Fibromyalgia Diagnosis – Feb 2022

DAWG – June 2022

PCS -July 2022

DAWG at New Base – Sep 2022

IRILO– Oct 2022

AFPC MEB -Nov 2022

Recommendation: Returned to Duty, No Restrictions– Dec 2022

IRILO – est June 2023

Good Day all, I have what I feel is a very unique situation and I was wondering if someone could provide some sort of clarity/ “guestimation” on what will happen with me and my case. I am content with my service ending but having some idea of what will happen and when would be so helpful. I’ve read a lot of other stories on lupus and autoimmune disorders on this forum and I cannot find one that is similar to mine.

The short version of a very long story is that at the end of 2021 I experienced a medical incident that led to me being diagnosed with Lupus, CKD stage 2 and Fibromyalgia. In the spring of 2022, I was notified by my doctor at my previous base that I was most likely going to be medically separated or retired due to the severity of my issues. However, I was still allowed to PCS to my current duty station, and I’ve been here for almost a year. My current PCM is phenomenal, and she is trying to do the best for me and for my quality of life. The liaison submitted my initial package, and I was returned to duty without limitation in Dec 22.

For more context on why I believe I was retained, I am in a one-deep position that does not deploy and my leadership supported me to be returned to duty with limitations or with continuous care so I could potentially complete my service commitment which ends Jul 24. In regard to my medical situation, SLE and fibro do affect my ability to PT and complete my daily duties some weeks. I have chronic nerve pain and experience a lupus flare almost every month. However, AFPC returned me to duty without limitation.

My PCM informed me that she will submit another IRILO because of my sleep issues (no sleep apnea). She told me that the DAWG is pushing her for updates on my medical situation. She said this will trigger an update on my entire case, and the process to MEB will start again. She said she will submit my package in late June.

Would anyone be able to assist me in giving me an idea of what could happen with my medical separation/ retirement, a timeline, or any way they believe I should proceed based on the information I’ve provided above? At this point, I would like to move on from the Air Force and move into a civilian career that is better on my body.

TLDR: SLE, Fibro, CKD2 diagnoses, returned to AD w/o limitation. Looking for clarity on what may happen after the impending IRILO.

Full Timeline to June 23

Initial Medical Incident - Aug 2021

CKD Diagnosis – Nov 2021

Lupus Diagnosis – Dec 2021

Fibromyalgia Diagnosis – Feb 2022

DAWG – June 2022

PCS -July 2022

DAWG at New Base – Sep 2022

IRILO– Oct 2022

AFPC MEB -Nov 2022

Recommendation: Returned to Duty, No Restrictions– Dec 2022

IRILO – est June 2023

Good Day all, I have what I feel is a very unique situation and I was wondering if someone could provide some sort of clarity/ “guestimation” on what will happen with me and my case. I am content with my service ending but having some idea of what will happen and when would be so helpful. I’ve read a lot of other stories on lupus and autoimmune disorders on this forum and I cannot find one that is similar to mine.

The short version of a very long story is that at the end of 2021 I experienced a medical incident that led to me being diagnosed with Lupus, CKD stage 2 and Fibromyalgia. In the spring of 2022, I was notified by my doctor at my previous base that I was most likely going to be medically separated or retired due to the severity of my issues. However, I was still allowed to PCS to my current duty station, and I’ve been here for almost a year. My current PCM is phenomenal, and she is trying to do the best for me and for my quality of life. The liaison submitted my initial package, and I was returned to duty without limitation in Dec 22.

For more context on why I believe I was retained, I am in a one-deep position that does not deploy and my leadership supported me to be returned to duty with limitations or with continuous care so I could potentially complete my service commitment which ends Jul 24. In regard to my medical situation, SLE and fibro do affect my ability to PT and complete my daily duties some weeks. I have chronic nerve pain and experience a lupus flare almost every month. However, AFPC returned me to duty without limitation.

My PCM informed me that she will submit another IRILO because of my sleep issues (no sleep apnea). She told me that the DAWG is pushing her for updates on my medical situation. She said this will trigger an update on my entire case, and the process to MEB will start again. She said she will submit my package in late June.

Would anyone be able to assist me in giving me an idea of what could happen with my medical separation/ retirement, a timeline, or any way they believe I should proceed based on the information I’ve provided above? At this point, I would like to move on from the Air Force and move into a civilian career that is better on my body.

TLDR: SLE, Fibro, CKD2 diagnoses, returned to AD w/o limitation. Looking for clarity on what may happen after the impending IRILO.
What was your outcome on this? Did you ever get medically retired? I'm just curious.

What was your outcome on this? Did you ever get medically retired? I'm just curious.
So I am about at the midpoint for the 2nd MEB.

I've completed all my exams and am waiting for my NARSUM.

I had 32 claims, 6 exams and VES took a month to turn everything around.

Please keep your fingers crossed for me.

@stitchystitch

If you want to get an idea of the wide swath the AF - all the military departments, actually - have to retain Service members with medical issues, take a quick peak at DoDI 1332.45 "RETENTION DETERMINATIONS FOR NON-DEPLOYABLE SERVICE MEMBERS": https://www.esd.whs.mil/Portals/54/Documents/DD/issuances/dodi/133245p.pdf?ver=jTuMIZOP28fE2Tb8HbrXSg==

I know this doesn't answer any prodedural or legal questions you may have, but it will give you some insight into the "how" behind your case.

S/f,

Joel