Found FIT for Narcolepsy with Cataplexy.

Tired Sailor

Registered Member
I am active duty Navy and I was found FIT by the MED board for narcolepsy with cataplexy. I thought this decision seemed wrong, because I take Xyrem and Adderall. I am a Fire Controlman so, we have a very sea duty heavy rate and my medicine keeps me from being on sea duty. The JAG I spoke to about told me to send as much information as I could and a personal statement.

I sent my personal statement detailing my rate and duties on the ship as well as information about why I wouldn't be able to take my medicine on the ship. I also included the Navy instruction detailing the sea-shore rotation for my rate and prescribing information for my medicine. Two weeks later, I received a notice that they weren't going to hear my appeal and that I am FIT.

I have a short period of time left in my enlistment. I was previously denied re-enlistment at my re-enlistment physical, and I don't have a C-Way because of it. I don't want to stay in at this point, I just want to continue receiving my medication. I am filing a VA claim before I get out, but I know they can take months to process. I heard about the 180 days of Tricare, but after reading the site I don't know if I will be eligible.

So I have two questions:

Is there any sort of way my FIT finding will changed, so I am no longer part of the inactive reserves?

Is there anything I can do between now and when my VA claim is processed to continue getting my prescriptions, without having to pay the full amount?

Yes, I requested a formal board after my FIT finding. That is when I sent my personal statement along with the other information.

Good job, a had to appeal to, and came back unfit, keep fighting don't give in.

The Navy should not be denying reenlist based on a condition found to be fit but if you do not desire to stay in that issue might be moot. Your next likely step could be with the Board for the Correction of Naval Records.

Mike

I am in the same boat as you, only i am ET. currently the found me fit as they felt i had not recieved "optimal level of treatment". So i have an appointment at Walter Reed Medical Facility for true specalist examine me and give their 2 cents, and hopefully the decide to send me back to MEB. When you got your finding of FIT back your PEBLO should have given you their reasoning why they chose the findings they did, from there you can also request counsel with a PEB/disablity JAG which is what i have also, who recommended me to go to Walter Reed for additional examinations.

ps. i also do not have much time left on enlistment, as of this NOV i will BE HYT and because of my narcolepsy i went to mast and recieved an SP eval and could not take the exam this last cycle, so i know exactly how you feel.

ZzzSailor,

Can you share the personal statement you wrote for your Formal board? [email protected]

I am active duty Navy and I was found FIT by the MED board for narcolepsy with cataplexy. I thought this decision seemed wrong, because I take Xyrem and Adderall. I am a Fire Controlman so, we have a very sea duty heavy rate and my medicine keeps me from being on sea duty. The JAG I spoke to about told me to send as much information as I could and a personal statement.

I sent my personal statement detailing my rate and duties on the ship as well as information about why I wouldn't be able to take my medicine on the ship. I also included the Navy instruction detailing the sea-shore rotation for my rate and prescribing information for my medicine. Two weeks later, I received a notice that they weren't going to hear my appeal and that I am FIT.

I have a short period of time left in my enlistment. I was previously denied re-enlistment at my re-enlistment physical, and I don't have a C-Way because of it. I don't want to stay in at this point, I just want to continue receiving my medication. I am filing a VA claim before I get out, but I know they can take months to process. I heard about the 180 days of Tricare, but after reading the site I don't know if I will be eligible.

So I have two questions:

Is there any sort of way my FIT finding will changed, so I am no longer part of the inactive reserves?

Is there anything I can do between now and when my VA claim is processed to continue getting my prescriptions, without having to pay the full amount?