LDES / IDES AND VA RATING

maashelton

Registered Member
I have a Va a rating of 90% and am now in the reserves. I wanna update my my medpros.... but i don't know how or how to start my medboard process.

I have a Va a rating of 90% and am now in the reserves. I wanna update my my medpros.... but i don't know how or how to start my medboard process.
You don't get to initiate anything for a MEB. You can let them know your medical issues during your annual PHA or you can report to your unit that you have a medical issue anytime that affects you being able to do your job or deploy regarding a profile. So if you have medical issues and that causes you to not be able to do something on your PT test or MOS etc. you can fill out a profile packet along with your medical records. Your civilian or VA doctor can fill it out if they feel comfortable doing so. My wife's doc didn't know anything about the military so she filled out the packet and went over it with her doctor to ensure they felt comfortable with the restriction and signed off on it.

From there if anything comes down from the profile packet or PHA that causes your unit or medical team from your unit (sometimes is Reserve medical personnel from a different Reserve location) then they can request a fit for duty exam. You go to this exam and that doctor determines makes a recommendation on whether or not to refer you to IDES.

Just know that if referred to IDES you will probably be designated as Non Duty Related IDES and the end result will be kicking you out without a retirement or severance unless you have a LOD. If you have 15 or more good years then you will be retired awaiting pay as a gray area retiree meaning you qualify for a Reserve Retirement but haven't reached the age to receive retired pay.

So unless i get an LOD in the reserves they won't count my active time and i would not qualify for LDES or retirement?

So unless i get an LOD in the reserves they won't count my active time and i would not qualify for LDES or retirement?
The only way you can get a retirement is if you have LOD and found unfit with a dod ratings of at least 30%. How many good years do you have?

Also, even if medically retired that doesn't mean you will get more compensation necessarily. If medically retired with less than 20 years by law you have to agree to a VA offset. So if you don't have a lot of points and your earned longevity pension is $1,500 a month and your VA compensation is 2K per month you get zero pension and 2k from the VA since the VA amount is higher than your longevity pension earned it zeros it out. So the main benefit for of medically retiring is getting Tricare. Once medically retired you may be able to claw back some of the offset back via CRSC but that won't be know until after medically retired and you apply for CRSC.

Anyway, chances are you will be kicked out unless you can fight it and get it duty related. That is a long process with the cards stacked against you.