CRDP

TomTom84

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I am being medically retired from the military with 16 years of service am I entitled to CRDP if I am receiving disability from the VA and placed on the PDRL? My Department Head and Divo keeps saying I am entitled to both and can't find any guidance that supports there comments.

Only if you are retiring under TERA.

Is this an option if I am being medically retired? I got my retirement package and it doesn't have this TERA as an option how do I initiate this option with Admin?

Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

—you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.

—you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)

—you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.

—you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
———-

2012-2025 Temporary Early Retirement Authority [not a right, one must apply and be approved]
Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) authorized members with over 15, but less than 20 years of total active duty service to apply for early retirement. The opportunity to retire under this TERA program is expected to end by December 31, 2025.

Eligibility
You must be eligible for retired pay to qualify for CRDP. If you were placed on a disability retirement, but would be eligible for military retired pay in the absence of the disability, you may be entitled to receive CRDP.

Under these rules, you may be entitled to CRDP if…

—you are a regular retiree with a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.

—you are a reserve retiree with 20 qualifying years of service, who has a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater and who has reached retirement age. (In most cases the retirement age for reservists is 60, but certain reserve retirees may be eligible before they turn 60. If you are a member of the Ready Reserve, your retirement age can be reduced below age 60 by three months for each 90 days of active service you have performed during a fiscal year.)

—you are retired under Temporary Early Retirement Act (TERA) and have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater.

—you are a disability retiree who earned entitlement to retired pay under any provision of law other than solely by disability, and you have a VA disability rating of 50 percent or greater. You might become eligible for CRDP at the time you would have become eligible for retired pay.
———-

2012-2025 Temporary Early Retirement Authority [not a right, one must apply and be approved]
Temporary Early Retirement Authority (TERA) authorized members with over 15, but less than 20 years of total active duty service to apply for early retirement. The opportunity to retire under this TERA program is expected to end by December 31, 2025.
TERA is no longer an option...FYI

Good point.

"However, some soldiers will still have opportunities after Jan. 15 [2018] to receive early retirement benefits through TERA. Soldiers still awaiting the results of pending 2017 promotion boards after Jan. 15 will have 30 calendar days following the promotion announcements to submit an early retirement request to their chain of command. Four officer promotion boards from fiscal year 2017 have not yet been announced, said Hank Minitrez, a spokesman for the Army's personnel office."

"All soldiers who are approved to retire through the TERA program must leave the service by Sept. 1 [2018], Army Secretary Esper wrote in the memo."

Stars and Stripes 28 Dec 2017