TDRL Reevaluation

Rihal11

Registered Member
I'm supposed to get a tdrl reevaluation done by a va/civilian provider, but every single person I've talked to at the VA and any veteran center doesn't know what that is. My primary care doctor at the VA suggested I make an appointment with my psychiatrist for the exam and I just had it today. He said that out of the whole time he has worked there, he has never had to do a tdrl exam or even heard of it. I feel like I'm going crazy. I don't know what to do or even who to contact anymore.

The VA does not conduct TDRL exams. The service that retired you does. They will contact you. The average wait time (anecdotally) for the Army appears to be 18-24 months.

TDRL exam, should be done by Branch of service. When I had mine done (USMC), they flew me to Bethesda (Walter Reed) for pysch appt with naval doc. Afterwards went from TDRL to PDRL. They paid for the transportation costs as well. Save all receipts etc,

On my DA form 199 it says I am to be reevaluated in Dec 22. December past and no one contacted me. I have not changed my phone or address. Do I need ot check in with someone? Also I am 100% T & P through the VA. Does that make any difference? Thank you.

TDRL exam, should be done by Branch of service. When I had mine done (USMC), they flew me to Bethesda (Walter Reed) for pysch appt with naval doc. Afterwards went from TDRL to PDRL. They paid for the transportation costs as well. Save all receipts etc,
They never get me to fly on any airplane ever again

On my DA form 199 it says I am to be reevaluated in Dec 22. December past and no one contacted me. I have not changed my phone or address. Do I need ot check in with someone? Also I am 100% T & P through the VA. Does that make any difference? Thank you.
That exam date on the 199 means next to nothing. That’s the earliest they will conduct a reexamination. No need to check in with anyone anytime soon. Your Va rating and permanent status has no bearing on this process. However, your treatment records likely will factor in along with the exam for your final disposition whenever you end up with a reevaluation.

I totally understand...didn't have a choice. I was living in Massachusetts at the time, so 1 night in Washington DC/Rockville MD was fine. I didn't have an ID card. I had gotten super fat too. It wasn't a great experience. I had to go for a few conditions (shoulders & ptsd).

The VA 100% P&T status is a separate animal. They don't look at the ratings, or at least in my experience they didn't. The MAx DoD is 75% pay if eligible, regardless if says 80, 90, or 100% DOD.

As long as your information for contact is updated in the system and hasn't changed you should be good to go. They will randomly get to you. I'd imagine holiday back up, still the back up from covid related stuff is in play. This evaluation They could continue 1 more time too on TDRL if they choose. After that they must make a determination FIT or Unfit. If Unfit >30% retired PDRL or <30% Severannce check and the door...once you get PDRL. You will get the big Retirement Certificate and Retirement orders DD215. Those you will attach to your last DD214...etc.

I hope I was correct in the information I am trying to pass to you.

Yes, call the TDRL office for your branch.

No, VA rating means squat for this.

or just act normal and wait, show them that tdrl to pdrl change doesnt matter, unless you wanna go back being fit for duty. Dont do anything, and when they contact you for the exam, you better not be late and act normal. Usually, VES office, and questions about rs ask you direct questions about how is tdrl life handling you. Most of the questions will be about your disability and what is your plan in life if you end up becoming pdrl.

My case may be abnormal but for me, a rep from Ft. Bragg called and told me that I was reevaluated ( had to agree with the ratings which were the same) and I was being moved to permanent. I personally had no clue a reevaluation occurred before that call. My theory is that if you truly have those conditions, there really isn't anything to worry about.

I'm supposed to get a tdrl reevaluation done by a va/civilian provider, but every single person I've talked to at the VA and any veteran center doesn't know what that is. My primary care doctor at the VA suggested I make an appointment with my psychiatrist for the exam and I just had it today. He said that out of the whole time he has worked there, he has never had to do a tdrl exam or even heard of it. I feel like I'm going crazy. I don't know what to do or even who to contact anymore.
I got a MH reeval for PTSD, OCD, chronic depression in July 2022 by the VA. The rest of my conditions were static. This led the VA to give me P and T. Now, the military eventually used this reeval to make their determination on whether to move me from TDRL to PDRL. This saves them money since the reeval is already done. However, the reeval must be within 16 months and have enough information for the PEB to make a determination. I was lucky and the timing of things lined up.

As for the date of reeval on the 199, the Army TDRL office knows of the reg, but they are so backed up they can’t honor it. I think they are about 8 months behind. I was supposed to get my military reeval in April 2022 but instead started the official TDRL/PDRL determination in December 2022. Once the process started in December, the TDRL office said, ”Hey we see your VA reeval and we think it will be enough. We are forwarding your packet to the PEB.” Within a week or so, I was assigned a PEBLO at West Point (which was odd cause I live next to Walter Reed - maybe because my case was easy). A week later, the PEBLO had my new DA199. Everything matched the VA ratings and I was moved over to PDRL after I concurred.

Fairly easy process for me, and I’m grateful. I know it can be harder for others.

They make it sound so easy when your getting seperated but once your on the out things are everything but easy, ive been fired from every job i had, put on probabtion at school and had to leave, in and out of VA hospital for anxiety and panic attacks, i thought i was having a heart attack one time,
Its everything but easy