Pay

DS_Wells

PEB Forum Regular Member
Last week I went to VA benefits breif and they confused me about pay. I had the understanding g that I would get my percentage from dod and my percentage from the VA seperatly. At the breif they told me that the VA disability offsets dod retirement. Because I will have less than 20 years. I have looked at the formula for retirement pay it is Your dod rati g times your base pay and then on top of that you get the VA disability pay at your rating. Someone please help!

Indeed VA pay offsets retirement pay.

There are two concurrent receipt programs that restore this offset of retirement pay. The first is Concurrent Receipt of Disability Payments (CRDP). It requires a 50% VA rating. Unfortunately, if you are a disability retiree, it requires 20 years of service to qualify. Length of Service (LOS) retirees do not require 20 years of service. (While most LOS retirees have 20+ years there are 50,000 plus that don't and they get CRDP if their VA rating is 50% or more.) CRDP is limited to the amount of retirement based on LOS or the amount of VA compensation, whichever is less. CRDP payments are made automatically if qualified.

The other concurrent receipt program is Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC). You must apply for CRSC with your Service. CRSC requires that you are receiving VA comp for combat related conditions. CRSC is limited to the amount of LOS retirement or the amount of VA comp for combat related conditions, whichever is less. CRSC payments also suffer from the CRSC glitch which you can read about here:

PEB Forum Home - DES Outrage of the Week # 8 - DoD's CRSC Calculation Glitch

Dear DS_WELLS:

Here is a calculator you can use to help you figure things out.

You can still use this calculator even if you don't have any combat/combat-related percentages of disability. Just put in a zero in the CRSC block.

DFAS has upgraded their website. The new web address for their calculator is:

https://ca.dtic.mil/dfas/estimator/Calculator.htm

This calculator only works for those who have LESS than 20 years of creditable service towards retirement, i.e., no 20 year letter.

The big assumption here is that the Servicemember has gone through the MEB/PEB process, has been awarded a combat/combat related disability rating from this process, has been coded 10a/c on that DA 199 form, and has made application for CRSC through their respective branch of service (CRSC is NOT automatic – you must apply to your branch of service).

You may be shocked at how little you MAY or MAY NOT subsequently be awarded for your CRSC (Combat Related Special Compensation).

Hope this helps!

v/r,
nwlivewire