MARADMIN 229/17 No more MEDHOLD?

smiller461

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Can someone with alittle bit more knowledge with the whole process clarify the new MARADMIN that was released yesterday for the Marine Corps? To me MARADMIN 229/17 states that all consenting Marines now have the choice to be placed on Medhold passed your actual EAS date now. States that effective now, it is voluntary vice involuntary?

Can someone with alittle bit more knowledge with the whole process clarify the new MARADMIN that was released yesterday for the Marine Corps? To me MARADMIN 229/17 states that all consenting Marines now have the choice to be placed on Medhold passed your actual EAS date now. States that effective now, it is voluntary vice involuntary?
I have been waiting for this to come out. Basically the way you are processed for extension due to medical issues has been changed. They are no longer placing you in a "convince of government med hold". In the past your EAS would just be pushed out if you were about to get out and we're put on a med board that would go past your EAS. Now if you are in this situation you need to file for an extension. Normally the extension would be a NAVMC 321A done up by your career planner. That is not the case now. Your command LIMDU coordinator works up the form. Also the form is a 321M (basically same form but specific for medical issues). Your commanding officer signs off on this after LIMDU coordinator. This form then gets routed through IPAC up to MMSR 4 and takes effect on the day after your current EAS date.
One good thing this does for us since it's "voluntary" is we should be able to sell back annual leave just the same as if you reenlisted or separated.
I just went through this process to extend last week and tried to argue the fact that this should be considered voluntary and was denied the ability to sell back leave. I seen this MARADMIN today and I will be going to IPAC with a copy in hand tomorrow morning.
I don't know about y'all but all of the related expenses due to my injuries and just my personal situation right now has caused financial hardships. I am also worried that after I receive an answer from the med board, my command is so slow to act on paperwork, I might somehow get stuck due to having so much leave on the books.

The required form can be found here, in case your career planner is in the office about 2 hours a day or less.

https://navalforms.documentservices.dla.mil/formsDir/_NAVMC_321M_15675.pdf

Pro: At least this doesn't require getting a letter from the commander every 2-3 months for a new CAC ID, since your EAS/ECC dates will change in DEERS.

Con: Paragraph 6 is concerning, giving commanders the "VA will help you" auto-default answer as an option.

"6. Physicians and Commanding Officers must use discretion in medical retention beyond contractual obligation as Marines are not necessarily required to be fit for full duty beyond that date. A Marine’s health and wellbeing, determination of deferrable or elective medical treatment, prognosis for recovery, possible processing for disability through the DES, and medical treatment
available after separation through the Department of Veterans Affairs are factors for consideration. See reference (d), article 18-25."

One good thing this does for us since it's "voluntary" is we should be able to sell back annual leave just the same as if you reenlisted or separated.
Extensions while in a MEB have always been voluntary. I have Soldiers refuse to do them. Ultimately their choice, the MEB process gets some people super frustrated.

You can only sell leave when separated. Reenlistment comes with a discharge then a new contract, which is why you have the option then. You will have the option to sell leave at ETS after the MEB is done. You can sell a max of 60 days over your entire career (I lost about 12 days I was not able to take/sell). Sold leave is only base pay, taking leave is better as BAS and BAH are added on.

When doing a reenlistment, the Career Counselor must first qualify you to be discharged. That is why you can't reenlist a Soldier in a MEB, because the Career Counselor doesn't have the authority to discharge you.

You can only sell leave when separated.

I would have to disagree with that.
DODFMR Vol 7A chapter 35:
3502 ACCRUED LEAVE PAY
350201. General Entitlement
A. A member who is discharged or separated under honorable conditions is
entitled to payment of unused accrued leave unless the member continues on active duty under
conditions that require accrued leave to be carried forward, or in the case of a Reserve
Component member, the member elects to have the leave carried forward to the member’s next
period of active service. An enlisted member who voluntarily extends their enlistment for the
first time is also entitled to payment for unused accrued leave.

I walked into IPAC yesterday with a copy of this new MARADMIN and was able to start the paperwork to sell back some leave