unfit conditions. I should let you know my PEBLO has never given me a straight answer on any question and wouldnt tell me if I was fit or unfit thats not to say they all wont. I know some people have heard from there PEBLO about being fit or not but I think it all depends on the PEBLO. I wouldnt put too much stock in the 15 day window because they are behind on alot of packets.

When I signed my NARSUM, my packet was immediately sent to Ft. Lewis for the PEB. It took approx 30 days before the PEB sent those results back down to my PEBLO who called me to inform me I was found unfit. I don't think the PEB itself ever would contact the soldier, that is what the PEBLO is for. But I wouldn't use a 15 day window to assume anything until you are given the actual findings. Too many people, like Shel81, have had errors that caused a lot of extra and unnecessary time added to the process. Just keep up with your PEBLO after your NARSUM is sent off and hopefully you are given accurate and timely information.

I got some good news today my pre-199 is on the way to the VA :) . My UMBUDSMAN came through she let me know this morning. Still no word from my PEBLO big surprise there. I will give her until Friday to update me and then I’m going to her supervisor (once again) and let them know how at every turn in this process if I was not calling or coming every day I got nothing from her. There were NO updates no phone call or e-mail only her standard statement " I havent heard anything". I can see a light at the end and it looks wonderful. Now the VA wait starts:D .
That's great news. I can't believe you got this from your UMBUDSMAN instead of your PEBLO. That is unsat! At least you now know you were found unfit and can check that off of the MEB/PEB process! Now lets hope the VA can play catch-up and get us our ratings sooner than later!

Shel81

Look like we have about the same timeline.

03/05/2012- FT.Lewis (PEB) received my packet
03/20/2012- PEB rating of unfit
03/22/2012- VRAS (VA) Seattle received packet
05/14/2012- Called the VA 1 800 after checking EBENFITS Compensation and pension claim status ( pending decision approval) I was told I should receive a rating via mail in 5- 7 days. I am being boarded for three conditions but claiiming ten more.

Shel81

Look like we have about the same timeline.

03/05/2012- FT.Lewis (PEB) received my packet
03/20/2012- PEB rating of unfit
03/22/2012- VRAS (VA) Seattle received packet
05/14/2012- Called the VA 1 800 after checking EBENFITS Compensation and pension claim status ( pending decision approval) I was told I should receive a rating via mail in 5- 7 days. I am being boarded for three conditions but claiiming ten more.

If I am looking at your time line the right way it took about 7 weeks give or take a few days for the VA to do your raiting. Well I hope it goes by fast because this has been a long process. Well update the post when you actually recieve everything so I can know how long the final takes.

Why the hell did they restart you if you didn’t do the extra evaluations? I swear Madigan stinks to high heaven. Coincidently my AKO tracker says mine was returned 01 April as well although the PEBLO says she just got it back on the 26th either way it just doesn’t seem right. I have been missing out on starting school as well. That’s that part that gets me I know we are still getting paid and all but I could be in class right now working on securing my family’s future instead I am sitting on my hands waiting for calls that never come and updates that leave us with more questions than answers. Hang in there I am right there with you and it sucks! Good Luck!

I talked to my PEBLO again today(usually once a week, this is the first time since this post that I heard something a little more substantial than,"still haven't heard anything". She informed me that the date was only reset in the system and was out of the paperwork loop for a short amount of time. She also said that VA recieved my claim on 4 MAY 12. So, I have to assume my timeline is now something like this:

PEB Actions
Big Army makes corrections on my work, ruins my work*
Date Returned to MTF: 04/01/2012 (Big Army makes corrections on my work, ruins my work*)- This date has since been deleted, but appears to be the date my packet was returned to an inbox after the Forensic Psych debacle).
Date VA opened case: 4MAY12

If they've had it for 20 days I can only hope it's in the mail.

*I first went to Forensic Psych a couple months before the controversy all really started. With just a vauge idea of what police forensic psych does, and having had a positive experience with the Med Board process through this point, I walked into something of an ambush. Two and a half hours to go from amiable to being called a liar and telling the Major point blankly that he was just a Claims Adjuster and a redundancy in the system(accidental signature block duplication?). I worked with my Doc(who is great) and had a second appointment that went perfectly well within a week. 7 months later the Army pulls my packet from it's rotation to try to do the same thing. Understand the need, don't understand why we ever had the need to pull so many packets in a seriously crippled system. Not the biggest deal, just a face palm moment.

Huh.... Then I should have found out if I was found unfit or not last week... It's sad that I get so much info from this site on how things are supposed to be and nothing from my PEBLO... What's even worse my company is 120 feet from their office... Guess I'll take my 3 minute stroll over there and ask the question and get an "I have nothing for you" answer. No one even told me about this fit/unfit findings from PEB!?!?! I thought I was already found unfit from the MEB section and was on the NARSUM and that was that??? LOL I feel so fail right now... <- Stabs self in face with a rubber spoon again...

Time to utilize the ombudsman I think...

VA received my case from the PEB somewhere around April 12th but didn't get assigned to anyone until May 4th. Today my eBenefits changed to pending decision approval. So it looks like once my file was in someones hands, it took 19 calendar days to review and rate. Now I just hope I don't have to wait forever to find out what those ratings are!

Huh.... Then I should have found out if I was found unfit or not last week... It's sad that I get so much info from this site on how things are supposed to be and nothing from my PEBLO... What's even worse my company is 120 feet from their office... Guess I'll take my 3 minute stroll over there and ask the question and get an "I have nothing for you" answer. No one even told me about this fit/unfit findings from PEB!?!?! I thought I was already found unfit from the MEB section and was on the NARSUM and that was that??? LOL I feel so fail right now... <- Stabs self in face with a rubber spoon again...

Time to utilize the ombudsman I think...

I think you should get in touch with your Ombudsman. I am not sure where you are stationed at but different places have different ones. You may have to ask to have your PEBLO's supervisor notified of the fact that no information or updates are flowing to you.
I know it sucks to say it but it seems like the only way to get any updates, information or head way in some cases (not all) is to go make some people get off their butts by making some noise.
It’s sad to say but I have had to be the squeaky wheel to get all of my updates from my PEBLO. And I do mean all from the beginning of the MEB to the NARSUM to the appeal to the Independent Review to the PEB every time it was a fight with my PEBLO for the slightest bit of information.
Don’t think that they will be there weekly giving updates and making sure you aware of what’s happening and the next step in the process. They won’t/don’t.
I have seen post from people who had awesome PEBLO’s that did everything you expect them to do and some that even go above and beyond but, that is the exception and not the rule. Plan for the worse case scenario and hope for the best. Good luck, keep the site posted about what happens.