Can someone run the numbers of what to expect 19 year 4 month med board

Matthew.w.mickey

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
@Ron
I am received my 199 today. I have no clue how to read this. Basd date is 20 Aug 2002. I went to basic 3 jan 2003. I am going to be shy of 20 years by months. I am so confused can someone tell me how much a month I can expect. I'm tracking I can not receive my retirement. Ia trying to figure out though would I get both va disability and csrc? Or just 1

1.--Average high three for basic pay
The total of my highest 36 months of pay divided by 36 is $6,424

1a.--Did you receive a DoD disability retirement (i.e., "Chapter 61")?
I am med boarding now

2.--DoD disability percentage
My DOD disability retirement percentage shown in my retirement orders are be 70%

3. --Active duty years and months
My active duty equivalent shown on my retirement orders will be 19 years 4 months. I just received my 199 today

4. --VA compensation (All of the following)
My VA Compensation percentage is 100%. My dependents for VA compensation are spouse and 1 children under 18.

5.--Projected or approved CRSC percentage by your service.
I don't know on my 199 it says the 70% is combat related that is only for the condition I am getting med boarded out for. Where can I see the total number

8.--Did you accept the Blended Retirement program option?
No, I am not part of the blended retirement system.

@Ron
I am received my 199 today. I have no clue how to read this. Basd date is 20 Aug 2002. I went to basic 3 jan 2003. I am going to be shy of 20 years by months. I am so confused can someone tell me how much a month I can expect. I'm tracking I can not receive my retirement. Ia trying to figure out though would I get both va disability and csrc? Or just 1

I am med boarding now

My DOD disability retirement percentage shown in my retirement orders are be 70%

My active duty equivalent shown on my retirement orders will be 19 years 4 months. I just received my 199 today

My VA Compensation percentage is 100%. My dependents for VA compensation are spouse and 1 children under 18.

I don't know on my 199 it says the 70% is combat related that is only for the condition I am getting med boarded out for. Where can I see the total number

Is your condition PDRL or TDRL?

You are in a very risky scenario then. I would talk to an attorney about options such as appealing TDRL to get PDRL. Also, applying for COAD etc. If COAD is approved they would let you stay in and hit your 20 years. I would also talk to a congressperson about your situation. They may be able to apply some pressure on higher ups to allow you to finish to hit 20 years. Getting out on TDRL means the rating could go down to zero. If that were to happen you would get a severance check and then lose everything instead of retiring.

@RonG

I am med boarding now

4. --My VA Compensation percentage is 100%.
My dependents for VA compensation are spouse and 1 children under 18.

No, I am not part of the blended retirement system

@Ron

I am med boarding now

Hello @Matthew.w.mickey

Your VA compensation (omitted above) will be: $3,653.89

1. 6,424 x 70% = 4496.80 retired pay
2. 4496.80 minus 3653.89 = 842.91 residual retired pay you keep
3. 19.333 AD x 2.5% = 48.33% longevity multiplier
4. 6424 x 48.33% = 3104.72 longevity portion of retired pay
5. 3104.72 longevity amount minus 842.91 residual =2261.81 maximum amount of CRSC
6. Monthly payments:
VA = 3653.89
DFAS residual = 842.91
DFAS potential maximum CRSC = 2261.81
The combination of residual retired pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay.

—->The CRSC amount (before reduction of any residual) is the lesser of the VA comp amount for the approved CRSC percentage OR the longevity portion of retired pay.

Ron

Edited to add 70% scenario (CRSC application has not been submitted):
If your CRSC was 70%, the amount would be 1,754.95 and that amount plus residual retired pay of 842.91 could not exceed 3104.72

That percentage would result in:
VA = 3653.89
DFAS residual = 842.91
DFAS potential maximum CRSC = 1754.95 @70%

Ron

You would receive all the amounts shown above is your CRSC was approved at 70%. You do not have an approved percentage yet.

@Matthew.w.mickey
If your CRSC was 70%, the amount would be 1,754.95 and that amount plus residual retired pay of 842.91 could not exceed 3104.72

VA = 3653.89
DFAS residual = 842.91

Ron

You would receive all the amounts shown above is your CRSC was approved at 70%. You do not have an approved percentage yet.

So I'll receive va 3653 and dfas residual 842 and crsc 2261 or just one
You would receive all of those amounts IF the longevity amount was less than 70% or other CRSC approved percentage.
Generally, CRSC is the lesser of the longevity amount or the CRSC percentage amount. See my post using 70% (since you do not have an approved CRSC percentage).

Ron

Tdrl I think
I 100% agree with Provis.. If you can wait 8 months more, do an appeal on your 199.. Either go for COAD or PDRL. With TDRL, your CRSC is super hard to determine based on the facts you have listed. This also means they can take it away in the future. Everything @RonG calculated for you is best case scenario, and you could be in for a shock in the future.

You should be eligible to apply for a COAD. Which would give you the ability to make it to 20 years. You would then automatically be enrolled in CRDP, which would allow you to collect your retirement pay as well as medical compensation.

Agreed with the above comments, if you haven't already talked to your PEBLO about applying for COAD you have VERY limited time to get your election in along with your COAD application. Sorry I'm late to the party on this :/

@Matthew.w.mickey

VA = 3653.89
DFAS residual = 842.91

Ron

I went through the IDES system and came out with 80% DoD disability (max is 75%), 100% P&T VA disability with 50% Combat related. I am on COAD (as of June 22) right now to hit my 20 years (April 2023).

I have been told that 6 months before my retirement (in about 2 months) they will start the IDES process again however it is my choice whether I go through it again.

My high 3 is around $6,400, split that in half and it puts my retirement at $3200. VA wife with two dependents is approximately $3800. So with CDRP I am looking at $7000 in total benefits, correct?

Question:

1. Is there a benefit to going back through the MEB/PEB process if the most percentage I can get is for LOS/longevity (50%)?

I have been told by some people that going through the MEB again is beneficial because I would get the full disability percentage and the full VA since I will be over 20 years. From what I have researched and read on these forums it seems that is not the case.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I went through the IDES system and came out with 80% DoD disability (max is 75%), 100% P&T VA disability with 50% Combat related. I am on COAD (as of June 22) right now to hit my 20 years (April 2023).

I have been told that 6 months before my retirement (in about 2 months) they will start the IDES process again however it is my choice whether I go through it again.

My high 3 is around $6,400, split that in half and it puts my retirement at $3200. VA wife with two dependents is approximately $3800. So with CDRP I am looking at $7000 in total benefits, correct?

Question:

1. Is there a benefit to going back through the MEB/PEB process if the most percentage I can get is for LOS/longevity (50%)?

I have been told by some people that going through the MEB again is beneficial because I would get the full disability percentage and the full VA since I will be over 20 years. From what I have researched and read on these forums it seems that is not the case.

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Hello @Treadless Patriot

1. You have two posts that are essentially the same; my comments will be limited to this one.
2. You said your high three is around 6400; then, 6400 x 75% DoD percentage = 4800 disability retired pay
3. 4800 minus 3800 VA amount per your remarks = 1000 residual retired pay you get to keep
4. What 20 years are you speaking about? Reserve/NG good years or 20 years active duty? It makes a difference. I will assume you are active duty and the 20 years is for a regular retirement.
5. 20 years active duty x 2.5% = 50% for longevity retirement. Note: 2% is used for Blended Retirement Program.
6. 6400 x 50% = 3200 longevity portion of retired pay
7. Your CRDP will be: 3200 minus 1000 residual retired pay = 2200 CRDP
8. Using your info, DFAS will pay:
--2200 CRDP
--1000 residual retired pay
TOTAL from DFAS: 3200
9. The VA will pay the 3800 you cited, if accurate
10. CRSC could not exceed 2200 plus you would receive the 1000 residual. CRSC could be less if the approved CRSC percentage results in a lower amount found in the VA comp tables. See Collection of CRSC information LINK <—-

Ron
Edited to add:
DFAS: Is it taxable?

Taxes: Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > manage > taxes > isittaxable <—-Link

Last edited:
Hello @Treadless Patriot

1. You have two posts that are essentially the same; my comments will be limited to this one.
2. You said your high three is around 6400; then, 6400 x 75% DoD percentage = 4800 disability retired pay
3. 4800 minus 3800 VA amount per your remarks = 1000 residual retired pay you get to keep
4. What 20 years are you speaking about? Reserve/NG good years or 20 years active duty? It makes a difference. I will assume you are active duty and the 20 years is for a regular retirement.
5. 20 years active duty x 2.5% = 50% for longevity retirement. Note: 2% is used for Blended Retirement Program.
6. 6400 x 50% = 3200 longevity portion of retired pay
7. Your CRDP will be: 3200 minus 1000 residual retired pay = 2200 CRDP
8. Using your info, DFAS will pay:
--2200 CRDP
--1000 residual retired pay
TOTAL from DFAS: 3200
9. The VA will pay the 3800 you cited, if accurate
10. CRSC could not exceed 2200 plus you would receive the 1000 residual. CRSC could be less if the approved CRSC percentage results in a lower amount found in the VA comp tables. See Collection of CRSC information LINK <—-

Ron
Edited to add:

Taxes: Defense Finance and Accounting Service > RetiredMilitary > manage > taxes > isittaxable <—-Link
My apologies for posting twice. Realized after the first one I should have posted here. Yes active duty.

Thank you for the quick response.

Ina nut shell my total income before taxes will be $7000, correct?

So, do you see any benefit of going back through the MEB/PEB process since no matter what my DoD (whether disability or longevity) will be the same?

Also if you can’t draw CRSC and CDRP at the same time then why calculate it. CRDP is for regular retirement and disability retirement even after 20 years, correct?

Hello @Treadless Patriot

Ref:

So, do you see any benefit of going back through the MEB/PEB process since no matter what my DoD (whether disability or longevity) will be the same?

Also if you can’t draw CRSC and CDRP at the same time then why calculate it. CRDP is for regular retirement and disability retirement even after 20 years, correct?

COMMENTS:

1. VA Compensation is not taxable.
2. CRSC is not taxable
3. Residual retired pay and CRDP (CRDP is retired pay as well), may or may not be taxable; however, in most cases they are. That is the reason I provided the link to "Is it Taxable" so you could make a determination.
5. Why would I provide CRDP info? I did because your approved CRSC might not be as high as the longevity portion of retired pay. CRDP restores all the longevity portion of retired pay that was waived. CRSC has many limits. You might want to read the CRDP and CRSC material on the DFAS web page. And the link I provided earlier: Collection of CRSC information LINK <—-
6. The combination of residual retired pay and and CRDP cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay. CRSC has similar restrictions plus several others.

Ron

From DFAS​

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP)

Combat-Related Special Compensation (CRSC) and Concurrent Retirement Disability Pay (CRDP) are programs created by Congress to allow eligible military retirees to receive monthly entitlements in addition to retired pay.

CRSC is a special compensation for combat-related disabilities. It is non-taxable, and retirees must apply to their Branch of Service to receive it.

CRDP is a restoration of retired pay for retirees with service-connected disabilities. It is taxed in the same manner as your retired pay, and it is normally considered taxable income. No application is required. Eligible retirees receive CRDP automatically.

The purpose of these entitlements is to recover some or all of the retired pay that military retirees waive for VA disability compensation.

Monthly Payments

Like your retired pay, DFAS pays CRDP and CRSC monthly on the first business day of each month. You will receive your CRDP or CRSC payment in the same manner as your retired pay:

• If your retired pay is being direct deposited into your bank account, we will do the same for your CRDP or CRSC payment.
  • If your retired pay is sent to you as a paper check, we will do the same for your CRDP or CRSC payment.
To verify your bank account information or check your mailing address prior to receiving your first payment, log in to your myPay account or call 800-321-1080.

Retroactive Payments

DFAS and the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) manage the CRDP/CRSC Processing program (formerly known as VA Retro) to pay eligible military retirees any retroactive CRSC, CRDP and/or VA disability compensation they are owed.

A retroactive payment will include any money you may have been entitled to before you received your first monthly payment.

A retiree may be due funds from DFAS, the VA or from both agencies. DFAS and the VA remain in communication with each other to successfully establish and process CRDP and CRSC accounts.

DFAS will audit your account to determine whether or not you are due retroactive payment. An audit of your account requires researching pay information from both DFAS and VA.

If DFAS finds that you are also due a retroactive payment from the VA, we will forward an audit to the VA. They are responsible for paying any money they may owe you.

Find out more about the VA Waiver, CRDP and CRSC on the webpage: "Understanding the VA Waiver and Retired Pay/CRDP/CRSC Adjustments."

Hello @Treadless Patriot

Ref:

COMMENTS:

1. VA Compensation is not taxable.
2. CRSC is not taxable
3. Residual retired pay and CRDP (CRDP is retired pay as well), may or may not be taxable; however, in most cases they are. That is the reason I provided the link to "Is it Taxable" so you could make a determination.
5. Why would I provide CRDP info? I did because your approved CRSC might not be as high as the longevity portion of retired pay. CRDP restores all the longevity portion of retired pay that was waived. CRSC has many limits. You might want to read the CRDP and CRSC material on the DFAS web page. And the link I provided earlier: Collection of CRSC information LINK <—-
6. The combination of residual retired pay and and CRDP cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay. CRSC has similar restrictions plus several others.

Ron
Thank you.

My CRSC amount would only be around $1200. That’s assuming I would have retired 31 Jul which is what was on my retirement orders prior to me being approved for the COAD; and I had applied for it. Being that if you do not stay till 20 you do not qualify for CRDP and only can apply for CRSC. Now that I am under the COAD I don’t know if the previous MEB stands or that’s why I have the option of going through another one.

If I don’t go through another MEB is my retirement considered regular. If I do go through it again is my retirement considered disability retirement? I don’t know. Trying to figure that out and my PEBLO/ Counsel seem to not know either.

Hi,

You just pointed out one of the differences between CRDP and CRSC.
Often the maximum CRSC is less than the payable CRDP.

I have received one or the other almost since the genesis of concurrent receipt. In some cases I would have lost money accepting CRSC.

Many of your questions about PEB etc., are foreign to me. I might be the only regular retirement person that hangs here. If not, there is only a handful.

@Provis and @chaplaincharlie might be able to help you with those esoteric matters.

Ron