Army Timeline CRSC

Irishman1836

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
1. Since you mentioned 1050 CRSC, I infer DFAS gave you that figure (i.e., you did not take it from a VA compensation chart).

2. Many retroactive payments are made 2-3 months after the first monthly payment. Some are earlier; some take longer.

3. Ball park figure? Multiply 1050 x number of months in the retro period (using the effective date). It will be less than that because of COLA increases most years, but it should be a “ball park figure.”

Ron

thank you for the quick reply. Yes the 1050 is the amount of CRSC shown on my CRSC pay statement. I was just curious since my VA rating changed over the past years from 80 to 100. Didn't know if that made a difference. Sorry if I seem confused...

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
That depends on several things.

A. The CRSC for a CH 61 retiree with less than 20 years AD is the lesser of
—the service approved percentage for CRSC. The amount is found in the VA comp tables.
Or
—Dollar amount of the longevity portion of retirement pay
Note: residual (left over) retired pay from VA offset reduces amount of CRSC

B. The amount of VA offset would have been different for periods where the rates changes. That reduces the amount of retired pay waived during certain periods, and could change the residual retired pay factor.

Comment: I usually provide an estimate for one month of CRSC based on data provided. DFAS has given you the current rate.

Ron

k9vet

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
I talked to HRC and below is my timeline:

Retired June 2014
Applied for CRSC - April 2018
HRC received my packet and started processing - May 4th 2018
Approval letter dated - 11/27/2018 with 2 different percentages (10% July 14-July 17, and 70% July 17 to present)
First Payment received - 1/1/2019
Audit started at DFAS - 1/7/2019
DFAS sent my packet back to HRC to confirm my eligibility dates - unknown date
New HRC approval - 3/6/2019 with 70% approved from July 2014 to present
Audit restarted
Audit Completed - 3/19/19

When I spoke with the rep this morning he was able to give me an approximate amount I should be expecting and told me most of it would be coming from DFAS with a little bit coming from the VA. He did ask some basic questions about my timeline and told me that because mine has taken so long it's close to being flagged in their system. According to him they have a system in place to flag individuals files that exceed the 90-120 window. I know mine is quite there yet but it may be comforting for those in that situation to know. He wasn't able to give me an idea as when I might be paid but did say I should know something in a few weeks.

I know that my time line isn't as bad as some others on here but I it's still be a frustrating experience. I've never been told the same thing from one rep to the other in all the times I called. I will admit I was calling about every week and until today I was never given much information. It seems like they don't all take the time to actually check on the status when I called and loved to tell me it's still processing and it can take 90-120 days. For me personally I didn't care as much about when I would get the money as much as I wanted to be informed of where my application actually was. I'm looking forward to this being done shortly so I can move on. I hope this information is helpful to anyone else looking for answers.

Irishman1836

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member

Retired June 2014
Approval letter dated - 11/27/2018 with 2 different percentages (10% July 14-July 17, and 70% July 17 to present)
Audit restarted

When I spoke with the rep this morning he was able to give me an approximate amount I should be expecting and told me most of it would be coming from DFAS with a little bit coming from the VA. He did ask some basic questions about my timeline and told me that because mine has taken so long it's close to being flagged in their system. According to him they have a system in place to flag individuals files that exceed the 90-120 window. I know mine is quite there yet but it may be comforting for those in that situation to know. He wasn't able to give me an idea as when I might be paid but did say I should know something in a few weeks.

I know that my time line isn't as bad as some others on here but I it's still be a frustrating experience. I've never been told the same thing from one rep to the other in all the times I called. I will admit I was calling about every week and until today I was never given much information. It seems like they don't all take the time to actually check on the status when I called an

Retired June 2014
Audit restarted

I know that my time line isn't as bad as some others on here but I it's still be a frustrating experience. I've never been told the same thing from one rep to the other in all the times I called. I will admit I was calling about every week and until today I was never given much information. It seems like they don't all take the time to actually check on the status when I called and loved to tell me it's still processing and it can take 90-120 days. For me personally I didn't care as much about when I would get the money as much as I wanted to be informed of where my application actually was. I'm looking forward to this being done shortly so I can move on. I hope this information is helpful to anyone else looking for answers.

May I ask, was the amount they told you what you were expecting? We are close to the same time frame and that is potentially a long period of backpay....

k9vet

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
May I ask, was the amount they told you what you were expecting? We are close to the same time frame and that is potentially a long period of backpay....
It was actually more than I figured even when I used the higher amount. I’m still not confident it’s what I’ll actually get but if so it’s about 5k more.

Irishman1836

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
It was actually more than I figured even when I used the higher amount. I’m still not confident it’s what I’ll actually get but if so it’s about 5k more.

thats great! Congrats. Keep us posted on your progress. I figure I still have a few months of waiting ahead for mine.

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Some comments about CRSC for CH 61 retirees with less than 20 yeas service.

1. First the computation of Retired Pay.
All of the retirement plans determine your monthly pay by multiplying your retired pay base by a service percentage:

Retired Pay Base
x Service Percent Multiplier
= Gross Retired Pay

Your gross retired pay is rounded down to the nearest dollar.

2. Service percent multipler for active duty:
ACTIVE DUTY
The longer you stay on active duty, the higher your retirement pay. Each year of active duty service is worth 2.5 percent toward your service percent multiplier.

A retiree with 20 years of service would have a service percent multiplier of 50 percent:

2.5% x 20 years = 50%

3. Service multiplier for disability retirement:
DISABILITY RETIREMENT
The multiplier for disability retired pay is either:

—2.5 percent for each year of service,
or
—disability percentage assigned by the service at the time you retire

Either way, the multiplier is limited to 75 percent by law. If you are on the Temporary Disability Retired List, the minimum multiplier is 50 percent while on the TDRL. DFAS uses the method that results in the largest payment. Disability Retired Pay is reduced by the amount of VA compensation...VA Offset.

4. CRSC for Disabilty Retiree with less than 20 years active duty:

The CRSC will be the LESSER of
—CRSC percentage approved by service . The amount equates to the same percentage in VA compensation tables (chart).
OR
—Dollar amount of longevity portion of retirement pay (2.5% x years of AD x high three base pay).
Residual retired pay from the VA offset reduces the amount of CRSC for CH 61 retirees with <20 years AD.

Changes in the VA compensation amount also changes the VA offset amount. Separate computations are required for such cases.

Ron

Last edited:

PEBMember2017

PEB Forum Regular Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
@RonG

Question:

1. For a disability retiree, is there a set percentage the retired pay would go up every year (For ex., 2.5 percent)?

2. If so, at the time the pay becomes higher than VA, does it then automatically switch over to the veteran receiving the DOD/PEB retired pay instead?

RonG

Super Moderator
Staff Member
PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
@RonG

Question:

1. For a disability retiree, is there a set percentage the retired pay would go up every year (For ex., 2.5 percent)?

2. If so, at the time the pay becomes higher than VA, does it then automatically switch over to the veteran receiving the DOD/PEB retired pay instead?
1. There is no set amount for increases; the increases for retired pay AND VA compensation are in the form of COLA and are established by Congress (in the years they are approved).

2. An increase via COLA increases both the retired pay gross and the amount of VA compensation which causes the reduction of retired pay in the same amount of VA comp.

3. In cases where the retired pay is higher than VA compensation and the retiree agreed to waive retired pay in the amount of VA compensation...the retiree keeps the residual retired pay as I have shown several times in this forum by use of examples .

4. Frankly, I see no benefit in declining receipt of VA compensation.

Ron

k3brad

Registered Member
Hi! I've been lurking this board for a few months and found a ton of helpful information for my husband and his CRSC application. I wanted to share his timeline in case it would be helpful to others :).

Medically Retired (purple heart) - 2/2010 (my husband had NO idea this program existed when he retired!)
Application received - 11/27/18
Application Approved - 2/12/19
First payment - 4/1/19
Retroactive payment - 4/16/19

ovenny.jermeto

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Hi! I've been lurking this board for a few months and found a ton of helpful information for my husband and his CRSC application. I wanted to share his timeline in case it would be helpful to others :).

Medically Retired (purple heart) - 2/2010 (my husband had NO idea this program existed when he retired!)
Application received - 11/27/18
Application Approved - 2/12/19
First payment - 4/1/19
Retroactive payment - 4/16/19

Congratulations!! Good that he is been taken care of..I got my first pay in Feb 1st 2019 and still waiting for retro..it’s been over 60 days

link11B

Registered Member
Shoot I might as well give my time line.

IDK what is happening with people having issues. My process was straightforward so I can't comment of hold ups or anything like that. All I can say is if you have valid reasoning for a crsc. Then you shouldn't be disapproved.

Army
Med retired Jan 2013
Submitted packet December 2018
Approval January 2019
First pay April 1
Retro April 16
Just about 6 years worth of back pay totalling $16,000 plus. Hope this helps.

ovenny.jermeto

PEB Forum Veteran
Registered Member
Shoot I might as well give my time line.

IDK what is happening with people having issues. My process was straightforward so I can't comment of hold ups or anything like that. All I can say is if you have valid reasoning for a crsc. Then you shouldn't be disapproved.

Army
Med retired Jan 2013
Submitted packet December 2018
Approval January 2019
First pay April 1
Retro April 16
Just about 6 years worth of back pay totalling $16,000 plus. Hope this helps.

Congratulations!!

Now did you get a CRSC retro statment on MyPay prior to or not?? Because I did talk to DFAS this morning and the lady said I will not get a retro statment. As of April 10th 2019 my retro pay is still in the audit process.

Mike2686

PEB Forum Regular Member
Registered Member
Congratulations!!

Now did you get a CRSC retro statment on MyPay prior to or not?? Because I did talk to DFAS this morning and the lady said I will not get a retro statment. As of April 10th 2019 my retro pay is still in the audit process.
Not sure if he did, but I got a retro pay statement. Several others who have posted theirs have as well. I know there were some posts from 2018ish that stated they didn't get a retro pay statement though. I guess its hit or miss on them?

data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-matched-content-rows-num="3" data-matched-content-columns-num="1" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">