Last VA Appt -Dec 21
All DBQs in Tricare- Jan 4
NARSUM received- Feb 2
NARSUM signed- Feb 7
Package sent to PEB- Feb 9
VA Case Closed in app- Feb 20
Called VA and received proposed rating- Feb 26

Total time: 167 days

Does anyone have guess at the timeline to receiving findings from the PEB? I have seen it move very fast for some and very slow for others.

Looks like you moved pretty quickly through the IPEB phase. My case was submitted to the PEB on 12 Feb and I haven't heard anything yet, and no confirmation on the VA app about the case being closed.

From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, the timeline now can range anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks.

Looks like you moved pretty quickly through the IPEB phase. My case was submitted to the PEB on 12 Feb and I haven't heard anything yet, and no confirmation on the VA app about the case being closed.

From what I've read elsewhere on this forum, the timeline now can range anywhere from 3 to 8 weeks.
That's good to hear, looks like you should be seeing the VA case closed on the Va website/ app this week hopefully.

AD Navy here (also WRNMMC) - I'm on roughly the same timeline for PEB proceedings as you all. From what I can tell, Navy/USMC shares the same PEB in Washington D.C., so figured I'd throw my info in for the sake of tracking:

09MAR2023 - medboard referral
17APR2023 - IDES intake (PEBLO / legal / etc.)
17MAY2023 - MSC meeting
24MAY2023 - claim opened with VA (not visible on website/apps - must call hotline)
20JUN2023 - C&P exams complete
27DEC2023 - dis-enrolled / re-enrolled in IDES to add "does not meet retention" condition (directed by NARSUM provider to do this prior to continuing with MEB phase)
16JAN2024 - additional "does not meet retention" condition C&P exam complete
24JAN2024 - single new claim opened and closed on VA.gov ("BEL" letter - no document available on website/app, called for proposed ratings to be emailed)
31JAN2024 - proposed ratings sent to PEB (informed by MSC of this)
02FEB2024 - NARSUM/MEB complete
05FEB2024 - NARSUM signed
07FEB2024 - package submitted to PEB
07FEB2024 - package submitted to VA
09FEB2024 - package accepted by PEB
13FEB2024 - package begins "Screening Phase" at PEB
22FEB2024 - package begins "Voting Phase" at PEB
26FEB2024 - VA Rater Assigned, estimated claim completion date of 01MAR2024 (VA rep wasn't supposed to tell me the estimate, apparently - already have proposed ratings from 24JAN2024, as well, so who knows...)
27FEB2024 - PEB reports package still in "Voting Phase" with Medical Officer

IDES TIMELINE THUS FAR
Referred to MEB- Sept 13
First VA Appt- Sept 29
Last VA Appt -Dec 21
All DBQs in Tricare- Jan 4
NARSUM received- Feb 2
NARSUM signed- Feb 7
Package sent to PEB- Feb 9
VA Case Closed in app- Feb 20
Called VA and received proposed rating- Feb 26

Total time: 167 days

Does anyone have guess at the timeline to receiving findings from the PEB? I have seen it move very fast for some and very slow for others.
USMC-0341 - I just spoke with a PEB representative in DC today (27FEB2024): He said don't hold your breath for findings until the PEB requests ratings from the VA. Apparently the VA can finish proposed ratings (and close case) well before the PEB is even done with fit/unfit voting. Proposed ratings just sit with the VA until PEB has made their determination on fitness and actually requests the ratings - any timeline/countdown to official findings won't start until the PEB makes that request for the ratings from the VA (they also only request them if you're found unfit). Apparently they've switched to full duel-processing now - PEB and VA's DRAS get your package at the same time after your MEB and they each do their own thing completely independently. As long as the PEB takes long enough with their findings, DRAS will rate and close your case no matter what (only time they'll actually stop is if "fit" notification gets to them before rater is done - if that happens, the VA will have a document stating you were deemed fit / dis-enrolled from IDES and to disregard any proposed ratings you ever received).

Again, just heard all of that from the PEB representative in DC today, but please let me know if you hear otherwise - coming up on my 1 year in this process and could use some hope.

Last edited:
AD Navy here (also WRNMMC) - I'm on roughly the same timeline for PEB proceedings as you all. From what I can tell, Navy/USMC shares the same PEB in Washington D.C., so figured I'd throw my info in for the sake of tracking:

09MAR2023 - medboard referral
17APR2023 - IDES intake (PEBLO / legal / etc.)
17MAY2023 - MSC meeting
24MAY2023 - claim opened with VA (not visible on website/apps - must call hotline)
20JUN2023 - C&P exams complete
27DEC2023 - dis-enrolled / re-enrolled in IDES to add "does not meet retention" condition (directed by NARSUM provider to do this prior to continuing with MEB phase)
16JAN2024 - additional "does not meet retention" condition C&P exam complete
24JAN2024 - single new claim opened and closed on VA.gov ("BEL" letter - no document available on website/app, called for proposed ratings to be emailed)
31JAN2024 - proposed ratings sent to PEB (informed by MSC of this)
02FEB2024 - NARSUM/MEB complete
05FEB2024 - NARSUM signed
07FEB2024 - package submitted to PEB
07FEB2024 - package submitted to VA
09FEB2024 - package accepted by PEB
13FEB2024 - package begins "Screening Phase" at PEB
22FEB2024 - package begins "Voting Phase" at PEB
26FEB2024 - VA Rater Assigned, estimated claim completion date of 01MAR2024 (VA rep wasn't supposed to tell me the estimate, apparently - already have proposed ratings from 24JAN2024, as well, so who knows...)
27FEB2024 - PEB reports package still in "Voting Phase" with Medical Officer

USMC-0341 - I just spoke with a PEB representative in DC today (27FEB2024): He said don't hold your breath for findings until the PEB requests ratings from the VA. Apparently the VA can finish proposed ratings (and close case) well before the PEB is even done with fit/unfit voting. Proposed ratings just sit with the VA until PEB has made their determination on fitness and actually requests the ratings - any timeline/countdown to official findings won't start until the PEB makes that request for the ratings from the VA (they also only request them if you're found unfit). Apparently they've switched to full duel-processing now - PEB and VA's DRAS get your package at the same time after your MEB and they each do their own thing completely independently. As long as the PEB takes long enough with their findings, DRAS will rate and close your case no matter what (only time they'll actually stop is if "fit" notification gets to them before rater is done - if that happens, the VA will have a document stating you were deemed fit / dis-enrolled from IDES and to disregard any proposed ratings you ever received).

Again, just heard all of that from the PEB representative in DC today, but please let me know if you hear otherwise - coming up on my 1 year in this process and could use some hope.
Just to clarify, the document that tells you to disregard proposed ratings due to "fit" finding / dis-enrollment from IDES could also be uploaded after the rater finishes your claims (closes case, proposed ratings available, etc) - that just means the PEB determination took longer than DRAS.

So basically, no fitness determination (and countdown to findings) is confirmed until (1) you get verbal/written correspondence from an authority (PEBLO, MSC, PEB) that confirms "unfit", or (2) speak with the VA or PEB and one of them confirms that your proposed ratings were requested by (and sent to) the PEB. Only after that point would you start the 3-8 week countdown usmc0612 mentioned for your VA/DOD findings.

Just to clarify, the document that tells you to disregard proposed ratings due to "fit" finding / dis-enrollment from IDES could also be uploaded after the rater finishes your claims (closes case, proposed ratings available, etc) - that just means the PEB determination took longer than DRAS.

So basically, no fitness determination (and countdown to findings) is confirmed until (1) you get verbal/written correspondence from an authority (PEBLO, MSC, PEB) that confirms "unfit", or (2) speak with the VA or PEB and one of them confirms that your proposed ratings were requested by (and sent to) the PEB. Only after that point would you start the 3-8 week countdown usmc0612 mentioned for your VA/DOD findings.
Got you, I did receive a call from a PEB Adjudicator today who was reviewing my stuff, looks like it hasn't finished in terms of Fit/Unfit so my Va stuff definitely has not been requested. He did say he is 99% sure it is going to be Unift which is good news, hoping they request ratings soon as it seems the VA is on top of their game.

Got you, I did receive a call from a PEB Adjudicator today who was reviewing my stuff, looks like it hasn't finished in terms of Fit/Unfit so my Va stuff definitely has not been requested. He did say he is 99% sure it is going to be Unift which is good news, hoping they request ratings soon as it seems the VA is on top of their game.
That's awesome news, congrats! I hope you get the findings you're looking for (and are willing to fight for them if you don't).

Am definitely curious to see how quickly everything moves for you, looks like usmc0612 and I might be right behind. It seems like the VA and PEB have both kicked it into gear recently, I'll do some digging tonight on timelines from the past few months for request-to-findings to get a better idea of what you may be looking at.

Selfishly, would appreciate any updates on either of your cases as they come as well!

Last edited:
That's awesome news, congrats! I hope you get the findings you're looking for (and are willing to fight for them if you don't).

Am definitely curious to see how quickly everything moves for you, looks like usmc0612 and I might be right behind. It seems like the VA and PEB have both kicked it into gear recently, I'll do some digging tonight on timelines from the past few months for request-to-findings to get a better idea of what you may be looking at.

Selfishly, would appreciate any updates on either of your cases as they come as well!
Absolutely, my peblo gave me a timeline back on the 9th for 3-6 months but I feel like that timeline includes appeals and a bunch of other stuff. It seems like we should be getting the unfit notification within a week or two (hopefully). Looks like a lot of people have been in the 50/60 day range for findings after the unfit notification

***Update***

Spoke with a VA rep earlier about 45 minutes ago that said my proposed ratings were forwarded to the PEB yesterday March 4th. Couldn't get anyone to give me the proposed ratings so that's a bummer.

That said, my PEBLO told me that I had to be found unfit for the VA to send the proposed ratings to the PEB but I couldn't get through to the PEB to figure out where my case is. The waiting game continues...

***Update***

Spoke with a VA rep earlier about 45 minutes ago that said my proposed ratings were forwarded to the PEB yesterday March 4th. Couldn't get anyone to give me the proposed ratings so that's a bummer.

That said, my PEBLO told me that I had to be found unfit for the VA to send the proposed ratings to the PEB but I couldn't get through to the PEB to figure out where my case is. The waiting game continues...
Congrats on being found unift, assuming that is what you are looking for. Pretty sure its been pretty accurate that if you get ratings you are likely unfit. Hoping that the crew in this specific chain is out at the end of May, please keep updating this forum as you get good news! What i did for my claim was wait roughly 10 days from claim being closed, call the VA and say that i never received the letter with my disability rating, and asked for it to be emailed to me, they did it right away.

Congrats on being found unift, assuming that is what you are looking for. Pretty sure its been pretty accurate that if you get ratings you are likely unfit. Hoping that the crew in this specific chain is out at the end of May, please keep updating this forum as you get good news! What i did for my claim was wait roughly 10 days from claim being closed, call the VA and say that i never received the letter with my disability rating, and asked for it to be emailed to me, they did it right away.
Definitely noted on the information regarding receiving the letter, I'll try that!

Update to the update...

Got in contact with the PEB and after a few huffs and puffs from the guy on the phone was told that my case is still being voted on. It seems very similar to the information provided above from @pendingindefinitely where even though the VA side of things has been completed, the PEB gets to take their own timeline and once more, the waiting just continues and continues.

Really frustrated at the lack of transparency with the PEB side of the process and how you are expected to just wait, day after day, until one day someone calls you and tells you that you're fit or unfit and here are your ratings. I completely understand the caseload that the PEB is working with and I want to believe that each of them is doing their job to the best of their ability but why can there not be a system to track your progress.

I agree, in all reality I'm sure they are working 08-1530, no really need for urgency. The real bother for me is you can't plan what's happening next after you transition. Like we could be done by June, or we could be done by August. It's crazy.

I agree, in all reality I'm sure they are working 08-1530, no really need for urgency. The real bother for me is you can't plan what's happening next after you transition. Like we could be done by June, or we could be done by August. It's crazy.
You hit the nail right on the head.

That's my biggest concern. Planning for my future.

When you're single and don't have any possessions, it's relatively simple to pick up and just move to wherever is next. When you have four kids and a wife and an entire household that you have to support, life tends to get a little stressful not knowing when to begin looking for a job, when to begin house hunting or anything else for that matter.

Definitely noted on the information regarding receiving the letter, I'll try that!

Update to the update...

Got in contact with the PEB and after a few huffs and puffs from the guy on the phone was told that my case is still being voted on. It seems very similar to the information provided above from @pendingindefinitely where even though the VA side of things has been completed, the PEB gets to take their own timeline and once more, the waiting just continues and continues.

Really frustrated at the lack of transparency with the PEB side of the process and how you are expected to just wait, day after day, until one day someone calls you and tells you that you're fit or unfit and here are your ratings. I completely understand the caseload that the PEB is working with and I want to believe that each of them is doing their job to the best of their ability but why can there not be a system to track your progress.

Oof, I'm sorry - going from "we forwarded your ratings (ie unfit)" to "no, it's still being voted on (ie TBD)" sounds like an emotional punch to the solar plexus... I'm kind of in the same boat right now, actually - been meaning to update the gang on it. I had an official "Decision Review Officer (DRO) Reconsideration" document uploaded by the VA on 01MAR2024, which changed one of my initial proposed ratings from 24JAN2024 (ever since my exams were left on the VA's desk for 6 months, I harass the 1-800 VA reps every day to see where things are at / any new updates). From what I understand, those reconsiderations only happen when (1) the PEB finds something unfitting that the VA didn't rate properly, but need a rating for it to actually assign as unfitting, or (2) you request a VARR. So in my head, I read that as "PEB found me unfit for at least one thing and requested ratings". Cut to this morning, called the PEB - "your case is still being voted on". Brutal.

I actually have a theory about what's going on behind the scenes with disparate VA/PEB status updates that @usmc0612 might be able to help verify - not sure if either of you are tracking what the JDETS tracker is (i'll post it below), but basically a spreadsheet of where we're at on this tracker gets pushed out to our PEBLOs either weekly or bi-weekly (the last one sent out was on 22FEB2024). Apparently PEBLOs used to have direct access to real-time updates, but they removed the feature from them recently, so now they only get a little status spreadsheet forwarded to them. The theory is: the PEB representative is giving status updates off of the last tracker that they sent out (with could be up to 2 weeks behind your actual case status). The verification would be: today, my PEBLO said that the next updated spreadsheet is slated to come out sometime this week - if the PEB has actually requested @usmc0612's ratings, then your update should be reflected in the new spreadsheet (ie PEBLO/PEB would be able to confirm on Friday whether PEB requested your ratings for VA ratings or not). I know we're kind of getting into tea-leaves reading territory over here, but at least its something to do... and also semi-validates calling them for another update on Friday. Worst case the theory is wrong, best case at least we know why nobody is on the same page.

If you want to go even deeper down the rabbit hole, on my call with the VA today, the woman I spoke to mentioned that they actually have an estimated date of discharge for me in their system (it's 2 months away - early May 2024)... I'm not sure if that's new or not, but I hadn't heard of any "estimated discharge date" until today. I mention that with a huge grain of salt, though - my VA claim started in May of last year and I've heard of some sort of magic "1 year expiration" on VA claims floating around on this forum, so who knows... That being said, if you're looking for someone to call right now and possibly have an official human being give you some sort of discharge date (if only for false-hope/a temporary moral boost), it may be worth bugging the 1-800 VA number to ask if they have anything like that for you.

Let me know if these rants become unhelpful, otherwise will keep the gang updated with anything else I hear...

Attachments

• JDETS_Flow.png
    JDETS_Flow.png
    578.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Oof, I'm sorry - going from "we forwarded your ratings (ie unfit)" to "no, it's still being voted on (ie TBD)" sounds like an emotional punch to the solar plexus... I'm kind of in the same boat right now, actually - been meaning to update the gang on it. I had an official "Decision Review Officer (DRO) Reconsideration" document uploaded by the VA on 01MAR2024, which changed one of my initial proposed ratings from 24JAN2024 (ever since my exams were left on the VA's desk for 6 months, I harass the 1-800 VA reps every day to see where things are at / any new updates). From what I understand, those reconsiderations only happen when (1) the PEB finds something unfitting that the VA didn't rate properly, but need a rating for it to actually assign as unfitting, or (2) you request a VARR. So in my head, I read that as "PEB found me unfit for at least one thing and requested ratings". Cut to this morning, called the PEB - "your case is still being voted on". Brutal.

I actually have a theory about what's going on behind the scenes with disparate VA/PEB status updates that @usmc0612 might be able to help verify - not sure if either of you are tracking what the JDETS tracker is (i'll post it below), but basically a spreadsheet of where we're at on this tracker gets pushed out to our PEBLOs either weekly or bi-weekly (the last one sent out was on 22FEB2024). Apparently PEBLOs used to have direct access to real-time updates, but they removed the feature from them recently, so now they only get a little status spreadsheet forwarded to them. The theory is: the PEB representative is giving status updates off of the last tracker that they sent out (with could be up to 2 weeks behind your actual case status). The verification would be: today, my PEBLO said that the next updated spreadsheet is slated to come out sometime this week - if the PEB has actually requested @usmc0612's ratings, then your update should be reflected in the new spreadsheet (ie PEBLO/PEB would be able to confirm on Friday whether PEB requested your ratings for VA ratings or not). I know we're kind of getting into tea-leaves reading territory over here, but at least its something to do... and also semi-validates calling them for another update on Friday. Worst case the theory is wrong, best case at least we know why nobody is on the same page.

If you want to go even deeper down the rabbit hole, on my call with the VA today, the woman I spoke to mentioned that they actually have an estimated date of discharge for me in their system (it's 2 months away - early May 2024)... I'm not sure if that's new or not, but I hadn't heard of any "estimated discharge date" until today. I mention that with a huge grain of salt, though - my VA claim started in May of last year and I've heard of some sort of magic "1 year expiration" on VA claims floating around on this forum, so who knows... That being said, if you're looking for someone to call right now and possibly have an official human being give you some sort of discharge date (if only for false-hope/a temporary moral boost), it may be worth bugging the 1-800 VA number to ask if they have anything like that for you.

Let me know if these rants become unhelpful, otherwise will keep the gang updated with anything else I hear...
That is good info. Hopefully we hear something this friday or early next week.

That is good info. Hopefully we hear something this friday or early next week.
Just an update for y'all, I am on day 49 of post VQ/QA and still waiting, just saw another guy get his on day 44, so one QA starts, I would expect 30-60 days.

is there any way for us to view this or only the Peblo?

is there any way for us to view this or only the Peblo?
PEBLO only, can ask them where you're at on the latest JDETS tracker update.

@pendingindefinitely I think that I'd rather take constant punches to the solar plexus than go through this process.

That said, the second paragraph referencing the JDETS spreadsheet and the updates is definitely super helpful and that's exactly why I post here because it seems like every single service member has a drastically different experience with everything from the VA to the PEBLOs and PEB timelines. I don't believe that there is any other place I would've found that information other than here. So thank you.

As far as calling and inquiring about my discharge date, I think that I'll just let that one ride for now lol. I'm not sure that I'm ready just yet to hear what that date is or is not. Thanks again for all of the insight!

@pendingindefinitely I think that I'd rather take constant punches to the solar plexus than go through this process.

That said, the second paragraph referencing the JDETS spreadsheet and the updates is definitely super helpful and that's exactly why I post here because it seems like every single service member has a drastically different experience with everything from the VA to the PEBLOs and PEB timelines. I don't believe that there is any other place I would've found that information other than here. So thank you.

As far as calling and inquiring about my discharge date, I think that I'll just let that one ride for now lol. I'm not sure that I'm ready just yet to hear what that date is or is not. Thanks again for all of the insight!
@usmc0612 - Of course, glad I could help a little bit! I'm just glad to have linked up with some people on the same timeline, hoping at least one of us has some news by the end of the week to keep moral up a bit.

( ) LDES
( ) IDES
(x) Solar Plexus Punches