Permanent Retirement w/20%

parmer

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Hi all. I finally got my package back from AFPC. I was given a permanent retirement with 20%. I was suprised. I really thought I would get a return to duty. I have been in 21 years and have a year left on my active duty service committment. Does anyone out there think I stand a chance of changing their minds if I go to the formal board?

Since you are eligible for length of service retirement you don’t really have anything to loose. However, if going to the FPEB or appealing their findings will give you another year of service or put you past the next pay raise (presuming we get one) then I generally recommend folks go for it.

If you want to argue for return to duty focus on the comments the IPEB noted at the bottom of your AF Form 356. They should in some way explain what they felt makes you unfit based on your office and rank. It at least gives you a place to start from.

If you want to argue for a higher rating look up your rating in the VASRD to see what’s required for the next level of ratings.

Good luck

It was based on the fact that I can only do administrative type duties. I guess that is the part that I don't understand. What I do is administrative. I'm in charge of my flight and I sit at a desk all day. I'm not arguing the rating, but I am unsure as to why I am being considered unfit when both my commander and the 3 doctors at our local board all agreed that I complete all of my jobs above and beyond what is required and they all recommended a return to duty. It's a hard decision to make in only 3 days and I'm not sure what the best thing to do is.

Not sure if it would be possible to bump it up to 60%. That is where you would start to gain anything. But as said before, it will let you stay in a bit longer (3 months?). So it's really up to you what you want.

X

PARMER,

Congrats on recieving your package and your rating. I have a question. How long was it from when you signed for your package and it was sent off to AFPC :confused:till you got your decision?

My package was sent off about 4.5 weeks ago and I can say I am really antsy. The PEBLO said to give it up to 90 days, but am just looking for a realistic idea. Thank you!

congrats again!:D

rodsgurl

Here is the general timeline that I had:

May 22 - put on profile/MEB initiated

20 June - Commander's letter completed

27 June - Narrative Summary completed

9 July - local board convened

10 July - package sent to AFPC (IPEB)

16 September - received results from IPEB - permanent retirement/20%

So about 4 months from start to finish.

Here is the general timeline that I had:

16 September - received results from IPEB - permanent retirement/20%

So about 4 months from start to finish.

:mad: Are you Air Force or Army or Some other Branch of Srevice

:mad: 16 September - received results from IPEB - permanent retirement/20%

You can appeal, you need AFI 36-3212 if you are Air Force, Also

DOD 1332.39 (DOD Regulation)

Call me and I will call you Back: (830)277 2058 (Howard)

File for reconsideration of Permanent Retirement w/20%

It was based on the fact that I can only do administrative type duties. I guess that is the part that I don't understand. What I do is administrative. I'm in charge of my flight and I sit at a desk all day. I'm not arguing the rating, but I am unsure as to why I am being considered unfit when both my commander and the 3 doctors at our local board all agreed that I complete all of my jobs above and beyond what is required and they all recommended a return to duty. It's a hard decision to make in only 3 days and I'm not sure what the best thing to do is.

:mad: Appeal the Decision, ask for 30% , and placement on TDRL, you can not be paid no less than 50 % of Base pay, and because is Medical Retirement your moner will not be Taxed.

This is the quick Fix, for the Lone ron we must read AR 635-40, ARI 36-3212

Call me The Peacemaker (Howard) (830)277-2058

you had an IPEB, now you are intital to a FPEB (Formal PEB)

You should non-concur with the finding and request a formal PEB. This will buy you time and get counsel assigned to you. After your counsel investigates your case s/he will then be able to advise you what is needed to get your rating changed. Once you have more information you can then make an informed decision and you won't be limited to 3 days to make your decision.

TR