Skyhunter88

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Greetings folks!

Received my PDRL orders recently and I’m curious as to which TRICARE I’m eligible. I’m in the national guard with a prior 10 years AD time. My orders state that the retirement allotment code is 12 and the statute authorizing retirement is 1204 and I have a combat related injury. I tried calling TRICARE to get info and the person I spoke didn’t seem exactly sure and stated they thought I would fall under the retired reserve TRICARE (1k+ a month) while I was under the impression I’d fall under TRICARE standard or prime being a medical retiree. Sorry if this a lot of info to process and hopefully somebody that’s been in a similar situation or has knowledge can shed some light.

Greetings folks!

Received my PDRL orders recently and I’m curious as to which TRICARE I’m eligible. I’m in the national guard with a prior 10 years AD time. My orders state that the retirement allotment code is 12 and the statute authorizing retirement is 1204 and I have a combat related injury. I tried calling TRICARE to get info and the person I spoke didn’t seem exactly sure and stated they thought I would fall under the retired reserve TRICARE (1k+ a month) while I was under the impression I’d fall under TRICARE standard or prime being a medical retiree. Sorry if this a lot of info to process and hopefully somebody that’s been in a similar situation or has knowledge can shed some light.
If 10 USC 1204 is the authorizing statute, you will be medically retired. Computation of pay is controlled by 10 USC 1401. Regarding Tricare, my instinct is to say you will be placed on a typical Tricare Standard plan, unless you choose Prime, but I am not 100% on that. I need to review some of the statutes and regulations before I give a definitive answer.

Will be in the same boat shortly.

Was under the impression we would get standard or prime

If you are medically retired (30% or greater) you will qualify for Tricare for Retirees. Once you are eligible for medicare part B, you will have to switch to Tricare for Life.

https://tricare.mil/Plans/Eligibility/RSMandFamilies
I will be eligible for medicare part b in a couple months. I know I have to get he medicare and pay the premium but will Tricare automatically change over or do I have do something?

I will be eligible for medicare part b in a couple months. I know I have to get he medicare and pay the premium but will Tricare automatically change over or do I have do something?

The date that you are Part B eligible, Tricare will drop you from Tricare for Retirees and you will be responsible for any bills once you are dropped (you will probably not be notified).

You will be placed on Tricare for Life on the first of the following month, therefore you can potentially be without coverage for up to 30 days. ( I was without coverage form the 8th to the 31st)