My CRSC Timeline.

8.67 AD years x 0.025 = 21.67% longevity multiplier

High three average base pay x 0.2167 = longevity amount of retired pay.

I think your adviser had the longevity amount since $800+ is the lowest 50% rate as of 1 December 2018,

Ron

You are welcome.

Usually there is a COLA increase each 1 December so previous amounts would be a bit less. In other words, the COLA increase on 1 December 2018 increased the longevity amount computed using 1 December 2017 rates.

Ron

Ugh thought was done with appointment’s. Yesterday get a call from Houston VES that they want me to an optometrist now. I already saw a regular Dr., a Physiatrists Dr. did urine/labs, Dental Dr., now this other on Dec 11. They say my claim is on or about done Dec. 3. That my claim is being expedited not sure why getting that. Wondering why getting all these extra appointment’s.

Ron,

I received a direct deposit from ACH CREDIT DFAS-CLEVELAND RAVC of $2473.48. If this is the retro pay, my belief is that the amount should be around $14.7k from May 2017- May 2019 at 50% CRSC. This only adds $100 a month for the 24 months due. Instead the amount should had been around $612. Though I heard that the retro pay may be broken to multiple payouts and the rest will come. I will call them today to confirm. But just wanted to let you know of current situation.

-John

Ron,

I received a direct deposit from ACH CREDIT DFAS-CLEVELAND RAVC of $2473.48. If this is the retro pay, my belief is that the amount should be around $14.7k from May 2017- May 2019 at 50% CRSC. This only adds $100 a month for the 24 months due. Instead the amount should had been around $612. Though I heard that the retro pay may be broken to multiple payouts and the rest will come. I will call them today to confirm. But just wanted to let you know of current situation.

-John
I don't really know how much you will receive, I don't remember computing your CRSC and did not see it in this thread. I believe you were assisted though the Wounded Warrior program.

Here is a post I offered in November:

Since you mentioned certain percentages for CRSC and VA compensation, keep in mind that:
--CRSC cannot be more than the VA waiver/offset (i.e., the reduction of retired pay)

--CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay (e.g., Active duty years x 0.025 x average high 3 base pay = longevity portion of retired pay)

--CRSC when combined with any residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay

--CRSC is the lesser of the CRSC percentage amount approved by service or the longevity portion of retired pay. The amounts in the VA compensation tables are used for the CRSC percentage approved by service.

Ron

Update:

Active Duty: Aug 2008- Apr 2017

CRSC Approved: March 2019 50%

Monthly payment began: May 2019

Retro Pay due: May 2017-Apr 2019 50%

A few weeks ago I received a direct deposit from DFAS to my account of $2473 assuming this is the retro pay. However, a statement of the retro amount was never received. I was getting paid $631 a month at 50% for 2019. Add cost of living, it would had been around $618 for 2018 and $606 for 2017. Doing the math, I was owed 24 months of retro of at least $600 a month equaling a bit over $14.5k. I was surprised by the amount they gave back and they said there are no more multiple payouts coming. I am 100% certain that they underpaid me because I would had received at least $600 for the first 24 months due. Instead received about $103 per month. The math does not add up here. On top of that, I called them back in September to check up and they said the audit never began and then this happens! It’s sad and unfortunate how inefficient, slow and the lack of transparency DFAS/VA really are. A letter was already sent to DFAS a few weeks ago about this. Curious if anyone here has gone thru a similar situation.

Hello johnescal,

Just passing by...

Some elements of CRSC:

High three average base pay x 0.2167 = longevity amount of your retired pay.

1. The CRSC paid is not always the CRSC percentage approved by one's service.

2. CRSC cannot be more than the VA waiver/offset (i.e., the reduction of retired pay) In other words, if the waived amount (VA offset) is only $320 (random example), then one of the ceilings is $320

3. CRSC cannot exceed the dollar amount of the longevity portion of retired pay (e.g., Active duty years x 0.025 x average high 3 base pay = longevity portion of retired pay)
Your case from previous posts:
High three average base pay x 0.2167 = longevity amount of your retired pay.

4. CRSC when combined with any residual retired pay cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay

5. CRSC is the lesser of the CRSC percentage amount approved by service or the longevity portion of retired pay. The amounts in the VA compensation tables are used for the CRSC percentage approved by service. It is also limited by the amount of the reduction/waiver of retired pay.

Ron

2019 Retirement Pay: 1455
VA Pay -879

CRSC PAY: $631

2018 and 2017 were a bit less. Are you suggesting the $2473 DFAS Paid on Dec 19,2019 is all there is? I just imagined if I was paid monthly the first two years of a bit over $600 avg, it would add up to near $15k retro pay thats due. Feels like the $12k plus thats still due was cheated out of this. Thats unfortunate and disappointing if true.

Last edited:
VA Pay -879

2018 and 2017 were a bit less. Are you suggesting the $2473 DFAS Paid on Dec 19,2019 is all there is? I just imagined if I was paid monthly the first two years of a bit over $600 avg, it would add up to near $15k retro pay thats due. Feels like the $12k plus thats still due was cheated out of this. Thats unfortunate and disappointing if true.
Based on the information you have provided, you have received 1180.78 from DFAS.
549.78 residual retired pay
plus
631 CRSC
TOTAL: 1180.78

You apparently also receive 879 from the VA as VA compensation.

As I mentioned earlier, your CRSC as a CH 61 retiree with less than 20 years cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay; other ceilings may also apply.
The combination of residual retired pay and CRSC cannot exceed the longevity portion of retired pay as well. See my preceding post for additional considerations.

I suspect you are receiving the maximum possible...1180.78 from DFAS. I cannot say for sure because I never computed a CRSC estimate for you.

Note: If the amount of VA compensation decreases, the amount to be considered for CRSC replacement decreases as well...the offset is less.

Ron

edited to add:
If you would like for me to compute your CRSC, please provide all of the following in one post:
—High three average base pay OR the gross retired pay on DFAS RAS (which is preferred)
—DoD disability percentage
—Active duty years OR active duty equivalent years for those with reserve time (total points divided by 360)
—VA compensation percentage; amount; and dependents (category, number, and ages of children)
—Approved CRSC percentage

Last edited:
VA Pay -879

Any updates on this? Have you called DFAS or checked your MyPay CRSC STATEMENT? From what i have read RAVC pertains to something with an automated travel pay but I also tead it can have something to do with retiree’s. Its an automated system.

I also have seen that CRSC retro payments will show up in the crsc statement on MyPay so by now surely you’ve seen that or talked to DFAS right?

Per two non-government web sites: "RAVC is a code used for travel payments paid by DFAS.

I found "RAVC" mentioned once on a DFAS page: "Payments made via RAVC (“R” Automated Voucher Check) (manual payment). " This info clarifies nothing since it does not
limit the payment to travel.

From 2007: "Ok, had to go back and look at my bank deposit for the date it showed up. I applied for (retro) CRSC in November- December 2005 and it was calculated back to June 2003. A deposit of $30,369 was put into my account on 20 April 2006 and it came from DFAS and is listed as RAVC. When I went through the process it was called CRSC retro pay, don't know what the diiference is, but I ain't complaining! "

Retroactive payments of CRSC are made out of cycle. In other words, they are not delayed until the end of a particular month.

Ron

16JUN17 - HRC received my packet.
16JUN18 - HRC approved my packet.
20JUN18 - I received my approval letter by mail. DFAS received my packet the same day.
20JUL18 - CRSC packet populated in my HRC records.
25JUL18 - CRSC LES hit MYPAY account.
01AUG18 - Received my first monthly CRSC payment.
03AUG18 - Received my 16 months of CRSC backpay.

Hope this answers some questions for Soldiers still in the process.
Jason,

Can you send me a list of what you submitted? An if you didn't have everything where did you acquire it?

James

Jason,

Can you send me a list of what you submitted? An if you didn't have everything where did you acquire it?

James
Hello,

Jason has not visited this site in more than one year.
Last seen Jan 28, 2019

Ron

Per two non-government web sites: "RAVC is a code used for travel payments paid by DFAS.

I found "RAVC" mentioned once on a DFAS page: "Payments made via RAVC (“R” Automated Voucher Check) (manual payment). " This info clarifies nothing since it does not
limit the payment to travel.

From 2007: "Ok, had to go back and look at my bank deposit for the date it showed up. I applied for (retro) CRSC in November- December 2005 and it was calculated back to June 2003. A deposit of $30,369 was put into my account on 20 April 2006 and it came from DFAS and is listed as RAVC. When I went through the process it was called CRSC retro pay, don't know what the diiference is, but I ain't complaining! "

Retroactive payments of CRSC are made out of cycle. In other words, they are not delayed until the end of a particular month.

Ron
Is there a way to calculate the retro pay? Or do you just trust them to pay correct amount? I did some math, but theres no way it's correct.

what was VA % FOR THIS ?

After reviewing my comments to the case you are referring to (last year), I doubt the amount was from the VA compensation tables.

My reply to Redbeard last year included, "I can offer that based on the info that the first CRSC payment you received was $322, it appears you are receiving the dollar amount of the longevity portion of your retirement pay as CRSC. The amount compared to the approved percentages suggests a relatively short period of active duty. This is conjecture on my part.
If I am correct, you could get a rough estimate of your retro CRSC by multiplying the total number of months involved x $322."

The actual VA compensation he received from the VA could have been anywhere from ~$130 or so to $3000+ "

Ron

Is there a way to calculate the retro pay? Or do you just trust them to pay correct amount? I did some math, but theres no way it's correct.
A rough estimate for retro CRSC could be computed by taking the current amount of CRSC and multiplying that amount by the number of months in the retroactive period.

There are several factors that would make the amount less in prior years including:
--Future COLA increases not yet applied
--Changes in VA compensation rates
--Different approved CRSC rates
--CRDP selected over CRSC in certain cases
--Other

Those reasons are why I only offer an estimate for the current rate of CRSC.

If you feel your retro CRSC is in error, you can request an audit by DFAS by submitting your signed request to:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

Ron

A rough estimate for retro CRSC could be computed by taking the current amount of CRSC and multiplying that amount by the number of months in the retroactive period.

There are several factors that would make the amount less in prior years including:
--Future COLA increases not yet applied
--Changes in VA compensation rates
--Different approved CRSC rates
--CRDP selected over CRSC in certain cases
--Other

Those reasons are why I only offer an estimate for the current rate of CRSC.

If you feel your retro CRSC is in error, you can request an audit by DFAS by submitting your signed request to:

Defense Finance and Accounting Service
U.S. Military Retired Pay
8899 E 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46249-1200

Ron
Thank you, I guess we’ll just have to see! Lol
I feel my CRSC amount is correct, just haven’t heard anything on backpay. So I was just curious