Navy TDRL PPE question

WestCoastSailor2790

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Hello everyone,

I have been TDRL since September of 2017 for heart failure(100%VA/DoD). The board said I was "unstable" at the time, so I was given TDRL. I was never contacted for a PPE, so on my two-year retirement mark, I called Millington, and they basically said that they'd forgotten about me, but they would "put me at the top of the list" and I would be getting something in the mail in a few weeks. Well, about a week ago, I called again and got told the same spiel. So here's my question: I've just been offered a DoD job OCONUS, but it wouldn't start for about 2 months. I haven't worked since I retired, so I'm wondering if this would hurt my chances of being made PDRL and also which MTF I would be sent to instead. Thanks for any input in advance!

Heart failures is usually rate by METS. Under most circumstances, a personal able to work has a METS rating that would not justify a 100% VA rating.

Heart failures is usually rate by METS. Under most circumstances, a personal able to work has a METS rating that would not justify a 100% VA rating.

My METS rating is very low. The most strenuous activity that I can do is go up about half a flight of stairs at a time. That said, the work would be completely sedentary in nature. I've been seeing the VA for over two years and I've been rated at 100% since my original med board. Thanks.

Are you T&P with the VA?

If not T&P then it's very risky to work if not service connected for at least five years one favorable exam and you can be reduced and with you still being on TDRL I consider that a risk too.

If not T&P then it's very risky to work if not service connected for at least five years one favorable exam and you can be reduced and with you still being on TDRL I consider that a risk too.

I see. I was under the impression that in order to be T&P you had to be less than 100%, and you request them to rate you at 100%. I also thought if you were T&P, that's when you're not allowed to work. It's been over three years since my C&P exam so sorry if my recollections are wrong.

Total and Permanent = 100% (the total) and P (permanent)

A veteran rated 100% can work without penalty except that for certain ratings (e.g., PTSD), that might be considered an improvement in condition.

Individual Unemployability = rated less than 100% but paid at the 100% rate. Allowed only marginal employment.

--->General info for IU vs. 100% LINK

"…marginal employment generally shall be deemed to exist when a veteran’s earned annual income does not exceed the amount established by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, as the poverty threshold for one person."

Ron

Total and Permanent = 100% (the total) and P (permanent)

A veteran rated 100% can work without penalty except that for certain ratings (e.g., PTSD), that might be considered an improvement in condition.

Individual Unemployability = rated less than 100% but paid at the 100% rate. Allowed only marginal employment.

--->General info for IU vs. 100% LINK

"…marginal employment generally shall be deemed to exist when a veteran’s earned annual income does not exceed the amount established by the U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of the Census, as the poverty threshold for one person."

Ron

Ron,

Thank you for the information. Luckily I do not have PTSD or any mental health issues. I checked my benefit letter, and while I am 100% (100 for the heart and 60% for the rest), it says "no" for the P&T question. I also am not IU. I guess mainly my question was about how being OCONUS would effect getting my TDRL medical exam done. I've been seeing the VA for 2+ years now, and my health has pretty much stayed the same the whole time. No better, no worse.

Any rating can be permanent. Obviously to be Total you have to be 100%.

Most often METS are estimated by the examiner. A full time job may affect the judgement of the examiner, even though it is sedentary work. If you worked from home that judgment might be less prejudicial.

Any rating can be permanent. Obviously to be Total you have to be 100%.

Most often METS are estimated by the examiner. A full time job may affect the judgement of the examiner, even though it is sedentary work. If you worked from home that judgment might be less prejudicial.

I'm currently 100%, but my benefit letter says it's not permanent and that I will have future appointments. My METS level is less than three to cause fatigue and dizziness. Thank you for the information.