VA education benefits transfer

eerf123

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
I transferred my education benefits to my kids and incurred a service commitment as a result. If I get medically retired before fully Completing that extra time what happens to that benefit.
Anyone been though this already or are aware of what regulations cover this scenario?

Re: "If I get medically retired before fully Completing that extra time what happens to that benefit?" The first paragraph shown below indicates you would continue to retain eligibility.

"If service members fail to fulfill their service obligation because of a “force shaping” event -- such as officers involuntarily separated as a result of being twice passed over for promotion or enlisted personnel involuntarily separated as a result of failure to meet minimum retention standards, such as high year of tenure -- the change will allow them to retain their eligibility to transfer education benefits even if they haven't served the entirety of their obligated service commitment through no fault of their own. "
LINK <----

Ron

Thanks Ron

How about if you get approved for LAS and therefore make your 20 but you don’t make it past that service commitment date again. Do the same rules apply?

Thanks Ron

How about if you get approved for LAS and therefore make your 20 but you don’t make it past that service commitment date again. Do the same rules apply?

Hello,

I apologize for being unable to answer your question.

Forty-eight hours ago or less, I did not know one thing about the subject being discussed. I had some time, so I researched the matter and found what I posted at post no. 2.

The information available was less than elaborate.

Perhaps someone else has experience in the area or you can call the VA which I think is the governing agency.

Good luck,
Ron