UAV count as combat ?

Judge not another of his or her crisis. Few warriors are without wounds in war.

PTSD... sure. Flight Pay, Hazardous Duty Pay or Combat Pay..... I'm sorry; I'm out :( (My Opinion... based on emotion , not science) ;)

Well, I have seen more than enough of folks milking it. AD folks who say nothing of any problems till just before they get their 20 or 30 then they start saying all kinds of things are wrong with them. I know them by name as we have a local base. Most of these I know of are AF. I can speak freely of my opinion as I know them and know it is wrong to do this. I know dozens of them doing this. They are bragging about the VA comp and wanting to supplement their retirement. That is not what VA comp is for. Regardless of what the law states. It is for those that "have borne the brunt of war." I won't even get started on what I've seen from the Guard/Reserve side.

I understand each can have their story but if u aint been there in the middle it is totally different. I see 2 different shrinks who have extensive experience dealing wid COMBAT vets wid PTSD. Although anyone is susceptible to obtaining PTSD in the states like a rape or a vehicle accident(as just an example) it isn't the same as COMBAT PTSD. The experienced shrinks know dis. It's the exposure one has in COMBAT.

Maybe some folks can live wid themselves for milkin but I reserve all of my decisions to retaining my dignity, honesty and loyalty.

Im new here, this is my first post, i was in the Marines for 11 years, mostly with recon units. most of my men was either killed or wounded. I myself have shot 3 times, and had my knee almost tore off. I have a real job i run equipment, i dont milk the gov for anything but.... I do agree there are some out there that do. BTW, i have cpsd, im bi- polar with a very very angrey depression BUT... i still work, i ask nothing from the gov. Thank you. blackdog.

Not Entirely defending anybody here, but just stating that any traumatic experience can cause PTSD I.E. an assualt, rape, child abuse... etc. I am not passing judgement on anybody but as a neutral entity... If a child can get PTSD, so can a UAV operator.

If you've never crewed an RPA mission, you're out of your element. The missions RPA crews undertake are stressful, lengthy, visceral, and often disturbing. The responsibility to kill another human being affects us all differently. Near or far is, therefore, irrelevant. Death is death. And the stress of such a difficult task is compounded by a short drive home to get the family to the soccer game on time. The dichotomous lifestyle compounds the stress; it offers little relief. Just as I would never speculate as to the experiences of another, I'd ask the same respect of others.

I flew AC130's from 2002-2007. We were always overhead slingin lead, and would watch the hit on IR/TV screens as they impact...body parts fly each direction. That said, there is a certain added element that contributes to PTSD when your body is over the bad guy while he is trying to take you down with MANPADS, AAA or RPG fire, not to mention the added stressors of unpressurized flight, blacked out yankin and bankin and your life is immediately threatened every mission. Point is, even when your watching a screen rather than killing face to face, you are still putting a round down and watching the results "live" and, if you don't compartmentalize what you are doing, it's difficult to complete the mission, not to mention dealing with the mental issues when you return from downrange. Another thing that many people don't realize is that anybody that flys an attack aircraft often have Pred feeds, and since the Preds on typically onsite watching first, that means you have the unfortuante chance to watch your fellow airmen, soldiers, sailors and marines getting IED'd or ambushed and listen to them screaming for your help over the radio before you have the ability to get on station to provide CAS and help em out. UAV/Pred operators are watching the same thing (and often at better resolution/better visual detail). That, in itself, is enough to cause some issues in the noggin.
I agree, the actions/events that trigger PTSD are different in each individual and unless you have been in the shoes of a person during the events that are giving them grief, it doesn't make sense to generalize what activities are "required" in order to trigger PTSD in an individual. PTSD sucks, and I think that anybody/everybody that has served in a combat capacity (including remote like UAV's) has it in one form or another and ranging in severity.

I agree. Watching body parts fly around over FLIR, or feed is just as bad as in person.

It still aint the same if u aint on the ground. Not an opinion. Fact. This comes from many shrinks experienced wid dealing with combat ground forces. And their take on it is what means the most when it comes to a diagnosis.

It still aint the same if u aint on the ground. Not an opinion. Fact. This comes from many shrinks experienced wid dealing with combat ground forces. And their take on it is what means the most when it comes to a diagnosis.

I'm often amazed at how people always feel like they have to be bigger and badder than the next guy. We are all players on the same team and should work towards supporting each other regardless of branch, rank, beliefs etc. PTSD can happen anywhere....ground, air, sea...wherever. I hope that anybody that feels like they are having issues don't fall into this myth of "only on the ground" stuff and they get help- no matter where they served.

I'm often amazed at how people always feel like they have to be bigger and badder than the next guy. We are all players on the same team and should work towards supporting each other regardless of branch, rank, beliefs etc. PTSD can happen anywhere....ground, air, sea...wherever. I hope that anybody that feels like they are having issues don't fall into this myth of "only on the ground" stuff and they get help- no matter where they served.

I agree aviatior..... they can suffer from PTST. I am reminded though of the little smiley faces on the pain chart ....... my "1" on the chart could easily be a "10" in somebody eles's world..... very subjective and interpreted by people "practicing medicine"...... practicing being the key word. Anything dealing with mental health tends to be a slippery slope. I do know this... the are to many holes in the mantal health saftey net. :eek:

I agree aviatior..... they can suffer from PTST. I am reminded though of the little smiley faces on the pain chart ....... my "1" on the chart could easily be a "10" in somebody eles's world..... very subjective and interpreted by people "practicing medicine"...... practicing being the key word. Anything dealing with mental health tends to be a slippery slope. I do know this... the are to many holes in the mantal health saftey net. :eek:

I agree 100%

This is undoubtedly the reason why cases involving PTSD or other mental issues tend to take longer than the others...a lot is left to interpretation and no two people are alike. There is lots of room for improvement in the mental health system, and we can't leave anybody behind!

Not much value added to comparing each others experiences and stressors. Even less value in making issues of how some experienced worse things than others. None of this matters to the outcome of EACH case (which will be judged on whether the condition is unfitting and, if so, how it matches the rating criteria).

I won't let this tangent go on much longer. If I feel the thread is not being helpful or has value, I will maybe lock the thread, delete posts that are not helpful, or take whatever steps I feel to keep things on track here.

Your Right Jason, We are here to assist each other and we will not leave anyone behind ...or walk past anyone who has fallen. This 1% must (veterans) must take care of our own...... ;)

bunt0025,

Your question was regarding CRSC. The only opinion that really matters is that of the CRSC folks. Simply apply!

This thread really upsets me more and more. Everyone who has been diagnosed with PTSD has a different story. We are all part of the military here. Some of us were infantry, some artillery, some fighter pilots, some were finance clerks who were within yards of being blown up by a rocket, some were medevac pilots and medics landing into very dangerous LZs and seeing both enemy and friendly wounded and dead, some may have been stateside operating a UAV, and some may have been with mortuary affairs dealing with dead soldiers every single day. We all served in different ways and all deal with our experiences and memories differently. Some shut it out until later or an event triggers something from the past while some have shown symptoms since the onset of the experience. Anybody on here trying to up-play or down-play another ones diagnosis should be ashamed of themselves. True, some milk the system, but don't let that spoil it for those who truly deal with their own demons daily. Personally, I don't judge a single person on here. I see nothing but an excellent source of information and a place for all of us to come together from all branches of service. I don't know anyone on here personally, and it is most likely neither do most of you, yet some of you want to tell another your PTSD is worse? This is just really sad. I am not trying to add fuel to the fire. I am trying to cool it down and maybe make some of you think before the next time you decide to post to this awesome tool Jason has made for us.

This thread really upsets me more and more. Everyone who has been diagnosed with PTSD has a different story. We are all part of the military here. Some of us were infantry, some artillery, some fighter pilots, some were finance clerks who were within yards of being blown up by a rocket, some were medevac pilots and medics landing into very dangerous LZs and seeing both enemy and friendly wounded and dead, some may have been stateside operating a UAV, and some may have been with mortuary affairs dealing with dead soldiers every single day. We all served in different ways and all deal with our experiences and memories differently. Some shut it out until later or an event triggers something from the past while some have shown symptoms since the onset of the experience. Anybody on here trying to up-play or down-play another ones diagnosis should be ashamed of themselves. True, some milk the system, but don't let that spoil it for those who truly deal with their own demons daily. Personally, I don't judge a single person on here. I see nothing but an excellent source of information and a place for all of us to come together from all branches of service. I don't know anyone on here personally, and it is most likely neither do most of you, yet some of you want to tell another your PTSD is worse? This is just really sad. I am not trying to add fuel to the fire. I am trying to cool it down and maybe make some of you think before the next time you decide to post to this awesome tool Jason has made for us.

I agree hawkdrivermtp .... and I hear ya Brother....... sometime it's just better to remember that ya can't fix stupid.
Ones issues or pain are real to those that suffer..... and the best we can do is support each other and stop playing the
"Who's The Toughest Second Lieutenant Game"....... it really serves no productive function, and wastes the energy
that could be utilized elsewhere..... ;) ..... for the health and welfare of our Brother's And Sisters At Arms In Need.

And this SITE is the most productive, useful "Life Line" and resource that is available..... We Need To Respect It And Use It Properly. :D

I agree hawkdrivermtp .... and I hear ya Brother....... sometime it's just better to remember that ya can't fix stupid.
Ones issues or pain are real to those that suffer..... and the best we can do is support each other and stop playing the
"Who's The Toughest Second Lieutenant Game"....... it really serves no productive function, and wastes the energy
that could be utilized elsewhere..... ;) ..... for the health and welfare of our Brother's And Sisters At Arms In Need.

And this SITE is the most productive, useful "Life Line" and resource that is available..... We Need To Respect It And Use It Properly. :D

We brought about 30-40 WWII era vets (probably the greatest generation in my opinion) on base the other day to give them a tour and it made me think. Many of these guys had never met each other, some were soldiers, some marines, some navy, some even from the original Army Air Corps. Nonetheless, they introduced themselves to each other, and soon were exchanging stories and experiences...like good buddies. They understood that, despite being separate branches, they were all on the same team...they relied on each other on the beaches of Normandy and Omaha, and behind German enemy lines. They were all negatively affected by war, but their bond as brothers in arms gave them the drive to push on.

bunt0025,

Your question was regarding CRSC. The only opinion that really matters is that of the CRSC folks. Simply apply!

I agree 100%