Will a claim keep me from re-entering Air Force

Chinook

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
hey everyone,

My friend has a question. He was active duty and then reserves. While on orders he had trouble with his IT Band-knee. He had injections with no improvement. Got out of reserves to start medical school. He's half way through now-is on his way to clinicals. He's in Colo til April, his dad (ex-Army) suggested that he claims this injury with the VA. I support the idea. However, my friend brings up an interesting question.

When he finishes med school, he wants to have the option of going back to AD/AF as a physician. Will his claim automatically be a concern for him?

My thought was that it wouldn't make him automatically unfit. That would be the question-correct? Aren't there people who are active duty with VA ratings? Its just that if he went back to AD he wouldn't collect anything if he was in fact awarded something for this IT Band problem. Correct? Am I on track at all???

Thanks in advance.

Chinook

It would not necessarily disqualify him from later service. He would have to meet accession standards (per AFI 48-123). However, even if he fails the standard, there may be a waiver. I would tend to think that a "minor" claim would not be a bar, I can't say for sure based on not knowing the exact circumstances. Though, technically, the standards for accession apply across all career fields, I would tend to think that a physician would have an easier time of getting a waiver than, say, a Security Forces airman. And, yes, there are folks on active duty with VA ratings (and you are also correct that he would have to waive the VA compensation if collecting active duty pay).

Jason,

Thank you. As always-I appreciate you. I will pass this on to my friend. :)

I try to pay attention to all the questions & I try to remember the answers and how things work. But there's a lot to remember...its amazing all the questions that come up :)

Thank you again for all you do!