Site Founder
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Lifetime Supporter
Registered Member
Timely decisions hard to find at Veterans Affairs

By CHRIS ADAMS
McClatchy Newspapers
WASHINGTON | The Department of Veterans Affairs fell further behind this year in its attempts to give veterans timely decisions on their disability claims, new records show.
The latest numbers are in an annual performance report the VA prepares for Congress. Overall, the agency either has fallen behind or has made no progress in improving its performance in more than half of what it lists as its key goals.
In its speed of processing disability claims, the agency lost ground for the third year in a row.
Moreover, McClatchy Newspapers has found that the VA put a positive spin on many of its numbers and in two instances provided Congress with incorrect or incomplete figures.
The agency said it took an average of 183 days to process a claim in fiscal 2007, longer than in any of the five years tracked in the report. Processing exceeded its 2007 goal of 160 days and its long-term goal of eventually reducing processing time to 125 days.
Congress and veterans closely watch the time it takes the VA to process claims, and the agency has vowed in previous years to pick up the pace. When it was asked about its processing speed last year, for example, the VA told McClatchy that hiring new workers would help it increase production and decrease its backlog of claims in 2007.
In fact, processing time increased by an average of six days, and the backlog of pending claims rose from 377,681 to 391,257, the agency’s records show.
The VA said this week that it was aggressively tackling the issue, hiring more than 1,000 workers, boosting overtime and revamping training. The agency also said it was receiving more disability claims than it had at any time in recent history and that it had received more than it had expected in 2007.
Beyond that, the agency said that meeting or exceeding its goals wasn’t always the best measure of success.
“The VA sets goals to measure how we are doing so that we can continuously improve performance,” said Bob Henke, assistant secretary for management. “We use goals to move and improve performance.”
But for Sen. Patty Murray, a Washington Democrat, the report is more evidence that the agency hasn’t been upfront with Congress about its performance or its needs.
“It is extremely frustrating to hear the song and dance that we are doing better when the reality is we are not,” said Murray, a member of the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee. “I want to say I’m surprised. But I’m not.”
In many sections of the report, the VA looks past the missed goals to put the best face on its efforts.
Under “Positive 2007 Outcomes,” for example, the VA highlights “accurate claims processing” and said the “accuracy rate ... was maintained at 88 percent, helping to ensure that veterans receive the proper level of monetary benefits.” Only elsewhere does the report note that 88 percent is below the agency’s goal of 98 percent.
The VA reports that 95 percent or more of outpatient visits are scheduled within 30 days of the patients’ desired dates, a fact it has touted to Congress repeatedly. The agency’s inspector general, however, found this year that only 75 percent of the visits it examined took place within 30 days. The VA said it didn’t agree with that finding and was examining the issue.
The VA also claimed that customer-satisfaction ratings by inpatients at VA hospitals are 10 points higher than ratings from private-sector hospitals. In fact, the number the agency used as a comparison is wrong, and as a result the advantage for VA hospitals is half as big as the VA claims.
The VA told McClatchy on Monday that the mistake was made by a “transposition error, and we will be fixing that as soon as possible.”

This is a disturbing trend. PEBFORUM members should take note because it may mean that you may face a delay in getting compensation from the VA. I think this report of delay is significant, however, it would be interesting to see the raw data. I am also not clear if the numbers reflect OIF/OEF era Servicemembers as Veterans of these conflicts are supposed to be given priority in processing. Still, this lag is something to be aware of.

FYI, the VA allows those being separated due to disability to apply prior to separation. I did this about a month before I got out. ( In Aug 07) I finally recieved a letter in early October stating that they were working my claim, and what paperwork they needed from me. My initial exam is next week.
So a word of advice, as soon as you know that you are going to be separated, go to the VA website and submit your claim online. Every day you wait is another day that you will have to wait for YOUR money and YOUR benefits.

Thanks for mentioning that! Watson posted about this here. I suspect that averaging the days wait for all cases may not be very helpful to trying to figure out how fast any one individual case is likely to be processed, it is only useful to spot trends. First, as a policy they are giving priority to OEF/OIF veterans. Second, the different Regional Offices process cases at very different rates (and also award differently). Finally, cases that are complicated will likely take longer. I think it is hard to compare a complicated case wit a more straightforward case. So, if you are an OIF vet and apply in a state with a good processing time, you may get your benefits relatively soon (meaning several months). But if you apply in a state that is slow, or have a complicated case, you may be looking at a longer delay. I would also strongly recommend appying while in service. Looking at how others cases are processed won't help you unless you use that info to prompt you to submit your own case as soon as possible. There is no VA deadline for submitting a claim, but if you do it within a year, you will get retroactive to the date of your discharge (so, get on it)!

I am looking to add some software to track the timelines of everyones cases. I hadn't thought to do this, but now that you mention it, I may go ahead and see if I can include the VA processing in that.

Hello I am new to the site and have already learned alot! My husband is in the ARNG. He filed a claim in Illinois for the VA and it took 15 months to receive his award letter/decision. My suggestion is to start the process as soon as possible, and keep calling the VA to check on the status of your claim.

Good Luck!

From what we were told they have that new program here kinda like a "test pilot" program and if it goes good then other places may start doing it--where I dont know if its just limited to retires or medical retirement but where you can get your VA appts and the process started before you get out--and have your results when or shorly after you get out. Dh has had all his appts and the other day they still told him 30-90 dayswhen he turned in his DD214 which i guess isent bad compared to others you hear waiting a year. I think this program makes it easier on the soilder.