Why stay in the military?

I will try and keep it short.

I am in the guard (14 years)

I am rated at 70% VA

The guard started a meb, but it would most likely take anywhere from 1-2 years to complete.

Why should I wait it out? Doesn't my retirement get subtracted from my VA disability anyways? I would have to wait until 60 to collect unless I'm over 30% (which will not happen). All I would be doing is making myself go through 2 more years of stress and for what?

Would you get out of the guard?

For me I'd have to sit down with some online calculators and do the math. It is stressful. The benefits though are for life. I can't speak as to the difference in subtracted pay for guard members as I don't know how much you make. It may be better to get out. Since you said 30% isn't going to happen, I take it the condition they are referring to the MEB is not the same condition you are rated at 70% for?

What is the condition that is going to be likely to be unfittbig for you?

They can med retire me at 15 years, but it just does not seem to benefit me any from what I understand.

I will try and keep it short.

I am in the guard (14 years)

I am rated at 70% VA

The guard started a meb, but it would most likely take anywhere from 1-2 years to complete.

Why should I wait it out? Doesn't my retirement get subtracted from my VA disability anyways? I would have to wait until 60 to collect unless I'm over 30% (which will not happen). All I would be doing is making myself go through 2 more years of stress and for what?

Would you get out of the guard?

Financially there is no benefit to you remaining in the guard. Any pay you will receive will be offset from your VA C&P which means you are basically attending battle assembly for the points and time in service.

If you get to 20 years, your LOS retirement is fully earned and you can start collecting it at the age of 60 (or sooner if you qualify under the NDAA of 2008). It will not be subtracted from your VA C&P.

If you believe that your guard enlistment is creating stress that is affecting your health in a negative way, you may want to request to be transferred to the IRR.

I would be careful with that though, based upon the current events that are happening globally, you may find yourself getting pulled out of the IRR and sent overseas to fight this war that we cannot seem to end.

On the flip side, if you stay in and your unit gets activated, the folks who are not deployable stay home and work in their unit while the ones who are physically able deploy.

I thought that any retirement earned will be compared to your VA and somehow calculated and if your VA is higher there is no real benefit to receiving retirement other than a few medical perks.

The only way I understand that you can collect both is by having a SCD in a combat zone or being rated at 30% or more from a SCD DoD?

OK now I see what you are saying. So it does not get subtracted if I hit 20, but what if I only hit 15 and get medically booted?

According to my calculations I'm only going to be making about $340 as an E-5 booted at 15. Minus taxes its about what I make at drill.