Overseas screening resulted in MEB referral

I was diagnosed with presumptive multiple sclerosis in 2014, and my disease has been stable since 2016. No MEB was initiated with my diagnosis, and I've been living the active duty Vet Corps officer life ever since (13 years total). I was a hard worker before my diagnosis and an endurance athlete, and put all that same effort into maintaining my abilities as much as possible despite my neurologic setbacks. 300+ APFTs, top block evaluations, no physical profiles. I recently was put on assignment to Germany, reporting NLT 01 Aug. At the last part of my Overseas Screening, Medical Readiness said they will not support my OCONUS assignment and that I need to have an MEB initiated. My neurologist is Air Force and doesn't know much about the Army med board process, and referred me to my PCM. My PCM is newly assigned - I've never met him and he knows nothing about my history, and hasn't replied to any of my messages about the referral.

I know AR 40-501 3-30 states that MS and other demyelinating disorders are a cause for referral to MEB. I don't know why I wasn't referred previously... if providers were trying to be nice and keep me under the radar, or if they thought someone else had already referred me. If I hadn't gotten the Germany assignment and stayed stateside, I would have continued under the radar.

If I'm not on profile, is an MEB still initiated? It seems weird I have to hound my PCM to get one initiated because Medical Readiness wanted one. Since I'm still obviously fulfilling my duties, can it be a routine MEB that ends in retention, or does it have to go through a PEB either way? HRC still considers me on assignment to Germany, although I can't get orders until Medical Readiness signs off. Am I stuck in between-assignments limbo?

There are two processes at work. The acceptance by your new duty station is part of the PCS process.

The MEB process should have been initiated long ago.

Do you want to stay on AD? If so, contact your assignments person and they might swap the assignment to keep you on AD.

Medics often don't know much about the MEB process. So it being a cluster is not surprising.