TDRL PAY...PLEASE HELP ME!!

markinoa1

PEB Forum Regular Member
Greetings,
I have been on the TDRL for 3 months the payment that I receive from the Army is $1295, I recently got my VA rating back even though its not complete yet I still have PTSD rating to be completed but so far I was rated 40% without my PTSD. Few days ago I received my retired Army retirement LES and I noticed that my TDRL pay was reduced in almost half from $1295 to $685 all I see on my LES is “VA Waiver”
My question is why my TDRL pay was reduced to $685? Is the VA going to cover the remaining amount to make it $1295? Thank you much!!

Generally, you cannot receive both military and VA compensation at the same time. So, they offset your DoD compensation by the amount of your VA compensation. However, with PTSD (so long as the stressful event was combat-related), you are going to be eligible for Combat Related Special Compensation. You have to apply for this, though. Also, if you were not awarded a 50% rating for PTSD (assuming that you were found unfit for this from the military) you should have been. That is under 38 CFR Section 4.129.

Best of luck and please let us know any questions.

one more question....it was mentioned that the VA will send me what they take in the VA Waiver, and I will get it tax free.. now, when will I be getting the remaining amount to make it $1295? so far I'm still receiving half of .. when my claim is completed? ..because as of now I'm still waiting for my PTSD rating to be finalized....also is the VA Pay going through DFAS?

You should receive separate payments. I receive my military (TDRL) direct deposit on the 1st of each month. I also receive my VA compensation by direct deposit on the 1st of each month. The VA requests your direct deposit information when you file your VA claim form 21-526. When the VA awarded you they should sent you a written document describing the award claim, the amount and the effective date of payment. I think it took the VA one month to get my payment into their system

Once the VA finalizes your claim you can elect to have them pay you. I did this and my DFAS checks stopped. I was told the benefit of the VA paying was that it was tax free.

i'M ASSUMMING YOUR VA RATING WAS 60% OR MORE RIGHT?

uote=hebert0911;16758]Once the VA finalizes your claim you can elect to have them pay you. I did this and my DFAS checks stopped. I was told the benefit of the VA paying was that it was tax free.[/quote]

THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY WHAT WAS YOUR TDRL PERCENTAGE?

You should receive separate payments. I receive my military (TDRL) direct deposit on the 1st of each month. I also receive my VA compensation by direct deposit on the 1st of each month. The VA requests your direct deposit information when you file your VA claim form 21-526. When the VA awarded you they should sent you a written document describing the award claim, the amount and the effective date of payment. I think it took the VA one month to get my payment into their system

Markinoa1,

My combined PEB rating was 40%. However when placed on TDRL you receive either a minimum of 50% of your actual rating percentage if it exceeds 50%. This rating is applied to your base pay. If your military disability pay is more than the VA compensation, as in your case, the best option is to waive that portion of your militay pay that equals the VA comp. If aor when you move to the PDRL your military disability pay is the actual percentage the PEB grants, remembering that you must rated at least 30% to be placed on either TDRL or PDRL. The CRDP is an entirely different issue that DFAS will calculate if your VA rating (not military) exceeds 50%. Confusing for sure. I can tell you that when the VA finalized my rating the communicated directly with DFAS very quickly to get the waiver in place.

D

fdmckeever,
when the VA finalized your rating they communicated directly with DFAS very quickly to get the waiver in place and then you received 50% of your pay from the VA and the other 50% from the military to make what you were getting initially when you were placed on TDRL right?

Thank you so much for your reply.

Markinoa1,

My combined PEB rating was 40%. However when placed on TDRL you receive either a minimum of 50% of your actual rating percentage if it exceeds 50%. This rating is applied to your base pay. If your military disability pay is more than the VA compensation, as in your case, the best option is to waive that portion of your militay pay that equals the VA comp. If aor when you move to the PDRL your military disability pay is the actual percentage the PEB grants, remembering that you must rated at least 30% to be placed on either TDRL or PDRL. The CRDP is an entirely different issue that DFAS will calculate if your VA rating (not military) exceeds 50%. Confusing for sure. I can tell you that when the VA finalized my rating the communicated directly with DFAS very quickly to get the waiver in place.

D

markinoa1,

In my case what happens is that the VA notifies DFAS that I will receive $1006.00 in disability benefits. DFAS deducts this $1006.00 from my TDRL retired pay. Lets say my retired pay is 2500.00. Then I net from DFAS 2500.00 less 1006.00, less FED witholding tax and less survivor benefit premium. The VA then sends me a direct deposit 1006.00. So the bottom line is that I receive no more than what my TDRL retirement would be (2500). The percentages don't matter unless you are rated by MEB above 50% disabled and you qualify at VA for CRDP. The compensation tracks are separate in order to avoid paying a disabled military person twice for the same disability. This idea sucks because if you retire from the military ona regualar retirement you can double dip. Since your military disability retirement is subject to FED tax, this exercise takes 1006 taxable dollars out of my military disabled pay benefit and puts it in the VA non taxable income area. DFAS should be sending 1200 less 610 less FED tax and any survivor insuranced premiums if u are enrolled. The VA will send 610. I hope this helps and if DFAS is not paying any disability then something is not of order since I don't b elieve you would waive receipt of all military pay. Send me a PM if you still have questons.

D