G2theguy

Registered Member
So I have a quick question for anyone with knowledge on my unique situation. I haven’t seen anyone with a problem like this or speak on it so hopefully it can help a few members out.

I initially entered the Army through Army reserves in 2014. I ended up mobilizing to deploy in 2018 I was deployed for 18 months and got injured. Following that I was sent to Fort Hood to be in Wtu (warrior transition unit)/STU (Soldier readiness unit). So in hindsight I have been active for 3+ years and Just recently I’ve medically separated from the Army on October 29 with a severance pay that was combat related for $30,000 plus tax free. Plus a 50% VA disability I was told I wouldn’t have to pay back once I start receiving them monthly on Dec. 1st. I’m not expecting to have it this early but I would like to have a good sense of when I could be receiving it. I’ve heard everywhere from 15 days to 90 days and in some case even longer. I was also told I maybe have to contact my reserves unit and I haven’t been in contact with them for almost 2 years. If anyone has ever been in reserves than you know those aren’t usually the most dependable people at times. So do I just sit back and wait for my severance or will I need to contact someone at my unit? And again how long should it be before I receive my severance?

Hello @G2theguy

I understand your concern; however, if I have interpreted your situation correctly, it does not appear to be unique. There are many who have been curious about how long it will take to receive their disability severance pay. I have read of several receiving it within 30 days. If you use the SEARCH feature at the upper right of your screen (this board) and use "severance pay" as the search terms, you should have a menu that includes discussions about "when."

I don't see how your old reserve unit fits into this as I was not a reservist or NG.

I am going to review another page and return in about 10 minutes.

Ron

@G2theguy

You can contact the following for additional info (hopefully):
JBSA PEB Address/Directions/Contact Info:

Physical and Mailing Address:
JBSA Physical Evaluation Board
1835 Army Blvd.
Building 2000
Fort Sam Houston, TX 78234

Phone number for general assistance and inquiries: Commercial: (210) 808-6053, DSN: 420-6053
========================

Here is a link to a DFAS discussion about Severance Pay: DoD Disability Severance Pay <---LINK

Army PEB link: HRC Homepage <---LINK

---------------------------------------------------

Ron

Here is a case where the severance pay was disbursed in ~30 days it seems.

Severance Pay at 0% <---LINK

Ron

I finished my 22 year career out of the reserves and they would not have any visibility on your severance. I would recommend contacting that element that initiated paperwork for said severance and maybe DFAS.