TIME LINE HELP!!! [severance pay & taxes]

DFAS is no help at all. I asked them for an estimate on what I would get paid for retirement and they asked me if I was retired yet and then said they couldn't help me. I think they just sit at a computer and read rebuttals off a computer. I wasn't on the flow chart. Robots.

DFAS is no help at all. I asked them for an estimate on what I would get paid for retirement and they asked me if I was retired yet and then said they couldn't help me. I think they just sit at a computer and read rebuttals off a computer. I wasn't on the flow chart. Robots.
Hello,

If you provide precise answers to the following, I would be happy to give you an estimate:

1. High three average base for retirement (i.e., the total of your highest 36 months for pay divided by 36).

2. Approved DoD disability retirement pay percentage.

3. Number of years of active duty (or active duty equivalent for reserves). Please show as this example: 20 years and 7 months .

4. Indicate if you have qualified for a retirement other than disability (e.g., qualified for active duty retirement, regular retirement)

5. VA compensation
— amount
— number of dependents by category
Example: spouse & 3 children under 18
—type SMC, if any, and amount

6. Approved or anticipated CRSC approval percentage

Ron

That's great. When I talked to MMR4 a few weeks back, they told me they aren't responsible for that and couldn't give me a calculation. I'm glad you got some help from them!

Called today and was told it's under quality control review. Hoping it's part of the process and mine didn't get pulled for something extra which would require more time.

TXWI,

Re: "DFAS is no help at all. I asked them for an estimate on what I would get paid for retirement and they asked me if I was retired yet and then said they couldn't help me. I think they just sit at a computer and read rebuttals off a computer. I wasn't on the flow chart. Robots."

I agree that DFAS is not perfect, but I am not surprised they were unable or unwilling to provide an estimate. They are already back-logged by several months and the estimate you requested can be furnished by a non-DFAS individual. Some VSOs provide estimates and I have seen CRSC estimate worksheets used by some PEBLOs (Physical Evaluation Board Liaison Officers).

Regards,
Ron

Edited to add: This link might be of help in determining your CRSC. CRSC computations LINK <-----

Last edited:
RonG- here are my numbers

1. High three average base for retirement = 7,089

2. Approved DoD disability retirement pay percentage = 80%

3. Number of years of active duty = 20 years 4 months

4. Indicate if you have qualified for a retirement other than disability = qualified for active duty retirement

5. VA compensation
— 100%
— number of dependents by category= spouse & 3 children under 18
—type SMC, if any, and amount= N/A

6. Approved or anticipated CRSC approval percentage=70%

Hello TXWI,

Here is the estimate based on your data.

1. High three average base for retirement = 7,089

2. Approved DoD disability retirement pay percentage = 80% Remark: 7089 x 0.75 = 5316.76 DoD disability retirement
5316.76 reduced by 3521.79 VA comp = 1794.97 residual retired pay

3. Number of years of active duty = 20 years 4 months Remark: 20.333 AD years x 0.025 =50.83 % longevity multiplier
7089 x 0.5083 = 3603.34 dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay

4. Indicate if you have qualified for a retirement other than disability = qualified for active duty retirement

5. VA compensation Remark: $3,352.41 + (2 x 84.69) = 3521.79
— 100%
— number of dependents by category= spouse & 3 children under 18
—type SMC, if any, and amount= N/A

6. Approved or anticipated CRSC approval percentage= 70% Remark: $1,609.71 + (2 x 59) = 1721.71

Comment:
DoD 7000.14-R Financial Management Regulation Volume 7B, Chapter 63

Reductions for periods on or after January 1, 2013.

1. Members retired for disability under 10 U.S.C., Chapter 61 with 20 or more years of creditable service computed under section 10 U.S.C. § 1208 will have the maximum CRSC payment restricted to the amount, which when combined with any remaining retired pay after VA offset, will not exceed the applicable retired pay to which the member would otherwise have been entitled under any other provisions of law. A retiree who accepted the Career Status Bonus will have the reduced amount calculated based on retired pay that would otherwise have been computed under 10 U.S.C. § 1409(b)(2).

Considerations: 1794.97 residual retired pay; 70% CRSC 1721.71; 3603.34 dollar amount of longevity portion of retired pay

3603.34 ceiling minus 1794.97 residual retired pay = 1808.37 amount remaining for potential CRSC; however, the approved CRSC amount is 1721.71
This results in monthly payment of 1794.97 residual retired pay plus 1721.71 CRSC = 3516.68 TOTAL EACH MONTH

-------------------

IF you choose CRDP, you receive:
1794.97 residual retired pay
and (3603.34 - 1794.97) = 1808.37 CRDP

Total: 3603.34 with CRDP which is more than "with CRSC"

Ron

Followed up today and was told that the review I'm in is because they had to manually calculate it. He said it is the last part of the process before it is paid out so I need to check back in 30 days! So hopefully we all get an update soon!

We separated the same day and are both Marines so hopefully it'll be the same time. Please update if yours comes in! Thanks!!

What sucks is since it's in review, they can't tell me the calculated amount because it can change during the final process. Hopefully yours is in the final review. It sucks the inconsistency when calling. Each person's answer varies.

Im not sure how long it takes you to get to a tier 2 associate but I was on hold for 45 min today!

One time I waited almost 3 hours for her to tell me that she couldn't tell me anything. Usually it's about 45 minutes to an hour. I've called a handful of times since May 1st and honestly only one of those times was actually helpful. Now I'm just leaving it alone cause no one knows anything apparently. Lol

I get a different story everytime I call. I called today to have on associate tell me that it looked like it was dispersed on the 1st and so I hung up to see if the disconnect what with the bank. It wasnt. Called back they had no clue how she saw that.

Same thing here. I get told something contradicting every time I call. No one knows what's going on over there. Hopefully everything updates soon for everyone.

Ok got in touch with DFAS today still no update but the associate I spoke with submitted an inquiry and has told me that if nothing changes in the next week to call back.

A rep did that for me too. She told me to call back 7 business days later. When I did, that's when they told me it was under quality control review and they couldn't tell me anything for 30 days but that it was the last step in the process. Hopefully yours moves along as well!