MEB Returned.. Discharge with 20% Severence Pay. Help please

mrgregory29

PEB Forum Regular Member
I found this board by doing a serious search. Here's the issue. My wife is currently at 17 years 7 months in the AF. She's had problems with her knees for years. She's had 3 knee surgeries in the past year. Her command barred her from reenlisting last year due to PT. She had a DOS of 2 Jul 10. She talked with ADC and they initiated a packet for her to send up to the Dept of AF. She also initiated a MEB process.

The MEB came back yesterday with the above decision. Her packet just left the Base on monday to go up to the Dept of AF. My wife doesn't know what to do. She really wants to make it to 20. 20% is not enough especially since she has to pay it back. She also took the $30K at 15 so she would have to pay that back also. She wants to fight the decision but she also doesn't know what the Dept of the AF is going to say when that decision comes back. So if the MEB/PEB panel lets changes their decision and lets her stay in then the Dept of the AF comes back and says she has to seperate then she's stuck. She can do her job with no problem. She's a 3A. Is there any guidance you guys and give me? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

No. She just got notified yesterday on the decision. After talking with alot of people today I think its best she takes the Severence Pay and walk away.

I found this board by doing a serious search. Here's the issue. My wife is currently at 17 years 7 months in the AF. She's had problems with her knees for years. She's had 3 knee surgeries in the past year. Her command barred her from reenlisting last year due to PT. She had a DOS of 2 Jul 10. She talked with ADC and they initiated a packet for her to send up to the Dept of AF. She also initiated a MEB process.

The MEB came back yesterday with the above decision. Her packet just left the Base on monday to go up to the Dept of AF. My wife doesn't know what to do. She really wants to make it to 20. 20% is not enough especially since she has to pay it back. She also took the $30K at 15 so she would have to pay that back also. She wants to fight the decision but she also doesn't know what the Dept of the AF is going to say when that decision comes back. So if the MEB/PEB panel lets changes their decision and lets her stay in then the Dept of the AF comes back and says she has to seperate then she's stuck. She can do her job with no problem. She's a 3A. Is there any guidance you guys and give me? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If she gets a Med discharge, she will not have to pay it back the REDUX.

FPEB may = compensation above 30% or as you said RTD.

If she gets a Med discharge, she will not have to pay it back the REDUX.

FPEB may = compensation above 30% or as you said RTD.

Whooooaaaa. Backup. lol So you're saying if she takes the Discharge with Severance Pay she will NOT have to pay back the REDUX? Would you happen to have that in writing somewhere? I mean that would be great news if that's true.

I have tried to research this myself through this forum, DOD 7000.14 and USC but I have not found the answer that I am looking for. So I have decided to ask the question on here and hope this person Jason (seems very knowledgable and is all over this site) can chime in with an answer for me.

I have MED'd and received a 30% rating and permanent retirement. I will be at 22 years of service 24 Jan 2011 which makes me over 20 years of service. I am challenging my rating only because I am confused on this REDUX payment (which I took at 15 years) and wanted to make sure which retirement I was going to get. I have read and understand the part about paying it back. I am over 20 years of service that will not happen to me. Where I get confused is if I will be getting 47% (22 years with REDUX calculated) or 55% (pulled out of REDUX and back to high 3). I have read most of chapter 61 under USC and everything in there tells me I will revert back the normal high 3 retirement. What I can not find and no one in the Air Force (hospital, legal office, ADC, MPF, AFPC, DFAS retirement section (called them all with not help)) will help me out. I have been told yes I will get 55% and then someone else will tell me no you still get 47% because of the REDUX option I took. What no one will do for me is give me the reference to their answer. If I am remain under the REDUX program then tell the reference that states this or the reference that says I will be pulled out of the REDUX program.

The only reason I am fighting the 30% is if I do stay under the REDUX program then why not fight the MEB and maybe get 50% disability. I don't know if will get up to 50% but when it comes to a money issue then it will not hurt to try. If I am pulled out of the REDUX then there is no reason to go down to TX and fight for 50% because I will be getting 55% which is higher than the 50% diability.

If anyone could just give the references for disability retirement and volunteer retirement so I can compare it would save me a trip down to TX and just waive the PEB (I think that what is called now) and just retire.

Also one other question that not it really bothers me but just to make me more educated on the retirements. If I am pulled from the REDUX retirement percentage will I still be under the COLA reduction rate of 1% less. This is another option that was given to me, again without any references.

If anyone could just give me the references that will make me understand this whole process would greatly be appreciated. I will take them to my retirement out briefs to make sure I am retired correctly. Also my date for MEB challenge is 12 Jan 2011 so I you can help me before this date it would save me a trip and the AF some money.

Thanks in advance.... TannerJ70