PEBLOs....Are they Useful?

Everyone in the process is assigned a PEBLO. Reading through the posts on here, it sounds like many don't feel like their PEBLO knows or is doing all they can.

Please post your experiences with your PEBLO. What they did well, what they didn't do well and how you think the system could be improved.

I'll start.

WHAT THEY DID WELL:
-attentive when I'm in their office
-remembered specifics about my case

WHAT THEY DIDN'T DO WELL:
-did not keep me informed of case progress and timeline
-acted like I was an annoyance when I called the office for an update (I only called once a week)
-mis-informed about key facts (told me that CRDP was available to anyone who got 50% or more, even without 20 years service)

THINGS TO IMPROVE:
I am most amazed by the very casual attitude that almost everyone I dealt with had. It's easy for them to be casual, act like you're being impatient when you ask for an update, tell you just to to wait and they will call when the packet returns, etc. I have no idea what the PEBLO training or evaluation consists of, but I would hope that they would emphasize the fact that they are the soldiers advocate and link to information and updates. It should also be stressed that the soldiers should be updated on a weekly basis, even if there is no change.

It seems that the PEBLOs I have dealt with do not comprehend or appreciate the fact that the outcome of the PEB is not a small issue and will affect an individual not only professionally (finding a job), but can have huge personal impacts as well (selling house / finding a new place to live, spouse leaving job due to move, moving family and children, etc) and that almost nothing can be done about any of these things until the final decision is made and a time-line / orders are available.

While no one can give a definite "Your case will be complete on this date" it would be nice to get weekly updates with some information (case is at PEB but has not been looked at yet, case is at PEB being looked at, case has been evaluated and is being finalized, etc).

My experience with my PEBLO has been nothing but wonderful! She answers my emails/calls within just a few minutes, gave me all the info I needed, and helped speed things up as much as she could. From the day I found out I was being boarded to the day my package left the base was only 2 months and I believe that I owe her all the credit for that. I don't call her often, and the only time I email her is if I have specific questions. Maybe it's just me, but I think if you're calling every week asking for an update you're dragging the process out for yourself, you know? I just try to be patient and live as though nothing was going on. The past 5 weeks my package has been gone has really flown by because I don't think about it. I try to stay busy, get things together, prepare, and just let it ride. It'll happen when it happens, lol:) I know it's easier said than done, and many people in the process are far worse off than I am, so just take care of yourself, don't get hurt any worse, and keep on keepin' on:)

In short, I have nothing negative to say about my PEBLO, only positive experiences:)

My post wasn't meant to bash or complain, just trying to offer some criticism of the system.

I also wonder what others experiences have been, good or bad. If there are trends of bad experiences, maybe we can try to have them addressed. Glad you had a good experience!