Social Security!

I didn't know which forum to place this in.

I keep reading about how people should apply for social security on here. Why? Why would I do this?

I'm getting MEB for combat related hearing loss and I am getting seen for PTSD, sleep insomnia, and knee issues.

Please post any Social Security questions and information here. Thanks!

sounds like you plan on working with all your conditions after your out of service thats great but if you can not, you can apply for SS you payed for it through your job, or you can wait till your 68 to each thier own its an individual thing

You would do it if you are unable to retain gainfull employment.

social security is also when you are unable to engage in gainful employment or have had multiple failed attempts @ gainful employment. in my case i had multiple conditions, but the back injury was what was affecting my ability to partake in gainful employment. and i had numerous failed attempts @ going back to work (ie: surgery, conv leave, light duty, surgery, conv. leave, light duty, etc...) i was injured in the air nat. guard, and was unable to return to my civ. job. (fed LE), so in certain cases, that's how SS can apply. keep in mind, you can still work while receiving SS. there are certain restriction. that's why i got a SS lawyer. hope this helps clear things up.

Hi robs42,
how long did it take your ssdi case? did you have to see an ALJ? was your back injury the only condition for the ssdi award?

thanks

i origionally applied in 2007. it took about 2 years just to get to the ALJ. i applied, was denyed, appealed, denyed again, got a lawyer in in august 2009 was scheduled fpr a hearing 1 month later. they give you like 90 days from the time you are awarded your hearing, until the time you actually have it. yes, they addressed all of my conditions. if you have any questions or concerns just shoot me an e-mail and i can go into it more indepth.

The SSA website has a lot of great information on SSDI and you can apply online. Servicemembers are supposed to receive expidited processing. You may appy and receive SSDI even if you are still receiving an active duty pay check, though you will have to show that you are not engaging in gainful employment. If you are assigned to a WTU, this is not difficult to show. SSA uses a different standard for disability than the VA- you have to show there is no job in the national economy that you are capable of performing because of your disability. There are certain disabilities that are presumed to be so severe that they are disabiling. These are listed. If you search the SSA website for adult listings, you can see if you meet a listing. If so, benefits are usually approved fairly quickly. If not, then the process takes a lot longer. I used to do a lot of Social Security work and my average client waited two years for a hearing. The priority processing given to Wounded Warriors is another good reason to apply now- though I'm not sure what the average wait time is for a hearing for these priority cases. You can have a closed period of disability, which means that if you get better or are now better, your disability benefits would end and be only for the period that you were disabled under Social Security guidelines. You have paid in to the Social Security Program every year that you have worked. If you are no longer able to perform any work, your SSDI benefits can help supplement what you get from VA and DOD

Hi all,

It's been a few weeks since I have been able to get online, I went home on leave, got engaged then got unengaged and broke up with my boyfriend all together, so my depression has been pretty severe....

anyhow amazingly with social security I filed my claim in March as soon as I recieved my IPEB findings 30% TDRL and it just got approved last week. I will recieve $881 dollars a month which doesn't kick in until October 2010. I can't believe it happened so fast and so easy the first go around. So I will get my TDRL plus S.S. and I will be able to try and go to college if my bipolar doesn't get in the way. I am so relieved. I only have three weeks left until I am home for good. Hopefully my ex-fiance will at least talk to me by then as he won't return my calls right now :*(

Hi all,

It's been a few weeks since I have been able to get online, I went home on leave, got engaged then got unengaged and broke up with my boyfriend all together, so my depression has been pretty severe....

anyhow amazingly with social security I filed my claim in March as soon as I recieved my IPEB findings 30% TDRL and it just got approved last week. I will recieve $881 dollars a month which doesn't kick in until October 2010. I can't believe it happened so fast and so easy the first go around. So I will get my TDRL plus S.S. and I will be able to try and go to college if my bipolar doesn't get in the way. I am so relieved. I only have three weeks left until I am home for good. Hopefully my ex-fiance will at least talk to me by then as he won't return my calls right now :*(

I was wondering how you received SS I received the same results yesterday so I called the SS office and was told that unless I'll be out of work for at least a year I'm not qualfied. Or if my Dr states I can't go back to work any help would be great!