Starting this process very confused...

GruntWife

Registered Member
First let me thank any and all that take the time to read this and help me out! I am married to an Rifleman in the Marine Corps. In 2008 he sustained an injury to his knee during PT and after medical evaluation, he went on Limited Duty until he had surgery on his knee to repair tears in his meniscus(cartilidge). He went through physical therapy and returned to work on light duty. He stayed on light duty for 8 months, then he returned to regular duty for 3 months before tearing his ACL during a pt exercise. He then went on light duty again for 4 months. Then Limited Duty again before his surgery to repair his ACL. They took out parts of his hamstring to make a new ACL graft for his knee. After this surgery his leg became infected with a hospital born infection that is pretty rare. He ended up being hospitalized for 12 days and during that time he had 4 more surgeries to clear out the infection and remove the screws that were holding his graft in place. This has caused him to miss very crucial physical therapy for his knee. His original papers stated that he would be off limited duty on August 1st. And he is scheduled to EAS on August 8th. Does not seem like he will be through with rehab by that time.

By what you have read do you feel that we have grounds for a PEB? Has anyone else had orthopedic problems such as my husbands? Any advice or things that I should know before starting this process with my husband?

GruntWife,

Welcome! It sounds like your husband should be evaluated by a MEB and likely with a PEB. He should, at the very minimum, get an exit physical before leaving the Marine Corps. But, I suspect that he would likely be identified as needing an MEB before that point and will likely be placed on MED Hold for his disability processing.

Hope all goes well!