Was just told it will be 1-2 months to be assigned a PEBLO.

TortolliniShell

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Army Reserve Medical Command just took 1+ month to give me profiles, 3 months to do IDRMs and they just told me to expect no calls for at least 1-2 months because "the holidays"....and to call back if I don't get notified by mid January 2024....

That's 6 months to start the IDES.

I started this process mid June 2023. I haven't even begun IDES. On active duty, I'd be waiting on discharge orders

Anyone else think this is crazy?

Where's the accountability to the Army or the Soldiers?

Last edited:
I was referred in April, and I was contacted by the PEBLO on 12 October. I know VA claims is severely backed up, but I have no idea how backed up the reserve component IDES is.

I completed my end of the paperwork within a week of referral, so basically six months for my packet to go from my MTF to Atterburry and to the PEBLO.

Sounds like we are on a similar timeline. I encourage any other RC members who are on a similar timeline to post on this thread. Knowing others are on a similar timeline won't make it less frustrating, but at least you know you aren't an outlier.

For anyone reading this in the future, there's really no reason why entry into Reserve Component IDES should take 6+ months. I've done a lot of digging to find the culprit and it's resoundingly a lack of oversight and drive from the higher-ups (DoD and GS) and the fact that these IDES processing roles are all now contract based. (This was from a person working at the ARMMC). There is no motivation to get you through this process. It's like folks who work at the DMV, they get paid by the hour, not by volume completed, so they aren't motivated to be fast. They're motivated to do 8 hrs. In their eyes "It'll take as long as it takes". Surprisingly, the VA has more motivation and are quicker. They have quotas to meet. They can get your VA claims processed and rated in 6 months whereas the RC IDES MTFs can barely get you started in the same timeframe.

I recommend that anyone else finding themselves in this position to call as often as possible to their case manager and to escalate to congressional inquiries if warranted. There is no one who cares as much as you do about your career, your future and the undue stress this IDES process is putting on you. Hoping the best on your situation.

National Guard component here. Elected to go before the PEB in the beginning of Nov and they are still putting together my packet. At what point in the process are we supposed to be assigned a PEBLO? Is this something that I need to be talking to my case manager at the state level, about? My case manager from the state level said that I will not need to be in contact with her any longer and that any medical information and documentation will be sent to the board if they request it.

National Guard component here. Elected to go before the PEB in the beginning of Nov and they are still putting together my packet. At what point in the process are we supposed to be assigned a PEBLO? Is this something that I need to be talking to my case manager at the state level, about? My case manager from the state level said that I will not need to be in contact with her any longer and that any medical information and documentation will be sent to the board if they request it.
The process is a bit different for every Reserve Component as well. Generally:

1. P3 profile granted
2. Medical Decision Readiness Point
3. Pre-Ides packet gathering
4. IDES starts --> peblo, VA MSC, JAG assigned
5. MEB --> Narsum (output)
6. PEB --> 199 (output)
7. VA ratings
8. Retirement

If it were me, and I wasn't contacted by the peblo in 2 weeks, I'd follow up with your state manager, every two weeks until I was contacted. The more involvement you have the more likely you'll be taken care of.

For anyone reading this in the future, there's really no reason why entry into Reserve Component IDES should take 6+ months. I've done a lot of digging to find the culprit and it's resoundingly a lack of oversight and drive from the higher-ups (DoD and GS) and the fact that these IDES processing roles are all now contract based. (This was from a person working at the ARMMC). There is no motivation to get you through this process. It's like folks who work at the DMV, they get paid by the hour, not by volume completed, so they aren't motivated to be fast. They're motivated to do 8 hrs. In their eyes "It'll take as long as it takes". Surprisingly, the VA has more motivation and are quicker. They have quotas to meet. They can get your VA claims processed and rated in 6 months whereas the RC IDES MTFs can barely get you started in the same timeframe.

I recommend that anyone else finding themselves in this position to call as often as possible to their case manager and to escalate to congressional inquiries if warranted. There is no one who cares as much as you do about your career, your future and the undue stress this IDES process is putting on you. Hoping the best on your situation.
If anyone is in doubt about this please read the post found here on Pebforums.
Camp Atterbury IN Issues/Concerns/Recommendations

I agree we still get crapped on due to being reserves. I am going through Atterbury.