Service time buyback and medical retirement. ..

Hello i am sure this question has been posted somewhere before but i cant seem to find the answer. A little background. I was active duty USMC for 9 years. After i was medically seperated for rheumatoid arthritis and several other things i got a mil rating of 20%. I also managed 70% with the VA. Shortly after getting medically seperated i was able to get a civil service job as a gs and was told i can buy back those 9 years i did active duty. Which i did. Now here comes the issue. I have now submitted for my case to be reviewed for possible medical retirement. How is my buying back that active duty time going to affect me if i do get my rating overturned and i get medically retired? I am really interested in knowing since i am new to all of this and was never informed from the get go. Plz help....

Hello i am sure this question has been posted somewhere before but i cant seem to find the answer. A little background. I was active duty USMC for 9 years. After i was medically seperated for rheumatoid arthritis and several other things i got a mil rating of 20%. I also managed 70% with the VA. Shortly after getting medically seperated i was able to get a civil service job as a gs and was told i can buy back those 9 years i did active duty. Which i did. Now here comes the issue. I have now submitted for my case to be reviewed for possible medical retirement. How is my buying back that active duty time going to affect me if i do get my rating overturned and i get medically retired? I am really interested in knowing since i am new to all of this and was never informed from the get go. Plz help....
It's not going to affect your buy back in any way. I am medically retired with 9 years also and am presently paying back my military buy back.

Last edited:
Ok so basically cause i was unaware and i didnt know anything about this, if i were to get medically retired next year due to the pdbr, then i would be "retired" and get the benefits but not the retirement pay since i bought that time back? Is that correct? By the way thank you for the responses.

The GS medical retirement is pretty good, buying back your time would most likely incur a raise at 62, but maybe hurt your more immediate pay. Federalsoup.com may have your answer.

I'm not sure how well the FERS program people talk with the DoD retirement office people. I would not assume they will catch the situation since it's pretty unique.

If you have already bought back your Military Service time in FERS, you can always reverse it and they will give you the money back. All you need to be eligible for a FERS Disability retirement is 1.5 years of actual federal civilian service (military time won't count). A FERS disability retirement will NOT offset a DoD retirement.