Post medical retirement question

PEBnewby

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
If I was medically retired, 90% VA 60% DoD, do I see my PCM for my injuries or will I HAVE to get seen by the VA for all my issues that are service connected?

If I was medically retired, 90% VA 60% DoD, do I see my PCM for my injuries or will I HAVE to get seen by the VA for all my issues that are service connected?
Do whichever you want. You can go out in town and see a doctor through TRICARE (you may end up getting a new PCM due to the retirement, but you may not) or go to the VA. But the VA will more than likely be free for you since you're rated above 50% on the VA side. While TRICARE is nice, paying co-pays each time when you could have paid nothing doesn't make much sense (money wise). But it's totally up to you. I personally always go to the VA for my doctors' appointments and use TRICARE for emergencies or for my spouse.

Also, if you're placed on TDRL, only having to worry about getting your medical records from once place makes the process a bit easier when it comes time for your re-evaluation.

Hope that helps.