CRSC Presumptive Condition with Secondary Condition

chad74

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello All,

My question is if you have a presumptive condition such as Asthma with a secondary condition of sleep apnea, how does this impact CRSC as far as percentages? I was awarded asthma at 60 percent with secondary asthma at 50 percent. If the asthma is approved as a presumptive condition, CRSC says that "A non-presumptive condition that is secondary to a presumptive condition" will be approved. In this case, would you be awarded just 60 percent or would you also get an additional 50 percent separately for the secondary condition which in VA math would be 80 percent?

Thank you in advance.

Hello @chad74

In 2021, you mentioned you were a CH 61 disability retiree.

Your CRSC would be the lesser of:
--The amount associated with the CRSC percentage approved by your service, amount found in VA comp tables
OR
--The longevity portion of your retired pay which is: active-duty equivalent x 2.5% =longevity multiplier; average high three base pay x longevity multiplier = longevity portion of retired pay

I have diabetic neuropathy secondary to diabetes II. It was approved for VA comp and included in my CRSC. Your own CRSC is limited as I have shown in my second paragraph above.

Ron

The respiratory ratings are combined, so you wouldn't receive 2 ratings for asthma and sleep apnea. It would be the higher of the two evaluations assigned.

§ 4.96 Special provisions regarding evaluation of respiratory conditions.
Rating coexisting respiratory conditions. Ratings under diagnostic codes 6600 through 6817 and 6822 through 6847 will not be combined with each other.

6602 Asthma, bronchial:
6847 Sleep Apnea Syndromes (Obstructive, Central, Mixed)

§ 4.7 Higher of two evaluations.

Where there is a question as to which of two evaluations shall be applied, the higher evaluation will be assigned if the disability picture more nearly approximates the criteria required for that rating. Otherwise, the lower rating will be assigned.