Traditional Reservist Medically Retired to TDRL, SC 70% unfitting, eligible for pay immediately?

Nadeioval

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I was recently medically retired from the AF Reserves early this month. After 13 years drilling combined with my prior 7 serving on active duty, I have 20 good years. My unfitting condition was rated at 70% and based upon prior service for my preceding years on active duty. I believe I am not eligible to receive any type of retirement pay (not VA Disability Compensation) until I am 60 (or earlier based upon Reduced Eligibility for Reserve Retirement Pay=58 for my 7 years Active Duty time).
Can someone please confirm or dispell this? Thank you.

I was recently medically retired from the AF Reserves early this month. After 13 years drilling combined with my prior 7 serving on active duty, I have 20 good years. My unfitting condition was rated at 70% and based upon prior service for my preceding years on active duty. I believe I am not eligible to receive any type of retirement pay (not VA Disability Compensation) until I am 60 (or earlier based upon Reduced Eligibility for Reserve Retirement Pay=58 for my 7 years Active Duty time).
Can someone please confirm or dispell this? Thank you.
Hello @Nadeioval ,

Based on the info you provided, you are eligible for DoD disability retirement now.

If you are retired (not just separated), your retired pay will likely be the approved DoD disability percentage X average high three base pay. It will be reduced by the amount of your VA compsensation. You are not eligible for Concurrent Receipt (formerly CRDP) until you have an approved RC retirement at age 60 or so.

Ron

Edited to add: I am surprised your retirement situation was not discussed with you pre-retirement.

Hello @Nadeioval ,

Based on the info you provided, you are eligible for DoD disability retirement now.

If you are retired (not just separated), your retired pay will likely be the approved DoD disability percentage X average high three base pay. It will be reduced by the amount of your VA compsensation. You are not eligible for Concurrent Receipt (formerly CRDP) until you have an approved RC retirement at age 60 or so.

Ron

Edited to add: I am surprised your retirement situation was not discussed with you pre-retirement.
Thank you. Reserves sometimes is not so great or confident with this stuff.

I will be a full offset but I'm planning on trying for CRSC. Is there somewhere I can go to confirm things have processed and the pay is showing prior to my crsc application.

Hello ,

Good plan. Your retired pay account must be established by DFAS before your CRSC board will accept your CRSC application.

You can use DFAS MyPay to see your account once it is established. You can also call DFAS Retired Pay to determine if your account is active (good luck).

Ron